Thread: cheap recoding?

User Info Menu

Default cheap recoding?

hi everyone
    iv been thinking for a while about recording drums and how cheap i can get
    i have no idea where to begin and how much it will cost what sound i will get, ect
    can anyone give me an aprox. total cost and what i need
    all i really know is that in need atleast two mics.
    is there any way i can hook up two mics to my laptop?
    i dont expect GREAT sound but i atleast would wanna record it better than my phone.
    any ideas?
    thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: cheap recoding?

Cheap recording?

You could try this:

2 cheap dynamic mics - Behringer XM8500s can be had for about $20 apiece and are pretty close in sound to Shure SM58.

2 Mic cables/stands

1 Behringer XYNYX 502 mixer

1 - L/R output converted to a single 1/8" jack to line into your mic input.

Free recording software.

That above is about as cheap as I can think of - it won't give you great sound though because your A/D converter is only going to be as good as whatever your computer's sound card is, but it's cheap, and it will get it done - you'll have to do your mixing before the signal hits your computer.

Anyone else have any better ideas?

User Info Menu

thanks trickg
    it sounds great. the only other Q i have is do i need to always use a mixer cuz i know the can get really expensive. cant i just us a program on my laptop.
    like i said i really have no experience

User Info Menu

i just googled the mixer and saw what you ment
    thanks i think ill go with that

User Info Menu

Looking back on this thread, the XYNYX 502 only has one XLR preamp - you might have to go with the 802 in order to get the second XLR preamp, but we're still only talking $65-$70, depending on where you go for it. Aside from that, you can find other uses for it. I use my little 502 mixer as part of my in-ears click track rig. For recording I've gone a different route - the heart of my home recording setup is:

iMac (right now I'm just using Garage Band)
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
    KRK Rokit 6" Studio Monitors

I've got some other stuff too - a smattering of cheap mics with a couple of decent mics (just acquired a Shure SM7B this last weekend - street price of about $350) but the Focusrite interface going into the iMac and using the KRK monitors for mixing is what facilitates most of my recording efforts.

User Info Menu

Buy a Zoom. I have the H4 and it has two stereo mics on top. It also has two XLR inputs on the bottom. I plan to use it for demos and then when I need better quality recordings Ill buy a good bass drum mic and condenser and plug them into the XLR jacks. It acts as its own interface, so that will also lower costs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Buy a Zoom. I have the H4 and it has two stereo mics on top. It also has two XLR inputs on the bottom. I plan to use it for demos and then when I need better quality recordings Ill buy a good bass drum mic and condenser and plug them into the XLR jacks. It acts as its own interface, so that will also lower costs.
    Not exactly cheap - the Zoom H4N is currently running $300. Even an inexpensive 2-preamp USB interface with a couple of inexpensive dynamic mics would be much less than that and would have better preamps - the preamps in the Zoom aren't highly regarded, or at least they weren't with the older version - the plain H4.

User Info Menu

True, I was more thinking about versatility. The Zoom is portable so he could record performances and then use it as an interface also. Thats why I bought it, but its true there are lower priced two input interfaces.