Drum Domains

Thread: OK....this is freaking funny.

User Info Menu

Default OK....this is freaking funny.

I quit playing drums in 1981 at age 29 and got a real job.

I decided it ws time to pick it up again and bought a kit this past weekend.

For those of you that may be mathmatically challenged, that puts me at 59.

I got the drums from a 20 year old with gauges in his ears who asked me "So......uhh...are you going to learn to play?" That was pretty funny but it only set the stage for the real event.

The set didn't include a throne and I was really anxious to start banging so I happened to have this thing laying around.

I realize that, if you don't know what this is, you will be thinking "that aint funny"

When I bought this house a few years ago, the 80-90 year old couple left it behind. It's a shower chair for the elderly. It pretty much goes along with a walker with tennis balls on the legs.

User Info Menu

Default Re: OK....this is freaking funny.

Yup, that was funny!

Welcome to Drum Chat grandpa! Glad to see you're back at it!
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

Hey dude, as long as you can sit down. lol.
    Tell us more about your new kit mate. Specs? More pics?
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC NewTricks. That chair looks to have adjustable height legs. You could be on to something there.

User Info Menu

The kit is Ludwig. Picked up the drums and cymbal stands for $600 from Craigslist and the cymbals for $400 from Craigslist also. Throne was free

Crappy pic. My camera setting was jacked up but....

User Info Menu

Yeah, some beginner drum stools seem to have only one strut with the holes, but you seem to be lucky enough to have four of them, lol.

Welcome to DC Chat by the way.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Welcome ! And there are many "seasoned" drummers around here so jump right in and enjoy !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC. There's a couple of us old guys hanging around here.

User Info Menu

at least its not a camping toilet. maybe trade that throne in for a more modern one

User Info Menu

59? You're just a kid. LOL.
    areFish may be right about the adjustable chair legs. You may be a trendsetter. Oooo, maybe a tennis ball on the kick beater.
    Welcome NewTricks.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

Cool drum throne.
    Got a back rest and air holes for da cheeks.
    I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.

User Info Menu

It's even got slots for a seat belt in case you want to pull a Tommy Lee.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat NewTricks! You certainly will be proof that you can indeed teach an old dog . . . oh, never mind!

NT, I was 52 with no drumming experience whatsoever when I picked up the sticks for the first time. Sounds like you'll just need to shake off a bit of rust and you'll be off that shower chair in no time - although I've seen worse "thrones."

Nice looking kit. Were you a double kick guy in the day, or was this just a great deal that couldn't be passed up?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

New Tricks, WELCOME HOME TO DRUMMING, well you got me by a couple years, but as you the drive was too strong and I found new life with drumming just about two years ago. Sit back and relax you found a FANTASTIC SITE here, lots of age groups and its sure fun to hear stories from all of them. what I always say...what ever you do don't forget to.....
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat New Tricks and welcome to the fold. Ive never seen the Ludwig Keystone badge with a banner.It must be for a series or the new look.Its classy but I think I like the plain Keystone better.(Mine are the 70`s rectangle Blue and Olive badge,yuk)

Thats a sweet looking kit.The Black finish makes the chrome stand out even more.I love the double bass too.I bet she sounds as good as she looks!

Its great to hear you are back at it.I always felt like something was missing back when I last sold a kit over 30 years ago.I bought a new Ludwig kit after that,and although I would like to own different kits,I love this one and it will be with me for life,hence my chat name.I will never again long to play and not have the means to!

Take care and HAVE FUN!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC, and welcome back to drumming! Nice kit you got there. I like that it has the proper amount of bass drums too.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC, I am an old guy too, but not that old, don't break a hip.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

i sat on a Werner stepladder for 2 days when i got my first kit. nonexistent adjustment but i was chomping at the bit. wish i had the Geriatric chair.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Tricks! That throne come with seatbelts too? Thanks for the laugh...great first post.

User Info Menu

Bwahahahahha That was hilarious. Now I'm picturing an old guy sitting in that chair beating on the drums with his Hugh Hefner slippers on smoking a pipe.

Welcome to Drum Chat!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    The kit is Ludwig. Picked up the drums and cymbal stands for $600 from Craigslist and the cymbals for $400 from Craigslist also. Throne was free

Crappy pic. My camera setting was jacked up but....

Oh my God......that's a double bass Ludwig Epic kit you've got there! My new kit's a Ludwig Epic....black to natural fade with antique brass hardware. (have a look at it in my profile) And you got that and cymbals for US$1000???

That's it.......I'm moving to The States if you guys keep quoting those great prices....
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

just thought of something on NT throne..its vented! now how many times have we sat in our own sweat on the leather or vinyl seat covers..maybe something to be said....
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Were you a double kick guy in the day, or was this just a great deal that couldn't be passed up?
    I never played bouble bass but could alway see the possibilities. I kept telling myself I'd go to two after I mastered one. In retrospect, that was poor reasoning.

Oh my God......that's a double bass Ludwig Epic kit you've got there!
    It's an Element kit. I don't know what that means but they sound really good. The kid I bought them from replaced all the stock heads with Evans and the pedals wth something that says "DW 3000"

I wrote a long winded intoduction post but it got lost in cyberspace.

First concert/drummer = Cream/Ginger Baker.

Saw Billy Cobham play a couple years after that and it was the first time I'd seen anyone really master the double bass. The guy was making a LOT of contact without breaking a sweat.

I got to see all the legends including Bonham and Moon in the olden days. Jethro Tull had a outstanding drummer in 1968 (saw them in a gymnasium for $4). I don't know his name but I listened to him recently and he was doing things that Neil Peart "pioneered" decades later.

There are a ton of new legendary drummers in the past couple decades but I haven't seen them or know any names. Lots of different styles which is different from the old days. Foo Fighters drummer comes to mind.
    Last edited by NewTricks; 08-10-2011 at 07:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, NewTricks.

That is a cool kit you picked up and the "throne" is epic. I can tell you one thing for sure, it's way more versatile than any throne I own. I could never put mine in water.
    Signature here