Thread: Building a snare drum.

User Info Menu

Default Building a snare drum.

Hey everyone!

I wanna surprise my dad by building a snare drum with him. But I'm wondering what the heck I'll need!

I want to make something with a big crack to it,

Any suggestions??
    Last edited by Fredr; 08-06-2011 at 04:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Building a snare drum.

Do you want to go the keller shell route, or build the shell yourself?
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Keller. We don't have the tools to make the shell haha

User Info Menu

You'll probably have to buy the the shell, and then from there decide on what you want for hardware and drill accordingly. This is when you would either lacquer up the drum or wrap it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    Keller. We don't have the tools to make the shell haha
    If you get it from Precision Drum Co. they can pre-drill the holes and cut snare beds for you.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I would at least get the bearing edges cut, and the snare beds cut. You can do the rest with a vice and a powered drill. You can decide on either a 8 lug drum or a 10 lug drum. Die cast hoops or triple flanged. You can do some nice stuff actually with rattle cans and some sand paper. Painting is all about the prep. Stuperpro just stained a kit. A nice purple finish.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Fredr, why not think outside the box and come up with a shell of your own! its gonna be tough, but two things...a great learning experience and a one of a kind! Not to make you feel bad, but if wood working is not your stronger trait, then of course a pre-made shell will always work.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I have made a guitar, assembled it and painted it that is. When we painted it it took a a coat or two of grain filler, then a clear coat, then a few white base coats, then the color. Of course, if you don't want to paint it but stain it, just the grain filler. Wrap? Well, that's easy.

User Info Menu

Buying the shells pre-drilled is a big help, but at least have the bearing edges and snare bed done (maybe chose strainer specs and have them drill those too so it'll all lined up). Trick has aluminum shells you can buy as well. There are a few companies that have carbon fiber. Some material suppliers will form acrylic for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Fredr, why not think outside the box and come up with a shell of your own! its gonna be tough, but two things...a great learning experience and a one of a kind! Not to make you feel bad, but if wood working is not your stronger trait, then of course a pre-made shell will always work.
    Don't limit yourself to wood, or even typical shell shapes. I've seen a guy make a snare out of an old aluminum Ford wheel. I'll be doing the same shortly. Eventually I'm going to attempt concrete. That should rock...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47