Thread: tama time!

User Info Menu

Default tama time!

after many years apart, i have been reunited with this snare, my question is , where do i find lugs ,and a throw off and butt plate for it? any other info would be good too, as i didnt get any when i ordered it in 1997 serial is 050331.

*Chafey, the Forum Rules prohibit the commercial link. I gave you the pic instead. - PB*

MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Default Re: tama time!

Check ebay. I found a ton of parts that might work for your project.

If not, try universalpercussion dot com.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    after many years apart, i have been reunited with this snare, my question is , where do i find lugs ,and a throw off and butt plate for it? any other info would be good too, as i didnt get any when i ordered it in 1997 serial is 050331.

*Chafey, the Forum Rules prohibit the commercial link. I gave you the pic instead. - PB*

oh sorry, i thought that since it was over it might fly oopsiedoodle
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Check ebay. I found a ton of parts that might work for your project.

If not, try universalpercussion dot com.
    thanks bish, ebay was no use, these snares must be rarer than i had realized
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Not completely rare. I remember seeing a few Tama piccolo snares with those type of lugs back in the 90's. Just having a look on a Tama parts page for lugs. Can you tell me what particular model of snare it is? (that will speed the sleuthing up a bit). Plus I could get in touch via Facebook with a mate of mine, Adam Church, who used to run Bam Bam Music over here in Western Sydney.....Adam used to represent Tama drums for Australia quite a while back.....if there is anyone I know who knows his Tama gear, it's Adam.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Aha! Thought as such. Seems like you got a Tama Artwood piccolo from the early 90's. If you're after part numbers, here they are. The lugs are part no. MPL23 Piccolo. And the strainer and butt plate numbers are MPS20 Cam-Lever Piccolo/MCS50B. Snare wires are Snappy 6020 Steel. The hoop part no's are (triple flanged) *MFH14-10B6 (batter) and MFH14-10S6 (snare side). Just have to see whether Tama may still have those parts left in their inventory. See if your local drum store might be able to contact Tama about that, that's what I would do. But if you can find them second hand elsewhere, all the better.

*Note, the die-cast versions of these are also called MFH14-10B6 (batter) and MFH14-10S6 (snare side).
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 08-08-2011 at 08:42 AM.

User Info Menu

All that in under 7 hours..! Impressive, DD; all that's missing is the builders wifes maiden name..! Hats off..!
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    All that in under 7 hours..! Impressive, DD; all that's missing is the builders wifes maiden name..! Hats off..!
    You have a way with words Dad!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

wow! thanks, i just knew it was about the thinnest all birch snare i could get at the time, ive never heard anything like it since. im thinking about going away from the stock lugs as they twist when tightened, im thinking about running single lugs to the opposit side (ie) top facing bottom/ bottom facing the top, anybody know if a nicer throw off would fit this one?
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

found it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ab 2325!!!! only shows up in the 1997 catalogue
    but i am going to go with singlr point straight lugs on the old girl
    anybody need some old school offset lugs?
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Those old offset lugs would only be handy if I was making a piccolo snare, I'm afraid. Otherwise, I wouldn't have much use for them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Aha! Thought as such. Seems like you got a Tama Artwood piccolo from the early 90's. If you're after part numbers, here they are. The lugs are part no. MPL23 Piccolo. And the strainer and butt plate numbers are MPS20 Cam-Lever Piccolo/MCS50B. Snare wires are Snappy 6020 Steel. The hoop part no's are (triple flanged) *MFH14-10B6 (batter) and MFH14-10S6 (snare side). Just have to see whether Tama may still have those parts left in their inventory. See if your local drum store might be able to contact Tama about that, that's what I would do. But if you can find them second hand elsewhere, all the better.

*Note, the die-cast versions of these are also called MFH14-10B6 (batter) and MFH14-10S6 (snare side).
    i believe you are right except for the year, i could only find it in the 1997 catalog , but ...................man you are awesomeness,personified
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Those old offset lugs would only be handy if I was making a piccolo snare, I'm afraid. Otherwise, I wouldn't have much use for them.
    thats cool, after an entire night of googling, many people might be in need of them, thats why im going with other lugs
    now ,,,,,,,,,,are butt plates and throw offs (one size fits all)?
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

TAMA released a limited edition snare around that time that looks like that. they were 10 year old aged Rosewood. only one per dealer. I have one.

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I'll send you the link of the full history of Tama catalogues. I think I'd still have a few of these floating around in my lil' library here, lol (yeah, tell me about it, I don't throw anything away). That lug wasn't limited to a rosewood piccolo snare. In fact, you could get them also on brass, steel, bird's eye maple, cask wood (??), maple and covered or stain birch piccolo's, and they were pretty much available right from 1990, according to these catalogues. Not sure if the butt plates and strainers are universal, especially when it comes to piccolo strainers, but do a comparison through those catalogues that are listed, it's pretty comprehensive. Should help.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 08-10-2011 at 10:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Both Tama & Ludwig made snare drums w/ this shape of Lug. They would tend to turn at the mounting holes in the shell...from the leverage & tensions of tuning. ( not a good design ) When they turned, the alignments of the key rods was changed & added stress to the cast lugs would sometimes damage the lug castings & even snap them / crack them. Good luck in finding replacement lugs. Most often, drum shops can not sell these easily so they may part them out instead & add different tuning lugs as a pet project. Newer versions of this shallow snare drum feature better lugs. You may want to consider selling this & buying a less problematic design. Check Pearl's free floating design, where the shell is sandwiched between top rim & a cast bottom rim where the key rods fix to. Many of such designs are considered VINTAGE...but are just OLD problematic designs. They are only as valuable as a collector is willing to pay or a drummer values for practical & musical reasons. This drum...can be easily replaced by a different drum & simplify your life ! :-)