Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On going snare issue...

User Info Menu

Default On going snare issue...

Well friends, you probably know that I've not been all that happy with my Tama Starclassic snare since I got it. It's not the sound. It sounds pretty good. It's everything else. First, this drum was not well taken care of by it's previous owner.

The day I got it I had to buy a new 14" die cast hoop as he some how bent the living $#!T out of the original. That was over 50 bucks.

My chief complaint had been the lack of adjustment on the lugs. Less than 2 full turns and you are as tight as you can get. Now, that yields a decent sound, but if you don't like it, tough. Any lower and the sound isn't all that desirable, at least to me.

My 2nd, and a very close second, complaint was the throw off. There doesn't seem to be much adjustment there either. It's either way too loose or so tight you can't get the lever to full engage the snares. I dont know if this is from neglect or the strainer is just that way.

I like my snares pretty tight so the lever eventually bent. This caused the snare wires to want to come loose.

Well this issue manifested itself at exactly the worst time for a gigging drummer....during the gig.

Right at the beginning of the first song the lever came loose. During a part in the middle where I'm riding both floor toms I tried to re-engage the wires but to no avail.

After each song I would reset the lever and the first hit on the snare it would loosen again. Of course my tool box with the gaffers tape in it was at the back of the room with the rest of my stuff. I've ALWAYS kept this tool box next to me on stage. The one time I don't is, of course, when I need it. I also use to bring a 2nd snare with me to gigs. Stopped doing that b/c I never used it.

Well, I know no one really notices stuff like this but other drummers but it was tough. The show went well and I still performed but it was mentally challenging. It was a good test.

So, now I plan on ordering a new strainer. Probably the model from the Superstar snare, as they are both the same measurements.

Turns out my Swingstar strainer also fits. It's not very high quality but it functions so I put it on last night.

The offender:

And the temporary solution:

User Info Menu

Default Re: On going snare issue...

What a gigantic pain! I remember when you were so happy to be getting this kit. It's a shame the snare was so abused. Sounds like either with a little TLC you can whip it into shape, or it's going to the dustbin since it doesn't give you what you want. Let us know how this works out marko.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    What a gigantic pain! I remember when you were so happy to be getting this kit. It's a shame the snare was so abused. Sounds like either with a little TLC you can whip it into shape, or it's going to the dustbin since it doesn't give you what you want. Let us know how this works out marko.
    It really does sound nice when it's on. Maybe a new head is in order. This head doesn't make much of a sound until you get at least a full turn above finger tight...but that's too low for my taste. Then at that point I've only got about half a turn more to work with.

So perhaps a single ply head or something other than the ST dry is in order.

You have any suggestions, Bob?

User Info Menu

marko, if the tuning is producing overtones that are annoying, an Evans Genera HD Dry will tame it. Otherwise, you might look at the lugs and tension rods. It just doesn't seem like it should get that tight so quick.

As to the snare throw, I just realized that shabutie dealt with a throw issue on his Starclassic snare and went with a Trick throw. Here's his thread about it: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...7.html?t=22217
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

marko, if the tuning is producing overtones that are annoying, an Evans Genera HD Dry will tame it. Otherwise, you might look at the lugs and tension rods. It just doesn't seem like it should get that tight so quick.

As to the snare throw, I just realized that shabutie dealt with a throw issue on his Starclassic snare and went with a Trick throw. Here's his thread about it: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...7.html?t=22217
    Ya, I saw his thread. It's something to think about. And it's not an issue with overtones...just an issue with too low tension at anything below 1 full turn.

User Info Menu

Ahhh, you like it poppy and tight then? If so, you probably would like a single ply head better. Still seems odd that it tunes up the way it does.

User Info Menu

Ahhh, you like it poppy and tight then? If so, you probably would like a single ply head better. Still seems odd that it tunes up the way it does.
    I thought so too.

User Info Menu

I'm with Pastor Bob on this : check those tension rods and lugs. If possible swap a couple rods from the bottom with the top & see if they thread differently. If the original top hoop was bent, could be the drum's slightly out of round too, or the tension rods at the point where the damage was done originally bent or ruined the lugs' threading when re-installed.

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan of die cast hoops. Lots of hoopla and money on something that IMO isn't necessarily beneficial to the sound of the drum, and it changes the action and feel of the drum in a way that I'm not sure I like.

Try an aftermarket throw - someon has a thread here about putting a Trick throw on a Tama snare - that might be just what the doctor ordered. Otherwise, I'd put flanged hoops on that bad boy and call it a day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I'm with Pastor Bob on this : check those tension rods and lugs. If possible swap a couple rods from the bottom with the top & see if they thread differently. If the original top hoop was bent, could be the drum's slightly out of round too, or the tension rods at the point where the damage was done originally bent or ruined the lugs' threading when re-installed.
    I actually checked the (new) hoop and the drum on a flat surface yesterday. They checked out fine in my official unofficial test.

User Info Menu

Did you change the stainer strap on the snare when after you bought the kit? They need to be changed it periodically and may cause slippage if worn out. I've used two types of strainer straps. Mylar and braided nylon string.

Mylar: (pack of 4 $6.99 USD)
    Pros- cheap, quick to install, made for drums (cool factor)
    Cons- slips

Nylon strap (available at any fabric store) 1/2 inch with medium braid:
    Pro-holds well, comes in rolls, thickness of 0.070 to 0.075 of an inch
    Con-fabric store purchase

Also set strainer lever to middle of throw when you change the strainer strap and allow for slight play in lever to before you retighten both ends of the strainer strap. Poorly installed stainer strap with too much tension at mid level positon may cause strainer to "pop" out of position if strap is tightened too far and tuned high.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Did you change the stainer strap on the snare when after you bought the kit? They need to be changed it periodically and may cause slippage if worn out. I've used two types of strainer straps. Mylar and braided nylon string.

Mylar: (pack of 4 $6.99 USD)
    Pros- cheap, quick to install, made for drums (cool factor)
    Cons- slips

Nylon strap (available at any fabric store) 1/2 inch with medium braid:
    Pro-holds well, comes in rolls, thickness of 0.070 to 0.075 of an inch
    Con-fabric store purchase

Also set strainer lever to middle of throw when you change the strainer strap and allow for slight play in lever to before you retighten both ends of the strainer strap. Poorly installed stainer strap with too much tension at mid level positon may cause strainer to "pop" out of position if strap is tightened too far and tuned high.
    I am currently using PureSound Custom Pro wires with the notched fabric strap. They are about a year old, so I don't think they are worn out yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    It really does sound nice when it's on. Maybe a new head is in order. This head doesn't make much of a sound until you get at least a full turn above finger tight...but that's too low for my taste. Then at that point I've only got about half a turn more to work with.

So perhaps a single ply head or something other than the ST dry is in order.

You have any suggestions, Bob?
    Yes a new head is in order, I can see by your pics above that the batter is almost flush with the top of your hoop. That head is stretched all to crap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Yes a new head is in order, I can see by your pics above that the batter is almost flush with the top of your hoop. That head is stretched all to crap.
    I'm not sure how you can see that in the above pics, but you might be right. As I've said, it has been tightened as tight as the lugs will allow...which is less than 2 full turns over finger tight. Anything less than 1.5 full turns does not yield a good sound.

Probably doesn't matter but the head is only 2 months old.

I also hogged out the throw off with WD40. I feels much better (without being installed on the drum.) We'll see what happens.

User Info Menu

I am currently using PureSound Custom Pro wires with the notched fabric strap. They are about a year old, so I don't think they are worn out yet.
    Then I think its time for a new throw off. Get the trick one that Shab bought for his Tama snare. No holes to drill out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Then I think its time for a new throw off. Get the trick one that Shab bought for his Tama snare. No holes to drill out.
    I think you're right. I may pick up the Superstar throw off in the mean time since it's relatively cheap. That should hold me over for the time being.

User Info Menu

Swap the top tension rods yet? Measured across the drum?
    I don't understand how a new head can change the "2 turns to max tension" marko mentioned. (Just doesn't seem to be enough turns to tighten anything- new or old heads.) Of course if you remove the head and hoop and then 2 turns is all you get...yiii!

User Info Menu

Swap the top tension rods yet? Measured across the drum?
    I don't understand how a new head can change the "2 turns to max tension" marko mentioned. (Just doesn't seem to be enough turns to tighten anything- new or old heads.) Of course if you remove the head and hoop and then 2 turns is all you get...yiii!
    Haven't done it yet, just got home from work. I'll do that tonight.

Though I should mention, Slinglander, that I bought several new lugs and almost all new tension rods when I got the drum.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure how you can see that in the above pics, but you might be right. As I've said, it has been tightened as tight as the lugs will allow...which is less than 2 full turns over finger tight. Anything less than 1.5 full turns does not yield a good sound.

Probably doesn't matter but the head is only 2 months old.

I also hogged out the throw off with WD40. I feels much better (without being installed on the drum.) We'll see what happens.
    Look at your last pic with the stick laying across the hoop.

User Info Menu

Got me on that one! Sounds like you practically rebuilt the snare, then?

User Info Menu

Got me on that one! Sounds like you practically rebuilt the snare, then?
    Essentially yes...other than the throw off!

User Info Menu

I think you're right. I may pick up the Superstar throw off in the mean time since it's relatively cheap. That should hold me over for the time being.
    Here ya go: MCS70A Tama Superstar Strainer:

User Info Menu

Actually, my good man, I believe that is the strainer I have. The Superstar has a different style "lever"...

Should look like this:

User Info Menu

Actually, my good man, I believe that is the strainer I have. The Superstar has a different style "lever"...

Should look like this:

Must be different model numbers for production year?

User Info Menu

My snare had that exact same strainer and i hated it man hope you find a solution
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''