Thread: Tom set up

User Info Menu

Default Tom set up

I always see drummers using 4 piece drum sets. (mainly rock)

and then I see other drummers with a 5 piece, why wouldn't you want a 5 pieces? that extra mid tom is so use full sometimes.. anyways, tell me what you guys think of the 2 setups.

User Info Menu

Since I bought my set, I've always been happy with just 5 pieces being a snare, bass, and three toms. Now that I've experimented though, I'd really like a few more octave tone like 6 toms.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

My first set was a five piece, and I learned a lot. I thought the sound was decent, and I could be creative. Now I have a six piece set, and I love the extra tom. I love being able to have the extra tones to work with.

On the other hand, the drummer that I will be taking lessons from says that a really good drummer can make a four piece set sound much bigger. I'm looking forward to working with this guy!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thats so true bob. you can make a snare drum and 1 tom sound good, it all depends on what you know.

User Info Menu

i say listen to the like-- they're drummer is amazing, and she only has like a bass, snare, and a floor tom from what i remember when i saw them live...and like a crash and ride were the only cymbals (and hihats of course)

but yes her sound was very full and she played them great, and banged her head righteously the whole time

User Info Menu

I have a 6 peice (2 rack 2 floor), but for shows and such I like to just take the 2 floor toms and put the smaller 16" one where i would normally put the rack toms. I like doing that because i had never seen it before and i just like to try different things. Re-arranging my set up is like the funnest thing ever, if i get like a really sweet idea. Howver it can be the biggest pain in the *** when yo have to move things and you drop stuff. haha

Shazane Guest

I dont know why anybody would WANT fewer toms. You could be good enough to play something amazing with 2 toms but even then you'd be better with 3.

User Info Menu

i think the only benefit of having 1 tom is that its less to carry. I usa a 6 piece setup of 1 bass, 1 snare, 3 tom tom's, and 1 floor tom...im really happy with it

tom sizes are 10,12,13, and 16

User Info Menu

it all depends on the needs of the music.

User Info Menu

In my eyes, it only matters if they get the sound they need out of the kit. If they need a huge 12 piece or something to do that, that's fine by me, so long as they put it to good use and create something awesome. If they've got a 4 piece, you'd just expect them to murder it really.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I have a friend who is a great drummer, been playing forever, and he comes over here and plays Rush exactly perfect on our litttle set, I don't know how, what with much fewer pieces, it always amazes me.

User Info Menu

You got it ethel. Alot of people care about what i call. The wank factor :P

Many drums. Little play... High factor :P Worring more about how they look than how they sound and play. Its a shame so many people care about what others think than being at peace with themselves.

Im glad i have learnt not to please others. Everyone. It makes you so much happier knowing that path :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

If you gave me a bass drum, a snare drum, a hi hat and a ride, I'd be happy. Who needs toms! :p
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I started out with a 5-piece kit and I play an 8-piece now (1 bass, 5 toms, 2 snares) and the versitality of having more pieces is great. There is a point (I think I'm almost there) where you can have too many pieces. If your playing a club or something like that, you don't really need all those different pieces ( I usually gig with 6) and I sure as heck don't want to carry and set-up/tear down a monster kit. If I had a roadie, you bet my whole kit would go every time, but alas, that is just a dream right now. Now for recording, the more pieces the better. Especially if you are a dynamic player and not someone who just beats on the drums. The tonal variances of having more toms creates a whole musical spectrum that can fill any void and create melody where there usually is not.

My conclusion: More is better, unless you have to carry it!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads