Thread: Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?

User Info Menu

Default Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?

Who do you think is/was better for AC/DC?
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?

Brian Johnson is amazing but Bon Scott is hands down the "Original" talent we all know for AC/DC, IMO.

User Info Menu

The years and longevity of AC/DC with it's current front man say "Brian Johnson" but IMO it would never have happened if Bon hadn't come first. I was just listening to some old AC/DC with Bon earlier today - he certainly had a style and flair of his own that was groovy to listen to.

I think that the real answer to this would be to ask people the first song that pops into their head when they think AC/DC. I think most would say "Back in Black" or "Shook Me All Night Long" - both Brian Johnson. Another telling sign is to look at the DJ's top 100 lists. "Shook Me All Night Long" is virtually always in the top 5.

User Info Menu

For me Bonn Scott was the better front man.

Every album the band produced from High Voltage to Highway to Hell were all classics in my book, they experimented with different styles back then and each album had a particular sound. I reckon i have bought them all on at least 3 different formats.

Lets be honest; Back in Black, For those about to Rock, the Razors Edge and Stiff Upper lip were the only really good albums they made with Brian Johnson; there were quite a few flops during the 80's and 90's.

It would be interesting to see if the band would have gone the distance if Bonn hadn't passed away when he did; his sound was perfect for that era but i'm not sure it would have survived the 80's. Back in black wouldnt have been made; that's their cash cow!

Having siad all this, considering Brian Johnson was actually a tour driver for the band I think he did really well; he definately had big shoes to fill!

RIP Bonn Scott.
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Bonn Scott was amazing. I like Brian Johnson and what he has contributed to the group, but Scott was the best frontman for AC / DC.

User Info Menu

I like them both. Probly tip my hat toward Bon Scott just a little more.

User Info Menu

they both have amazing talent but Bon just had that extra presence that singers are still trying to replicate

User Info Menu

Bon scott by just that tiiiiniest little bit.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Damn hard choice Spessie. Too many good songs, each given a great treatment by both singers. I was only watching a behind the scenes doco on AccaDacca last night, so I think you read my mind, lol. Don't forget that they also had changes in bassists and of course we all know about changes in the drum seat, yet they still came up trumps. However if either if the Young brothers were to quit completely or pass away, don't think the band would ever be the same.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Bon Scott

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Damn hard choice Spessie. Too many good songs, each given a great treatment by both singers. I was only watching a behind the scenes doco on AccaDacca last night, so I think you read my mind, lol. Don't forget that they also had changes in bassists and of course we all know about changes in the drum seat, yet they still came up trumps. However if either if the Young brothers were to quit completely or pass away, don't think the band would ever be the same.
    Spot on bud. If either of the bro's were to pack it in, then all would be lost.
    They are the heart and soul of the band, with whatever line up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Spot on bud. If either of the bro's were to pack it in, then all would be lost.
    They are the heart and soul of the band, with whatever line up.
    The unsung star of the band IMO is Malcom. His driving rhythm guitar lines are quintessential to the band's sound, but Angus gets the limelight - I think he probably wants it that way. This isn't to say that Angus isn't awesome in his own right, but only to say that it unfortunately overshadows the essential part that Malcom brings to it.

User Info Menu

Brian Johnson, Top bloke, he was on top gear a while ago and said he can just walk down the street and people just don't think he's anyone special. He came across are a really nice fella.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

My preference is Bon Scott. When I hear Brian sing live especially some of that For Those about to rock footage, his voice sounds horrible to me. As if he's really straining. Bon had a well controlled swagger to his singing. By swagger I mean for example the song The Jack when he would practically be speaking the words then incorporate dynamics etc. Bon was more musical and dynamic to listen to to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Brian Johnson, Top bloke, he was on top gear a while ago and said he can just walk down the street and people just don't think he's anyone special. He came across are a really nice fella.

Cheers Mark
    I hear Brian on Howard Stern occasionally...seems like a good guy to me too.

User Info Menu

Bon Scott for sure .... but thats not saying that Brian Johnson is a slouch. i enjoy both.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    The unsung star of the band IMO is Malcom. His driving rhythm guitar lines are quintessential to the band's sound, but Angus gets the limelight - I think he probably wants it that way. This isn't to say that Angus isn't awesome in his own right, but only to say that it unfortunately overshadows the essential part that Malcom brings to it.
    Agree 100% with this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I don't think that's any secret. Angus himself has said as much.

User Info Menu

^^^ I agree also. Malcolm just goes about his business without the need of any flashy bells and whistles. He's a true genius IMO.

So, can we adjust this thread to ask the question:
    Do Angus and Malcolm still rate as good axemen in today's music scene?

User Info Menu

I liked em both really. I'm just glad there's someone to carry on the torch and continue AC-DC's awesomeness!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hands down Bon Scott for me. I just really don't care too much for Brian Johnson, I don't know why, it may be like what stuperprohero was alluding to.

User Info Menu

I am a big supporter of the originals in almost any band, and Bon Scott is no exception. I feel like he made a large part of the AC/DC sound and really anything Brian Johnson does is really just imitating. Not to hate on Johnson by any means, but Bon Scott was the man.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I can't even tell the difference. Sound pretty similar to me. I believe it is a "put on" voice. Nobody has a natural singing voice like that.
    As far a front man abilities...don't know...never followed them much.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Bon Scott by far!

User Info Menu

Bon Scott....not quite as bad ( talent wise ) as the analogy between David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar....I absolutely hated Sammy as a substitute. At least with AC DC both were tolerable....just found Brian a bit more squealy.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.