Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best drum throne?

User Info Menu

Default Who makes the best drum throne?

I just have the one that came with my Imperialstar kit. I've been trying to use good posture and adjusting the throne to the right height because it was starting to bother my right hip and right knee but my back still aches only after 30 minutes of playing. I'm adjusting the kit so I don't have to reach to far etc..trying to do all the proper ergonomics. So who makes the best throne, is it the Roc n Soc..I really don't want to spend the $200 + dollars on a throne so can anyone offer a alternative? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Who makes the best drum throne?

Quote Originally Posted by FIDDLEHEADSTEW View Post
    I just have the one that came with my Imperialstar kit. I've been trying to use good posture and adjusting the throne to the right height because it was starting to bother my right hip and right knee but my back still aches only after 30 minutes of playing. I'm adjusting the kit so I don't have to reach to far etc..trying to do all the proper ergonomics. So who makes the best throne, is it the Roc n Soc..I really don't want to spend the $200 + dollars on a throne so can anyone offer a alternative? Thanks.

Roc&Soc is as good as they come.

User Info Menu

Roc n Soc is the best. You get what you pay for.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

1 more vote for Roc n Soc here. Get the optional back rest for that lower back fatigue. Experiment with different height adjustments too.
    Pearl Export Pro - Wine Red
    Gretsch Catalina Maple - Amber

Evans G2, Genera Dry, EMAD

Paiste -
    14" Sound Edge Hats
    20" Signature Series Dark Dry Ride
    16" Signature Series Full Crash
    16" Signature Series Power Crash
    18" Signature Series Power Crash
    18" Signature Series China
    10" Sound Formula Splash

Vic Firth SD4 Combo and Pete Erskine Signature sticks

User Info Menu

Pork Pie. best 150 I ever spent.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I have a question.

Do you have a decent throne base? Does it have a standard sized shaft that the actual seat sits on?

If so you can buy just the rocnsoc seat and replace your current seat while keeping the tripod base.

I got one for a seat that no longer was appealing and it only cost roughly $70 for the seat part. That is where the comfort is anyway, so you don't have to spend anywhere near $200.

I also bought a new complete rocnsoc throne and it was only $160.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Or stalk the usual websites for a used one. I picked up a minty one a month or so ago for $60, plus $10 shipping.
    kits:
    Mapex Saturn IV -- Transparent Espresso Walnut (10-12-14-16-22)
    RMV Bapeva shell -- Blue Sparkle (12-14-16-22)

snares:
    14x6.5 Yamaha seamless brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks vintage brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks stainless steel
    14x6 Tama Starphonic brass
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride
    20" and 22" Dream Contact Crash/Rides

15" AAX Dark Crash
    16" Signature Fast Crash
    18" Saluda Earthworks Crash
    20" Crash of Doom

8" A Custom splash
    10" Signature splash

electronics:
    Roland SPD-30
    Alesis Sample Pad Pro

User Info Menu

I own a Roc-N-Soc and I think I'd rather have a Pork Pie. I've found that after an extended session of drumming that the throne seat starts to dig into the backs of my legs and gets a bit uncomfortable.

User Info Menu

I cant complaint at all about my Roc & Soc, I still love it as the first day and the best 165$ investment for my butt ever
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Gibraltar, or you can needlessly spend the extra cash on a Roc-n-Soc for the spiffy stitching. Same thrones though. I've been rocking my Gibby for 13 years now.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Gibraltar, or you can needlessly spend the extra cash on a Roc-n-Soc for the spiffy stitching. Same thrones though. I've been rocking my Gibby for 13 years now.
    Really ?? the same .. cool .. I got a screaming deal on a Gibraltar and I love it .. .. and I have been trying to figure out the difference's between it and an RnS

so yah .. Im puting another vote in for the Gibraltar here. motor cycle style felt soft comfy .. but fatigue is no longer why i stop playing.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

I disagree with the part about it costing extra. It's really not that much more and they do have some slightly different design.

I personally have a Gibraltar and love it. I want a pork pie though, its like sitting on a cloud, so comfy.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I agree on the Roc & Soc had Pearl Roadstar before and butt would start hurting after 15 minutes of playing. Now with the R&S I am sitting on a cloud. Can't argue with any other seat out there cause never tried any. Roc & Soc rules in my opinion.

User Info Menu

In summary, as you can see, everyone has their own opinion on what is rated number 1. It's going to be up to you to decide what is best for you.

You should probably get one of each and see which one YOU like best.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Which models of thrones are you guys talking about? Which pork pie, roc n soc etc.

User Info Menu

RnS has two basic styles. Hydraulic or screw designed height adjustment on the tripod base. The seats are the same other than being available in Red, Blue or (Black/Gray).
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FIDDLEHEADSTEW View Post
    Which models of thrones are you guys talking about? Which pork pie, roc n soc etc.
    Pork Pie and Roc-N-Soc only have a couple of models - I prefer a threaded spindle, but Roc-N-Soc makes a nitro model that has a gas piston for additional shock absorbtion - it has a gas lift very similar to an adjustable office chair. As for the Gibraltar Motorcycle style throne, I think we're talking about just the seat that can be found on various supplier sites as "Gibraltar Oversized Motorcycle Seat."

For my money, and keep in mind I own a Roc-N-Soc, I'd get the Gibraltar Softy throne - street price of $129 so it beats both Roc-N-Soc and Pork Pie on price, it's round (my next throne won't be a motorcycle style seat) and it's well made with a great base with a memory lock, and a soft cloth topped seat.
    Last edited by trickg; 08-09-2011 at 09:31 AM.

User Info Menu

I need a better throne. RnS or Pork Pie for me...when I finally buy a new one.

User Info Menu

I love my Pearl Roadster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    RnS has two basic styles. Hydraulic or screw designed height adjustment on the tripod base. The seats are the same other than being available in Red, Blue or (Black/Gray).
    RnS also has a round seat you can get, but I think you have to order it directly from them. I'd post the link, but well....I can't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I disagree with the part about it costing extra. It's really not that much more and they do have some slightly different design.

I personally have a Gibraltar and love it. I want a pork pie though, its like sitting on a cloud, so comfy.
    Roc-n-Soc uses the Gibby seats/backrest with their name stitched into the different color seating surfaces. It's the same exact thing.
    Back when I got them, there was a massive price difference. Real quick search on identical models and the Gibby is $20 less on the Nitro and $5 more on the basic base.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Who makes the best drum throne?

Roc-n-Soc uses the Gibby seats/backrest with their name stitched into the different color seating surfaces. It's the same exact thing.
    Back when I got them, there was a massive price difference. Real quick search on identical models and the Gibby is $20 less on the Nitro and $5 more on the basic base.
    HUM that is interesting thanks for sharing. In todays world nothing surprises me anymore. You get companies who mass produce the same merchandise but have different names stamped on them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    HUM that is interesting thanks for sharing. In todays world nothing surprises me anymore. You get companies who mass produce the same merchandise but have different names stamped on them.
    Yup, it happens everywhere.
    It gets even more interesting when a company that makes mostly generic junk has one or two high quality products, because those products are contracted out and built to specs that exceed everything else they make. Figuring those out can make things like vehicle maintenance massively less expensive. You can also save money on name brand stuff by buying it from the company/distributor that they hire to build/ship it.

User Info Menu

SP Embroidered. ive sat my butt on many a Rocnsoc and i find the SP a better ride. paid 89 bucks new. happy butt now

User Info Menu

Do the thrones with backrests actually help posture forcing one to sit upright? And by models of thrones I meant model numbers or names of brands like roc n soc nitro gibralter 9608 os etc, not the construction of the throne i.e. hydraulic piston or threaded. And on the roc n soc site they mention original and hugger, whats the difference? And does anyone have any experience with square type thrones, which is more comfortable, motorcycle style design or square.