Thread: Bass drum batter head replacement - HD

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum batter head replacement - HD

Here's a video I created showing me changing out my destroyed bass drum head.

Ignore the blunder. No components were damaged in this video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX2Rt347C9g"]‪Bass drum batter head replacement‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum batter head replacement - HD

I like these HD videos now Bish!
    That drill was a brilliant idea though. I wish I had though of that.
    Now just do some videos of snares and toms, add some commentary, and a little backgrond music, then you've got yourself a DVD that you can market.
    EDIT for spelling
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

Nice vid Bish. You sure are a man of few words!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hahahaha, Thanks for watching.

See my Exports head change thread. I'm getting more creative...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hey Bish where did you get the bit for the drill to fit the lugs. That sure speeds up the loop removal. Nive video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Hey Bish where did you get the bit for the drill to fit the lugs. That sure speeds up the loop removal. Nive video.
    I took one of my older, cheaper, generic drum keys and performed two simple actions to it. First, I ground off the "T" or handles from the main shaft, Then I took a grinder to it on 3 sides to match up with a drill chuck (no offense to MarktheChuck) and made it fit into the drill.

This illustration may make more sense.

The left item came with a drill bit set but the socket is too wide to fit into my bass drum hoop claws.

The middle item is a basic old generic drum key before any modding.

The right item is how it looks after the mods.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I took one of my older, cheaper, generic drum keys and performed two simple actions to it. First, I ground off the "T" or handles from the main shaft, Then I took a grinder to it on 3 sides to match up with a drill chuck (no offense to MarktheChuck) and made it fit into the drill.

This illustration may make more sense.

The left item came with a drill bit set but the socket is too wide to fit into my bass drum hoop claws.

The middle item is a basic old generic drum key before any modding.

The right item is how it looks after the mods.
    Thanks Bish I thought maybe it came out of a drill bit kit you can buy. I have all kinds of extra drum keys kicking around will try to make one like in the pics.

User Info Menu

You can do the same thing with the Evans drum key - the knurled round head fits right into the chuck of a drill - you just have to watch out for the spinning "T" part of the key. Same thing with the Tama key.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    You can do the same thing with the Evans drum key - the knurled round head fits right into the chuck of a drill - you just have to watch out for the spinning "T" part of the key. Same thing with the Tama key.
    I'm not sure I'd want to mod my TAMA drum key at all. It's already in a state of perfection.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Thanks Bish I thought maybe it came out of a drill bit kit you can buy. I have all kinds of extra drum keys kicking around will try to make one like in the pics.
    You can buy them. Many companies sell them. I have a Gibraltar one I got of the Bay for about $8 shipped. I attached a pic. They are irreplaceable for sure. Although it looks like a socket, it is one solid piece, and no bigger in diameter than a regular drum key.

Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

Larrysperf Guest

Man thats all we get DONE DONE lol Joking aside very cool straight forward video
    My ? is did you seat head before hand or off camera and clean bearing edges I know just to dam fussy

User Info Menu

ive been meaning to machine a drum key to fit my 1/4 cordless driver for this process. now i know its been done. lunchbreak on monday plus lathe and mill.
    makes me wanna set my 10 piece back up and swap heads!

User Info Menu

Why do I find myself not knowing I needed something until I read one of Bish's threads? Now I need a drum key drill bit.

Don't forget to check lug to shell snugness during head replacement. Oh well if something comes loose, it will only take 6 minutes to get to it and get back to playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Man thats all we get DONE DONE lol Joking aside very cool straight forward video
    My ? is did you seat head before hand or off camera and clean bearing edges I know just to dam fussy
    Aquarian heads don't require seating. You are NOT supposed to "break the glue" on them. The most you get from seating an Aquarian bass drum head is a hand print...not popular in most circles.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    ive been meaning to machine a drum key to fit my 1/4 cordless driver for this process. now i know its been done. lunchbreak on monday plus lathe and mill.
    makes me wanna set my 10 piece back up and swap heads!
    OMG, I laughed out loud and woke the wife up. She's not happy. I am, though.
    Signature here

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Aquarian heads don't require seating. You are NOT supposed to "break the glue" on them. The most you get from seating an Aquarian bass drum head is a hand print...not popular in most circles.
    Sorry but I always ,never mind I forgot your drums are new. Smack me later. But still puzzled dont your heads stretch. Hand print or not I always apply a bit of pressure while tuning my bass.

User Info Menu

My drill has a tension type setting, that stops the chuck from spinning at a certain tightness. There are settings from very weak (1), to very strong (20). Works fantastic. Setting it at 1 prevents you from over tightening the lugs by accident. The drill makes very quick work of head swaps.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

its my personal opinion that you should never use a drill ...i just think its better for the drum if you can feel the tension and tune the head in slow and evenly

i use 2 keys if i need to speed replace

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Sorry but I always ,never mind I forgot your drums are new. Smack me later. But still puzzled dont your heads stretch. Hand print or not I always apply a bit of pressure while tuning my bass.
    This is only true with Aquarian drum heads. Even the site doesn't recommend "setting the head" due to no glue sealing and "breaking the bond" or how ever it's determined.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreak View Post
    My drill has a tension type setting, that stops the chuck from spinning at a certain tightness. There are settings from very weak (1), to very strong (20). Works fantastic. Setting it at 1 prevents you from over tightening the lugs by accident. The drill makes very quick work of head swaps.

Same here. It's a very good safety precaution.

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    its my personal opinion that you should never use a drill ...i just think its better for the drum if you can feel the tension and tune the head in slow and evenly

i use 2 keys if i need to speed replace

If you watch the video closely, you may notice that I never take the lugs down to tension with the drill. I get close, then finger tighten and then use the drum key.
    Signature here