Thread: Blue or elsewhere?

User Info Menu

Default Blue or elsewhere?

Ok everyone I'm looking for opinions here on mics. I'm looking at buying a large diaphragm condenser that can be used for multiple applications. (acoustic guitar, vocals, bass, ect) I have the Audix fusion set for my kit.

I will also be getting an SM57 soon so please dont suggest that. I know it will work better for fatter sound electric guitars.

Any opinions on the Blue Spark and the Blue Bluebirds? I've been watching videos all day of the 2 and so far I think it will come down to one of these 2 unless someone can show me something I like better. They have really no self noise which makes it incredibly clean sounding.

here's some videos ive seen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUVGR0UxcpM"]‪Blue Bluebird Overview (Acoustic Guitar)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvw6d0VKL4I"]‪Blue Microphones Spark: Low-Cost Condenser Mic Demo'd, True Value Assayed (Video)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK78ul4Vv04"]‪Blue Spark Microphone! Audio Sample!‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by Zeta; 08-10-2011 at 02:46 AM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: Blue or elsewhere?

The msrp on the Bluebird is around $700 (it orignally was supposed to sell at that, but the street value was about $500.) Intended as a more general purpose baby bottle quality. Currently they sell at $300 on MF

The msrp on the Spark is $200 and thats what it is on MF.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I would go to Oktavamod.com and check out Mike Jolly's site. This guy modifies and sells mic's that are on par with 3000 Neumann mics for the price range you are looking.

User Info Menu

Fat Head.
    (No, not you, dummy; the microphone from Cascade. Doh..!)
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

my personal opinion is that blue is poo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    I would go to Oktavamod.com and check out Mike Jolly's site. This guy modifies and sells mic's that are on par with 3000 Neumann mics for the price range you are looking.
    Looks to be out of my price range. But I will keep this in mind and save it to my computer for a fancy mic

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    Fat Head.
    (No, not you, dummy; the microphone from Cascade. Doh..!)
    These sound great on guitars! I little much for my minimum wage budget, but possibly the direction for when I need a specific guitar mic.
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    my personal opinion is that blue is poo
    Are you going to elaborate? Do you have any personal experience with them? Every person and review ive heard from about blue has liked them very much so I'm curious where this is coming from.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Just from all the experience iv had from over 20 different mic brands including akg . Shure , Avalon etc .... Just better

User Info Menu

I would even concider using rode before blue .... Double post

User Info Menu

Just from all the experience iv had from over 20 different mic brands including akg . Shure , Avalon etc .... Just better
    See I try to avoid "better" when it comes to mics. that doesnt really cover anything. For an all purpose large diaphragm I like the way the Bluebird picks up well on a range of things. I know a 57 would be a great all purpose, which is why its already on the list, but the Condenser always comes across as a mic that picked up more of the natural vibrating sound keeping it from being over dry.
    I like the combination of a 57 and a condenser on certain things, like guitar.
    Do you have a recommendation that is in the same price range as the Spark and Bluebird that I can compare them too? (large diaphragm, cardioid or multi pattern) I want to be sure about the mic I get because most places here will not let me return a mic.

EDIT: Let me explain myself on the "better" thing. just because i think I failed to do so earlier lol. Everything requires a mic for different purposes, every mic is designed with different purposes in mind. Every mic sounds different. There can't be a "better" if they are not all the same thing, just Different. Like apples and oranges.
    Last edited by Zeta; 08-11-2011 at 09:36 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Please keep in mind Ill be recording primarily females when it comes to the vocals

Sorry for the DP :(
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Sounds like you have already made your mind up

User Info Menu

My favorite female vocal mic right now is the shure beta 58

User Info Menu

Sounds like you have already made your mind up
    Not exactly, just these two have stood out to me. I also like the AT4040, but I don't know if I feel it peaks correctly to also use it on my singers voice. Any experience with these ones? I'm really aiming for a "workhorse" mic, something that I can throw at anything and be at least happy with. I figure with my current budget, 1 good multi purpose condenser and a few 57's will get me some great tones, along with the mics I already have. (Audix, Digital Reference, Samson (lmao))

My favorite female vocal mic right now is the shure beta 58
    I actually really like the sound of the Beta58 . How do you feel about it in a studio setting? Would you use the Beta over the SM in what situations?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

i would use the beta over the sm in most situations

User Info Menu

i would use the beta over the sm in most situations
    Thanks Itchie . I'm going to keep saving and test whatever I can. I know I'll pick up an SM57 or two at least. I just want to make sure I get the right condenser for my situations.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

just remember the mic pre's and post-processing is where the vocal magic happens..

i think you will find for home studio use the cardioid mics will be more than adequate for a good vocal ...and i would strongly suggest to look into matched pairs rather than individual condensers ..

User Info Menu

just remember the mic pre's and post-processing is where the vocal magic happens..

i think you will find for home studio use the cardioid mics will be more than adequate for a good vocal ...and i would strongly suggest to look into matched pairs rather than individual condensers ..
    Oh I know, I'm getting great vocals even from using two Audix f15's. But I think I need to get something with a larger diaphragm, and a fuller tone to make the mastering a little less heavy lol.

I am actually thinking of getting 2 of whatever I decide on. It's kind of down too the Bluebird, AT4040, and AKG C214. So far The Bluebirds pattern seems better for my singers voice and sounds great on guitar, but I need to hear her voice on them to decide for sure.
    -Steven