Thread: Anyone going to DCI shows?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone going to DCI shows?

I was just curious if anyone else is planning on going to some DCI shows this summer. Im only going to one in Canton Ohio, its at the pro fooball hall of fame stadium. I wanted to go to the championship this season but its all the way on the other side of the country and I cant afford it. Anyone else ever been to a finals competition? I went in 2000 and it was my first and only. Anyway just trying to get some friendly convo's started. Cheers!

User Info Menu

Man I would love to go see a DCI show! Sadly its well out of our reach to do so, but if we did it would be soooooo kewl...
    I'm a Phantom Regiment kinda guy.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

As in too much money or too far to drive? There are some shows around your area, at least within an hours drive probably. But I agree, Phantom Brass hits me in the gut with their sound. Gives me the goose bumps! But Im a big Bluecoats fan seeing as I live in their home town and I was in their winter program.

User Info Menu

Really? Thats awesome!
    The Bluecoats are a great drum-corp too!

I live in the middle of no-where, we would have to drive like 4-5 hours to go somewhere where there might be a DCI show, and then tickets and stuff would cost too much for our puny school.
    Trust me dude, it can't be done.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

A fellow colleague of mine made it into the Phantom Regiment this year, so I am going to follow Phantom around and hang out with their horn/mellow section. ( I unsed to be a horn player so I'll fit in well). I've never been to the finals, but I'm going this year. What's it like?

User Info Menu

wuts DCI?

User Info Menu

Phantom is one of the better groups to hang around. Their reharsals are very intense and they always have good staff. You could learn a lot!

DCI = Drum Corps International. IMO, by far the best display of talent and concentration in drumming. Most of the best drum set players in the world dont have half enough chops to cut it in corps. Do yourself a favor and hit up youtube with DCI searching. Lots of good stuff on there.

User Info Menu

I played in a DCI show but that was many many years ago, in 1975 (or was it 76?). I played with the now defunct Greece Cadets from Greece NY. I probably won't travel to any DCI shows this summer, but the Rochester Crusaders normally host a DCA (senior drum corps) show that I'll probably go to. I have always been a fan of the Concord Blue Devils, but I like Phantom Regement, and the Bayon Bridgeman and well.

User Info Menu

I just went to a DCI show last night

The lineup was
    The troopers (they were terrible), Southwind (eh) and the crossmen (pretty good) then the intermission, then the cavaliers (defending champions, also did the best, amazing core) the blue coats (they were bad in the past, but now that theyve got recruiting in florida and texas, they pulled it off, the nextb est of the night) and the glassmen (home team, thye did a lot more marching then they did playing, they would like, shift, shift shift, play a note, then march some more)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo6 View Post
    I was just curious if anyone else is planning on going to some DCI shows this summer. Im only going to one in Canton Ohio, its at the pro fooball hall of fame stadium. I wanted to go to the championship this season but its all the way on the other side of the country and I cant afford it. Anyone else ever been to a finals competition? I went in 2000 and it was my first and only. Anyway just trying to get some friendly convo's started. Cheers!

I will be at the Washingtong, Oregon, DCI I & II/III Finales.

User Info Menu

The bluecoats had a performance monday night and beat the blue devils and cavaliers. For anyone who is unfamiliar to DCI thats a HUGE benchmark for drum corps. The bluecoats were used to being a bottom feeder in the 80s and 90s but ever since 2000 they have been making a steady climb at getting better. Last year they broke 90 points for the first time ever and actually got up to 92-93 points I believe finishing 4th (highest ever) and this year they are beating up the defending champs and the devils....absolutely awesome!!

Im going to the show on Saturday in Canton and cant wait to see the hometown bluecoats tear up some turf!

User Info Menu

what!??

The blue coats? Beating the two top dogs of the DCI world?

Well, as i said before, they have gotten a lot better, their criminal based theme was very off the wall, the entire band dissapearing behind the cardboard they brung out for a drumline solo, the beatboxing in the pit and the police siren and announcer done by the same guy