Thread: Thank You Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

Default Thank You Drum Chat!

Well it is later than I want to be up. I was researching the "Drum Dial", then came here for a hands on opinion. Thanks!!!!! As I was reading about using this, I thought, "I learned bass by tuning by ear". If you cannot develop your ear, why are you playing. Well, after some convincing posts, (thanks Ploughman), I have decided to follow my ears. I am not at a loss for having a drum ear, but reality says that the ear is what a musician should possess. From a bass player's perspective, a good ear helps when playing with other musicians, period. So why can a drummer not follow the same?

Peace!

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Thank You Drum Chat!

+1.

great advice, pay your dues and learn how its done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Well it is later than I want to be up. I was researching the "Drum Dial", then came here for a hands on opinion. Thanks!!!!! As I was reading about using this, I thought, "I learned bass by tuning by ear". If you cannot develop your ear, why are you playing. Well, after some convincing posts, (thanks Ploughman), I have decided to follow my ears. I am not at a loss for having a drum ear, but reality says that the ear is what a musician should possess. From a bass player's perspective, a good ear helps when playing with other musicians, period. So why can a drummer not follow the same?

Peace!
    we do! a bass player is a drummers right hand man and viceversa. a drummer is the foundation of a band, without a drummer the band is worthless and likely looking for one. just jamming for the first time with others i prefer to let the other guys just start playing, give me 30 seconds to listen to your groove and ill take it from there. if it works i get a nod from the bass player. screw the guitarist, hes on his own and likely only cares about himself, yet hes worthless without the drummer and bip player.
    groove is the key.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    So why can a drummer not follow the same?

Peace!
    Not all musicians have equal pitch and tone recognition skills and have the experience to tune their instruments properly as others do. There may be other factors like tone deafness that can hinder the tuning process as well. Look at the varying degree of scores posted in this thread for tone deafness. In my opinion, a DrumDial can help those who are tonally challenged to have at least a baseline to where to start the tuning process with actual numbers from the dial.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...mer-22248.html