Thread: What influences sound?

User Info Menu

Default What influences sound?

Ive been out of the drum set world for a long time and recently got a nice big shoved back into it. Back in the day I owned a 3-set of paistes and they were alright. They were entry level cymbals and the hats were very clanky sounding. In school they had a set of very nice sabian hats. I like a more higher pitched soft sound on the hats. I dont drum too hard on my gear so I dont need something thats heavy duty. So w/out having much experience on using different cymbals, what makes the sound quality change? Is it the material, bell construction, or the thickness of the cymbals? I would think a thinner cymbal would be a lighter higher pitched sound, correct? I love the hats that lars used through the 80's on all their albums, especially the black cd. If anyone has suggestions for what model to look at for a sound like that Im open to ideas. But Im working with a budget here so Im not buying new zildjians heh. If you have an opinion Im all ears!

User Info Menu

Basically what changes a cymbals sound is size/diameter (obviously)...thickness..(thicker = lower, thinner = higher pitch), and materials..with zildjian the difference is whether its cast bronze..or sheet bronze..then basically the amount of bronze..vs other alloys (tin, copper, iron) makes the difference..as well as the technique used to make it.

I think the sound u might be looking for is K custom hats. I could be wrong tho.

User Info Menu

If the cymbal makers new anything about the internet they would know if they posted sound clips of their cymbals people could actually buy what they wanted based on the exact sounds they produce. I think Ive heard the K's and they sounded good. One of the best Ive heard so far is the zildjian avenis(sp?). They sounded nice and tight but they arent exactly in my budget inless I get them used.