Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simmons or Alesis?

User Info Menu

Default Simmons or Alesis?

I am looking to get an entry level electronic drum kit. I am considering either the Simmons SD9K or the Alesis DM10 Studio Drum Kit.

I have done some research and have read quite a few complaints about Simmons drum pads breaking shortly after buying the kit and sometimes taking months to get replacements from the company.

I have not read anything negative about the Alesis kit.

I just wanted to get opinions here before I picked up the Alesis.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Simmons or Alesis?

play them both and you will know

User Info Menu

Alesis is better quality than Simmons in all aspects. That's not to say that Alesis is the best, but it's certainly better than Simmons. If those are the only two kits on your radar, go with Alesis.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

+1 on Alesis.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

To be completely honest, neither.

User Info Menu

I would suggest looking at used yamaha and roland !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    I would suggest looking at used yamaha and roland !
    +1. Roland is incredible.

if not, Alesis is better than Simmons.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Depends on your budget. IMHO, a good entry level e-kit at a reasonable price is the Roland TD-4K2-S. New those can be had for about $1,000. Seen them used for between $550 and $750.

Matter of fact, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one so everyone in my household will stop giving me the evil look when I say I'm going down to the basement to practice.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 08-17-2011 at 07:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Out of the 2 I would suggest Alesis.

Simmons is G.C.'s house brand now and quality has since gone down the toilet.

I'm with 2slow. Try to find a used Yamaha or Roland. I use Roland an have no regrets. Some of my pads (as well as the module) are from the original setup when I bought it new in 1997.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by khessmd View Post
    I am looking to get an entry level electronic drum kit. I am considering either the Simmons SD9K or the Alesis DM10 Studio Drum Kit.

I have done some research and have read quite a few complaints about Simmons drum pads breaking shortly after buying the kit and sometimes taking months to get replacements from the company.

I have not read anything negative about the Alesis kit.

I just wanted to get opinions here before I picked up the Alesis.

Thanks!
    Simmons 'HAD' a recall, and I had to get 2 pads replaced on my set of Simmons 7's! It was a tiny bit of an inconvenience, but Simmons replaced my kickpad and a tompad, no questions asked, and I think I had them in about 2 1/2 weeks! they claim to have fixed the problem, and since then, I've purchased a new set of Simmons 9's, I play them out regularly and have had no problems with them at all, and I love 'em!!! RockOn! *Buck*

User Info Menu

The dm10 has usb connectivity for easy computer access. This is a very good feature to have, allows access to sample programs which expand it's capabilities - and it's one of the only modules to feature it, much less feature it in this price range. The sounds were all recorded unprocessed using real drums and real cymbals - things of that nature. Hard to beat imo. The kit itself isn't bad, but i'd much rather use the Alesis dm10 module for my a/e setup than my Roland td-7, there's just more things you can do with it and it's easy to expand. I mean 12 inputs and 10 of them being dual zone, plus another 10 if you link up the trigger i/o to it makes it very versatile.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    The dm10 has usb connectivity for easy computer access. This is a very good feature to have, allows access to sample programs which expand it's capabilities - and it's one of the only modules to feature it, much less feature it in this price range. The sounds were all recorded unprocessed using real drums and real cymbals - things of that nature. Hard to beat imo. The kit itself isn't bad, but i'd much rather use the Alesis dm10 module for my a/e setup than my Roland td-7, there's just more things you can do with it and it's easy to expand. I mean 12 inputs and 10 of them being dual zone, plus another 10 if you link up the trigger i/o to it makes it very versatile.
    Actually, all drum brains have usb connectivity if they have midi out. M-audio makes an adapter for midi to usb for only 10 bucks. Works for me.

khessmd, I have to agree with others here and say you'd be better off getting a used Yamaha or Roland kit. Alesis and Simmons are overpriced toy drums imo.
    Last edited by armyoflarry; 02-26-2012 at 09:03 AM.

User Info Menu

I would agree with most people here. I've never played on a Simmons, but I've tried the DM10 and I found it disapointing, even when factoring the cost of the kit. A used Roland will run circles around it.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by armyoflarry View Post
    Actually, all drum brains have usb connectivity if they have midi out. M-audio makes an adapter for midi to usb for only 10 bucks. Works for me.

khessmd, I have to agree with others here and say you'd be better off getting a used Yamaha or Roland kit. Alesis and Simmons are overpriced toy drums imo.
    It's nice to use less hardware though, and go direct from one device into the computer. I mean yeah of course there's other ways to do it, but then you also need special cables in addition to converters, what a hassle.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Look at Pintech, theyre good quality and have roland mesh heads and a great module, ive said this since i got mine, the last two weeks ive been using it and its amazing.
    There are heaps of good drummers that have said only great things about them

thats what you get for 1200
    this for 1400

They sell extra toms and cymbals really cheap (100 bucks)... so if you got the egig (my model) it has an extra input for a extra tom or cymbal

User Info Menu

I'm using older Alesis gear...two DM5 kits (the earliest models) with Roland kick pads, snare pads and a Roland Octopad on the larger set, which I run both the snare pad, hi-hat and hi-hat pedal into. I replaced the stock Alesis DM5 cymnals with the Alesis Surge cymbals, which in turn gives me a beter feel with hi-hat and ride cymbal patterns. I also had to add two Alesis I/O units to these kits in order to 'dual-trigger' the Surge Cymbals. I use these kits mainly for convenience of teaching, but I have gigged a couple of times with an acoustic/electric hybrid using parts of the kit with an acoustic kick, snare and hi-hat. I haven't had a chance to fully try out an Alesis DM10 as yet, but from what I read and seen about the Simmons....seriously, the old days of Simmons electronic drums are long gone....the only Simmons I would ever contemplate getting (if I could ever afford the astronomical cost) would be the Simmons SDX....there's only 200 odd of those kits ever in existence
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Id love to get ny hand on a set of 80's Simmons. I love the sounds on 5150 and Hysteria. Also those big old white six sided pads just look cool!

User Info Menu

NR, there's a guy from Germany on YouTube who actually has a museum dedicated to all manner of old Simmons kits. Check him out. Easy to search him, just type the two words Simmons and museum.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Id love to get ny hand on a set of 80's Simmons. I love the sounds on 5150 and Hysteria. Also those big old white six sided pads just look cool!
    LOL ! That was my first e-kit !
    The female connectors on the pads were notorious for multiple triggers when they sparked...........sucked ! Like a machine gun...........

My second e-kit was a Yamaha............worlds better.

I sold the original Simmons kit to a studio; the last time I was there, one of the tom pads was being used as a mouse pad for the digital Mackie board !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

If you go Alesis, dont get the mylar pads (the ones that are supposed to emulate real drum heads). They dent, are loud, and will crosstalk and fail to trigger a lot.

I'd go with the DM6 if anything. $399, 5 piece, 2 crash/ride, hi hat.

Otherwise a Yamaha DTX500
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I recently bought a Simmons SD5K - I am a very new drummer, live in an apartment, have only taking three lessons so far, and don't have $1000 to drop on a kit to "see if I like it" or not. For $300, plus a $30 ebay kick pedal, I've got a set I can practice my basics, see if I have ay rythm, see if I have the desire to continue on. When I purchase a house (in progress, hence not having the extra cash to drop right now), I can expand to a better kit, but for the price, I can't complain at all. And frankly, it's a fun kit to play around on.

As for quality, yes, I'm sure everything out there is better - but for $300, it beats the upside down pots I was playing on, and didn't require me to put other aspects of my life on hold to pay for it.

It's all a compromise. Play them all and decide for yourself, unless someone else is willing to write you a blank check for that "better" kit.

User Info Menu

SpatzST is right, if you haven't bought an electric set the DM6 is a great start to get the feel for electric, i bought one and was impressed with the durablity and more the price, since then i'm going to upgrade, if you're committed to going electric dont even mess around with entry level sets, they leave sooo much to be desired, it was a great start for me considering i'd only played acoustic and never electric, it's like buying a cheap car, if you dont have much money and NEED to play they work, otherwise save up a little and get something nicer

User Info Menu

I have a friend, who just got a DM6 from Amazon for $ 350. as soon as we put it together, we'll see how it does. Another friend has a Pintech and loves it. I played it and it is nice. I like the mesh heads on the Pintech.

User Info Menu

I tried the Alesis DM8 and was not impressed. The brain of the Alesis drums are nice, but the pads were disappointing to the feel and bounce and the rack kinda poorly made. To be honest, I didn't even try the Simmons due to the negative reviews, which I take always very serious. I did my research and found myself to be better off with a used Yamaha or Roland. Then a few weeks ago, I walked into a Yamaha DTXpress Special IV for $400 and couldn't be happier. I know I made the right choice. I would suggest you do the research also, before you make up your mind about investing in a Simmons or Alesis.
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justadude View Post
    SpatzST is right, if you haven't bought an electric set the DM6 is a great start to get the feel for electric, i bought one and was impressed with the durablity and more the price, since then i'm going to upgrade, if you're committed to going electric dont even mess around with entry level sets, they leave sooo much to be desired, it was a great start for me considering i'd only played acoustic and never electric, it's like buying a cheap car, if you dont have much money and NEED to play they work, otherwise save up a little and get something nicer
    Wooo! my first post!

i just wanted to agree with justadude, I asked a few people what to get and constantly got the usual "get the second hand roland or yam" reply, while I agree with that, my budget was 100 quid (UK pounds), mainly cos my parents were buying and I didnt want them to spend any more on me incase it was a passing fad. So second hand rolands and yams were out, and went down an alesis DM6 clone on ebay second hand for 100 quid.

For me it was a kit for 100 quid or not learn at all. So I am totally pleased I made the choice, and I dont look back at all with even the slightest bit of regret, for me that was the right choice.

I have only been playing since october (2011) when i first picked up a set of drum sticks, so a totally new drummer with lots to learn, but since then i have replaced the drum module/brain with a trigger IO, plugged into an old laptop running addictive drums, I have also swapped the hi hat for a roland CY-5 and the old hi hat is now a china/splash and swapped the hi hat pedal for a roland FD-8.

So for me its a kind of project kit I upgrade bits on it as and when i can afford stuff, all bought second hand, and to be honest, thats kinda fun doing that. If you are interested, the first youtube video I did was with the DM6 pads through a trigger IO the change in kit dynamics was huge, i think the link to my channel should be in the signature, its the first video I did at the bottom.

Happy drumming all!