Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Drummers And Bad Solos

User Info Menu

Default Good Drummers And Bad Solos

Too often do I go to watch a video of one of the "greats" or a personal favorite drummer of mine play a solo, and find it just to be a speed and technique presentation, and not a musical solo. Don't get me wrong, speed when used wisely and in small amounts. A good example is Kenny, (I believe that's the correct name) who put up a video the other day that's still up. Sure, he plays fast at some parts, but it still sounds like music. Honestly, I'd rather here some kid play a simple groove with some fills thrown in there as a solo instead of some prog or metal drummer repeat the same pattern at 500 BPM for 3 minutes. Its not even all completely metal and prog drummers too, a lot of drummers just don't get it.

How about you guys post some good, musical drum solos to prove me wrong?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good Drummers And Bad Solos

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator42009 View Post
    Too often do I go to watch a video of one of the "greats" or a personal favorite drummer of mine play a solo, and find it just to be a speed and technique presentation, and not a musical solo. Don't get me wrong, speed when used wisely and in small amounts. A good example is Kenny, (I believe that's the correct name) who put up a video the other day that's still up. Sure, he plays fast at some parts, but it still sounds like music. Honestly, I'd rather here some kid play a simple groove with some fills thrown in there as a solo instead of some prog or metal drummer repeat the same pattern at 500 BPM for 3 minutes. Its not even all completely metal and prog drummers too, a lot of drummers just don't get it.

How about you guys post some good, musical drum solos to prove me wrong?

I understand what you are saying, but, in my better than 40 years of playing gigs (if I count my teen years), what I've found out is that most people want to see a drummer move around the set, hit everything, and throw the fast stuff in for good measure.

As a drummer, you want to see or hear certain things in a solo. The average person in a club usually isn't a musician (a lot of wannabees), they want to see a drummer play.

I got my best reactions when I went to the wall. For the most part, only drummers appreciate the type of solo you are talking about. The people (non musicians) want to see all the bells and whistles.

User Info Menu

+1 I'm with rickthedrummer on this. But Most guitar players don't know the difference either!

User Info Menu

I hate that. People say joey Jordison is the best drummer ever, only because of his speed. (no offense to jordison515 lol)
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

You know, I never even thought of it that way. Usually the advice is don't overplay during a song because you just need a good back-beat to keep the song going and the crowd enjoying the song. Now that I think about it I guess the crowd really just wants to see a drummer play as fast as he can and showoff.

I guess the best solo is a showoff solo that still sounds good and musical.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    +1 I'm with rickthedrummer on this. But Most guitar players don't know the difference either!

What do you expect, they are guitar players. They know how the singer should sing, how the bass player should play, same with the keyboard player, but, if you say something about their playing, look out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    I hate that. People say joey Jordison is the best drummer ever, only because of his speed. (no offense to jordison515 lol)
    Don't get me wrong but he is a REALLY good drummer, his double bass speed is impeccable, but I see what you mean
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

You know, I never even thought of it that way. Usually the advice is don't overplay during a song because you just need a good back-beat to keep the song going and the crowd enjoying the song. Now that I think about it I guess the crowd really just wants to see a drummer play as fast as he can and showoff.

I guess the best solo is a showoff solo that still sounds good and musical.

When the band is playing, your job is to keep it tight and not overplay. Solo time is your turn to do your stuff. I just tried to make it different from night to night.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    When the band is playing, your job is to keep it tight and not overplay. Solo time is your turn to do your stuff. I just tried to make it different from night to night.
    Ditto

User Info Menu

the world needs different drummers . we are all good in someones eyes . be glad we dont all play the same . im not a jazz or country lover , but there are some great drummers in both , just because they dont play the stuff that you like doesnt mean that they dont get it . they are all good..
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post

There isn't a drummer out there who will be called the best drummer ever, because the best drummer ever died 24 years ago. His influence on drumming still carries over to this day.

Fast is just that, fast. Doesn't mean you are a "good drummer", just means you are fast. Some are quicker than others, but, when is the last time you saw a slow drummer.

If you work on speed to the exclusion of other things, it means, obviously, that you are bypassing other things. Between the speed freaks and the stick twirlers, things are missing that were a normal part of playing not all that long ago. Taste and touch have fallen by the wayside.

I know that this won't sit well with the younger drummers, but there is more to playing drums than being super fast and throwing sticks all over the place.

User Info Menu

IMO, dynamics and taste should be the rule. Not speed and tricks. Too many drummers I hear, or in YouTube videos, don't seem to know a thing about dynamics. Pound'em hard and pound'em fast straight through to the finish. No thanks.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

Honestly, I think some people seem to stereotype beginners way too much. I always here everyone rant and rant about drummers who only want speed, and guys who know nothing about dynamics.. but how often do you see people like that? The only time I've ever seen people with major dynamic issues is people who haven't been playing long and are just getting into the song. Out of all the drummers I know (Only a few) they are all pretty good and know what they are doing, I've yet to meet any speed-demons who break their sticks and cymbals every other week, or hear any personal stories about them. Most of it seems like hype.

User Info Menu

Yeah, playing a solo to an audience of drummers has got to be a different experience than playing to average punters. I still enjoy watching solos that display speed, stick tricks and other things, but I have to admit that over the two decades and more of playing and practice, that my tastes have changed and matured over time and I appreciate and listen to a wide range of players. Young players and older ones, professionals or amateurs, we have to listen and take in things with an open mind. That's what I do at least.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Yeah, playing a solo to an audience of drummers has got to be a different experience than playing to average punters. I still enjoy watching solos that display speed, stick tricks and other things, but I have to admit that over the two decades and more of playing and practice, that my tastes have changed and matured over time and I appreciate and listen to a wide range of players. Young players and older ones, professionals or amateurs, we have to listen and take in things with an open mind. That's what I do at least.
    In my opinion, if a solo keeps a solid groove, and is something the audience can tap their feet to, but also throws in some fills with tricks and fast stuff, and then ends with a super-fast-crazy-drum-explosion-o***** its a great solo.

User Info Menu

Honestly, I think some people seem to stereotype beginners way too much. I always here everyone rant and rant about drummers who only want speed, and guys who know nothing about dynamics.. but how often do you see people like that? The only time I've ever seen people with major dynamic issues is people who haven't been playing long and are just getting into the song. Out of all the drummers I know (Only a few) they are all pretty good and know what they are doing, I've yet to meet any speed-demons who break their sticks and cymbals every other week, or hear any personal stories about them. Most of it seems like hype.

"but how often do you see people like that?"

More often then you might think.

User Info Menu

Something else to think about. If there's a crowded dance floor, I play my drum solos in time and around the groove. This way, they get the best of both.

User Info Menu

In a bar or club, nothing loses a crowd faster than a drum solo. I prefer to show off chops in a song, like Wont Get Fooled or Radar Love.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I know that this won't sit well with the younger drummers, but there is more to playing drums than being super fast and throwing sticks all over the place.
    I'm a 17 year old drummer in a power metal band. I like speed. I like stick tricks. I also agree with everything you've said.

When I'm playing a metal gig in a bar, my solos are generally very simple patterns like RLKK RLRL KK, at very high speeds, across the kit, with stick tricks thrown in. It's what the audience likes to see (note the word "see"). I also keep it fairly short. I hate playing those kind of solos though, lol!
    Last edited by xweasel; 08-07-2011 at 11:26 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Aviator, first, I am not trying to argue with you. I'm just pointing out things that I have seen.

I look at drummers from all eras. The thing I see with a lot of the younger drummers is that they seem to have a "one size fits all" solo.

All drummers have certain things they do that they fall back on during a solo, but you should use that to get you to the next pattern you are going to do. What I see with the younger guys, and by younger guys, I mean drummers of the last 15-20 years, especially since the double pedal made it easy to play double bass without lugging the extra BD around. (I'm not knocking it, I have one. I suck with it mainly because I played a hi-hat for 54 years and don't have the foot strenght yet). The thing is, you know that no matter what the drummer is doing, that he is going into that 250 BPM BD roll.

I don't see that much individuality between most, not all, of the drummers. 30-40 years ago, you could hear a Rich, Roach, Morello, Elvin Jones, Louis Belson and each had a distinctive sound. I don't hear that anymore, with a few rare exceptions.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is be your own man. Don't fix on one drummer to listen to. I was (and still am) a Buddy Rich fan, but I didn't let it stop me from listening to as many other drummers as I could, because every drummer, good or bad, has something to offer. I've said this before, that one of the best beats I ever heard was played by one of the worst drummers I ever saw.

Drums are a passion. No matter what anybody else in a band might think, the drums are the heart and soul of any band. A good drummer can take a decent band and make it better, a bad drummer can take a great band, and make it .......bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    In a bar or club, nothing loses a crowd faster than a drum solo. I prefer to show off chops in a song, like Wont Get Fooled or Radar Love.

Sorry, I disagree with that. I've played too many solos to know that isn't accurate.

User Info Menu

Im talking cover bar bands, were the crowd is there to dance. You want to loose the crowd start a solo.

User Info Menu

Im talking cover bar bands, were the crowd is there to dance. You want to loose the crowd start a solo.

Been there, and I still respectfully disagree.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northern redneck View Post
    im talking cover bar bands, were the crowd is there to dance. You want to loose the crowd start a solo.
    +1
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

In a bar or club, nothing loses a crowd faster than a drum solo.
    Agree. The majority of people at local bars watching a cover band want to hear stuff that they are familiar with (done the way they are used to hearing it) and can dance to. Start a long intricate syncopated drum solo (even if its executed well) and people start heading to the pisser or going outside for a smoke. There are plenty of spots in songs that you can show off your chops without doing a solo and short runs within songs that keep the groove go over well. Solos are fun and you can really get creative with them, but, in this context they aren't needed or appreciated.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 08-08-2011 at 06:49 AM.