Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: On going snare issue...

User Info Menu

Default Re: On going snare issue...

Well it performed flawlessly at the show. Figures though, I had a back up snare beside me and a host of quick fixes in my tool box on stage.

Although, I think I'm giving up on this snare for gig work. It's doesn't cut like I want it to. Gonna start gigging with my steel (or some sort of metal, possible Aluminum.) Slingerland. It sounds better for heavy music.

User Info Menu

Well I snagged the strainer I wanted off ebay. Got the throw off and the nicer butt plate for 45 bucks shipped. It got here from Cali in 2 days. What a great seller.

This will replace this butt:

User Info Menu

Yeah, got the same type of Tama snare strainer and butt-plate on my new Tama Nickelworks 12x4" snare Marko, only that I've got it in black nickel finish.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Yeah, got the same type of Tama snare strainer and butt-plate on my new Tama Nickelworks 12x4" snare Marko, only that I've got it in black nickel finish.
    Can't wait to give it a test. Though, since hogging out my stock strainer with WD40 I haven't had any issues.

User Info Menu

Well my good time quickly came crashing down. This sucker does not fit the mounting holes. Neither the throw or the butt plate. I'm not sure why I thought they did. I swear I measured.

So, I've to to figure out an adapting plate or something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Well my good time quickly came crashing down. This sucker does not fit the mounting holes. Neither the throw or the butt plate. I'm not sure why I thought they did. I swear I measured.

So, I've to to figure out an adapting plate or something.
    I say scrap the project and order your Starphonic.

It will arrive as fast as any replacement parts.

Just sayin'

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I say scrap the project and order your Starphonic.

It will arrive as fast as any replacement parts.

Just sayin'

Well you certainly make a fair point. And I do plan on getting one of those someday...but that maybe down the road a ways.

User Info Menu

Here's my deal. I've pretty much come to terms with this in my mind. I'm gonna drill a new hole in the shell to mount this throw off. The shell is slightly out of round and the wrap is warped in 1 spot so it's not like this is a pristine Starclassic drum at this point.

It's very difficult to tune...probably due to the out of roundness. And what's 1 tiny hole gonna do anyway? Probably not much.

I'm also thinking about just buying a 14" shell of some sort....maybe a 6.5" and putting the lugs and hardware from this drum on it.

But in the mean time...come hell or high water I'm mounting this throw off.

User Info Menu

I don't see anything wrong with that. I know some people get pretty bent at the idea of changing or altering a musical instrument, but at the end of the day you need something that functions, not something that looks pretty. A prime example of this is the Slingerland snare drum that Neil Peart played for so long. For one, it wasn't even a top of the line snare - it isn't like it was a Radio King, it was some middle of the road model. Second, he bought it used, and by the time he bought it, someone else had already tried (apparently successfully) to modify the snare beds. In an interview he gave he attributed that hacked up modification to the reason that it played so well and had the kind of response he wanted. He said it tore up heads, but that it simply wouldn't choke. Tuned high, tuned low, hit hard, hit really soft - it always gave him great response and sound, and that's why he used it for so long.

I say drill baby, drill! I'd do the same thing in your shoes.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with that. I know some people get pretty bent at the idea of changing or altering a musical instrument, but at the end of the day you need something that functions, not something that looks pretty. A prime example of this is the Slingerland snare drum that Neil Peart played for so long. For one, it wasn't even a top of the line snare - it isn't like it was a Radio King, it was some middle of the road model. Second, he bought it used, and by the time he bought it, someone else had already tried (apparently successfully) to modify the snare beds. In an interview he gave he attributed that hacked up modification to the reason that it played so well and had the kind of response he wanted. He said it tore up heads, but that it simply wouldn't choke. Tuned high, tuned low, hit hard, hit really soft - it always gave him great response and sound, and that's why he used it for so long.

I say drill baby, drill! I'd do the same thing in your shoes.
    I don't see any reason not too really. Measure twice cut (drill) once and install the new piece. It is really a minimal job. But I'm liking the idea of taking the hardware and putting it on a nicer shell.

I need a t-square or similar first. Maybe get one today and do it!

User Info Menu

Here's my deal. come hell or high water I'm mounting this throw off.
    Oh man I love it!

Way to make a decision.

Go for it, man!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Oh man I love it!

Way to make a decision.

Go for it, man!!!
    It's DONE! I'm uploading pictures right now. Easy breezy.

User Info Menu

Well I went to it last night. Marked out my line and charged the drill. Measured and lined things up several times. Went at it with a pilot hole then the full size bit.

New hole in the middle:

And installed. Nice and easy. Quick. And, most importantly, it fits exactly like it should and I didn't screw anything up!

And the old one that came off of it:

It works great. Tuned up and ready to go. I'm still probably gonna buy a 14x6.5 shell and mount this hardware to it. Like I said the drum is slightly out of round so it's tough to tune right.

User Info Menu

Ha! And the cool thing is that now you have a multi-vented snare!

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Ha! And the cool thing is that now you have a multi-vented snare!
    Yep...adding vents 1/4" at a time!

User Info Menu

You've got the room that if you wanted to dress it up a bit, you could expand the hole and put in one of these:

That would make it look like it was actually supposed to be there rather than just having the open hole. Don't know if standard chrome or black chrome would be the way to go.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

You've got the room that if you wanted to dress it up a bit, you could expand the hole and put in one of these:

That would make it look like it was actually supposed to be there rather than just having the open hole. Don't know if standard chrome or black chrome would be the way to go.
    Hmm...that's not a bad idea to dress up the hole. I like it.

User Info Menu

I actually put four of them in this snare, thinking they'd look cool, but the truth is, at any given time I only ever really see one of them. As for the sound, I'm not sure it's much different than just having one.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I think I'm going to pick one up so it's not just a bare hole. Thanks, that's a great idea.

User Info Menu

Trick...is yours for a 1/2" hole? I found 1/2" vents on the net.

User Info Menu

Well I went to it last night. Marked out my line and charged the drill. Measured and lined things up several times. Went at it with a pilot hole then the full size bit.

New hole in the middle:

And installed. Nice and easy. Quick. And, most importantly, it fits exactly like it should and I didn't screw anything up!

And the old one that came off of it:

It works great. Tuned up and ready to go. I'm still probably gonna buy a 14x6.5 shell and mount this hardware to it. Like I said the drum is slightly out of round so it's tough to tune right.
    Good to see it worked pretty well! I've got the same throw off on my Artwood, love it. Works like a charm. And dude that wrap looks amazing in the first pic. Now what was this bish said about a starphonic?

User Info Menu

Trick...is yours for a 1/2" hole? I found 1/2" vents on the net.
    Not sure - I bought them from John Riolo at American Drum Parts online - I think it probably is a half inch hole.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Good to see it worked pretty well! I've got the same throw off on my Artwood, love it. Works like a charm. And dude that wrap looks amazing in the first pic. Now what was this bish said about a starphonic?
    Thanks brother. The wrap is nice when it's cleaned up...which of course I did when I had the hoops off. It is bubbled in 1 spot though. But still looks good.

That being said...I'm always on the lookout for another snare. Be it a Starphonic, Pork Pie, Pearl Free Floater, Artwood, etc. There are so many that I want!

Not sure - I bought them from John Riolo at American Drum Parts online - I think it probably is a half inch hole.
    Thanks, I'll look them up.