Thread: Choosing tom heads

User Info Menu

Default Choosing tom heads

So I bought a cheap drum set because I had to get back into the game real quick. I go drafted to be in a friends band because Im a drummer. I bought a cheap OSP drum set to get started, its not the greatest but I think it has potential. The shells are a thin 4-ply maple or basswood, not sure which kind. The heads that came on it are laughably bad so I need to upgrade. I know a lot of people have bought or still use cheaper drum sets and still made them sound good. The kick drum sounds fair the way I have it muffled but it needs a batter head, as do all my toms.

The sound Im going for with the toms is a punchy low tone. The music Im going to be playing will be classic hard rock like 70's stuff. Im looking for the sound like the rock bands all had in the 80's witht the thunderous toms. Ive heard pinstripes can sound good on cheap shells if they are tuned right and muffled with rings. And everyone raves about Evans heads but I heard a set of hydrolics on a cheaper drum set and it was very ringy, even live on stage. So Im not sure the hydrolics are what I want. Most likely I will be putting my stock batter heads on the resonant side of the toms when I replace the batter heads. Anyway if you have a cheaper drum kit and still had luck with new heads Id like to hear what you used and how it sounds. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I've been throwing this around here lately, but I think it's a really good resource for drum tuning and drum sounds.http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id5.html

If you go toward the end of the page there is a great listing of drum heads and their attributes. Read this and you'll have a better Ideas of what you want.

User Info Menu

Aquarian Superkick II bass head..and Performance II tom heads

User Info Menu

I know a lot of people with the superkick bass batter heads, must be a good reason for it!

I taught marching percussion in the past few years for some high schools and the aquarian marching heads SUCK something fierce! Clearly their bread and butter is drum set heads because they seem to have a good reputation in the drumming community and they couldnt have gotten it from marching equipment lol.

Thanks for the link, Ive been there many times. But theres not a perfect system for sound quality. Every drum shell reacts differently. Thats the hard part, its all trial and error which in the long run means more money.

User Info Menu

Evans heads

User Info Menu

or remo ebony pinstripes
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    Evans heads

WHICH ones ??

EC2
    G2?
    Something else?

In the past I have tried Aquarian Performance 2 for toms and they were good but have to be tuned Loooooooooooooosely - therefore = little /no bounce ( for me anyway).

I have also tried Evans EC2 and found them still a little 'ringy'.

Both examples were on my old Export kit and, like the post starter turbo6, I would like to try something 'punchy, but not dead on my new kit as well.

Everyone says heads are cheap, just keep trying em etc, but by the time you outlay $20-$30 aussie bucks per head x 3 or 4 toms x batter PLUS resonants, then decide you arent happy with that , then repeat the process .....it can get very expensive.

I keep watching videos and hear this GREAT flat, but not dead, punchy sound that no matter what I do I just CANNOT obtain ( yet )

Wotto
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wotto
    WHICH ones ??

EC2
    G2?
    Something else?

In the past I have tried Aquarian Performance 2 for toms and they were good but have to be tuned Loooooooooooooosely - therefore = little /no bounce ( for me anyway).

I have also tried Evans EC2 and found them still a little 'ringy'.

Both examples were on my old Export kit and, like the post starter turbo6, I would like to try something 'punchy, but not dead on my new kit as well.

Everyone says heads are cheap, just keep trying em etc, but by the time you outlay $20-$30 aussie bucks per head x 3 or 4 toms x batter PLUS resonants, then decide you arent happy with that , then repeat the process .....it can get very expensive.

I keep watching videos and hear this GREAT flat, but not dead, punchy sound that no matter what I do I just CANNOT obtain ( yet )

Wotto
    Sorry I was not specific, I use G2's on my toms, but am going to G1's, I use reverse dot on my snare and Emad 2 on my kicks, there ya go.

User Info Menu

evans hydraulics!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michiganice
    evans hydraulics!!
    Yea if you want a dead drum sound, save some money and pack your drums with ****, you will get the same sound.

User Info Menu

I really don't understand why some people on here insist that what they use is the best and most everything else sucks. I've seen people who just learned how to tune their drums insist that you should use the heads they use. I'm sorry but if you just learned how to get a better sound out of your drums you have no business insisting that the heads you use are the way to go. You simply have no idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente
    I really don't understand why some people on here insist that what they use is the best and most everything else sucks. I've seen people who just learned how to tune their drums insist that you should use the heads they use. I'm sorry but if you just learned how to get a better sound out of your drums you have no business insisting that the heads you use are the way to go. You simply have no idea.
    Seeing as how you are pointing this at me I am assuming, I never once said the heads I use are the best, I simply suggested what I use because turbo6 asked. I also made a remark on hydraulic heads, because I personnelly think they kill the sounds of drums, again I never said anything about anything sucking. I am also not new to tuning, I know perfectly well how to tune my drums, and again I never insisted anything, please don't insult me by referring to me as a beginner, because I am not, I simply stated my opinion, because turbo6 asked. I suggest you settle down, and read the threads a little closer.

User Info Menu

I wasn't pointing at you. If I were to point at you, I'd just call you straight out. I'm not shy. I feel this is widespread. Not just one person. I say what I mean and mean what I say and I won't beat around the bush if I have something to say. So, get the chip off your shoulder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente
    I wasn't pointing at you. If I were to point at you, I'd just call you straight out. I'm not shy. I feel this is widespread. Not just one person. I say what I mean and mean what I say and I won't beat around the bush if I have something to say. So, get the chip off your shoulder.
    I got no chip bud, just don't like people putting words in my mouth, but apparently that was not directed at me, so all is good.

User Info Menu

sorry man, but if hydraulics are too ringy for you then you may be misinterpeting your sound.

User Info Menu

Thanks to el presidente's link, i got remo coated pinstripe heads, and my kit is mahogany, very low and punch, and the heads really seemed to compliment them. I dunno how they would be on your kit though!
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!