Thread: snare tuning Q.

User Info Menu

Default snare tuning Q.

anyone have any luck getting a good sound out of a mapex M birch stock snare? if so what heads / tension did you use?
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Default Re: snare tuning Q.

Try an Aquarian coated with a setting of 80-90 if you can use a TAMA Tension watch.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I agree with Bish on the setting 80-90 is always about right. You could also try the Evan's EC frosted reverse dot like in the picture. I have it on my maple and it sounds incredible with lots of different tones wherever you hit on the surface of the head. Great for ghost notes, rimshots etc.

User Info Menu

truly an indestructable head. ive tried to kill it and it just stares back at me. agreed there are a ton of different sounds you can get out of it. ive found the sweetspot tends to be 3 to 4 inches off center.

User Info Menu

I've had great luck using the genera dry on mine in the past. gives it a fuller sound without to many overtones.

Right now I'm trying the Aquarian texture coated on my 13in maple snare, i think it might be to thick though...
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I agree with Bish on the setting 80-90 is always about right. You could also try the Evan's EC frosted reverse dot like in the picture. I have it on my maple and it sounds incredible with lots of different tones wherever you hit on the surface of the head. Great for ghost notes, rimshots etc.

+1 on the EC Reverse Dot head. That thing can take a beating, but it keeps its tune at the same time. I use it with a mixture Birch and Maple snare, and it can certainly project some volume, but it sounds great. I recommend this snare head for sure.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

thanks for the replies fellers
    ive always used ambassadors on my snares, but this one just has no life to it, its all birch , ill see if i cant track one of those down
    ive never been a fan of "dotted' heads though, BAD MEMORIES OF MY BLACK DOT DAYS LOL
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    ive always used ambassadors on my snares, but this one just has no life to it, its all birch , ill see if i cant track one of those down
    ive never been a fan of "dotted' heads though, BAD MEMORIES OF MY BLACK DOT DAYS LOL
    Just a warning, form my experience, there is a huge difference from the dot and the less thick parts. It just seems to have a little more sustain, but it's nice to have a little difference of sound in the same drum.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coddude321 View Post
    +1 on the EC Reverse Dot head. That thing can take a beating, but it keeps its tune at the same time. I use it with a mixture Birch and Maple snare, and it can certainly project some volume, but it sounds great. I recommend this snare head for sure.
    I also use this head on my Ludwig Supraphonic. Sounds great. I also had to free myself from old bias against "dots".... But, now I am free and happier.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

The EC reverse dot is a 2ply ( 7mm + 7mm) and the dot is 3mm so you are getting a good durable head that has so many different sounds on its surface that it will amaze you on rim shots, ghost notes etc. I have used many heads over the years till I came across this head and will never go back.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-18-2011 at 08:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    I am the same way. I don't like dotted heads either. I am using a G2 head on my snare that is "normally" used as a tom head (similar to a coated Emperor). Gives me the exact sound I want without having to hit the center perfectly to get a consistent sound. I know there is a lot of guys using the G1 too. I think that is similar to the Ambassador.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

How do those frosted dots work with brushes?