Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PDP LX7 VS DW Performance Kits

User Info Menu

Default PDP LX7 VS DW Performance Kits

is this a good comparison? the LX7 vs the Performance in terms of sound and quality? I LOVE the DW Performance kit. I think I am finally close to making "THE" big purchase. I've been playing for 15 years on the same set of reliable, trustworthy Pearls, but it's time.

I really love the DW's, can anyone tell me other than the weaved maple shells what types of true differences there are between them and the LX7's?

I was trying to go cheap at one point and just buy a used set of whatever I could pay cash for, but I think i'm going all out and using that line of credit I have at Guitar Center this time.

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP LX7 VS DW Performance Kits

From what I've read the DW's are superior to all PDP's. The Performance are supposed to be the same quality of the Collectors, so while I don't know the exact specs and haven't played both side-by-side, I'd feel comfortable saying that the DW Performance kits are superior drums.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

yeah I'm just wondering why. I've played the DW's and love them. I just don't want to drop an extra $1k if I'm making a mistake. Although the DW's do seem to hold their value better from what I have seen too. Although #2 I'm looking for a kit to last me for pretty much ever so that's not really relevant lol.

User Info Menu

I am just talking out my butt here, but, from what I've noticed and heard from my GC buds, the X7 is PDP's mid-level line. For PDP, the Platinum series is where it's at. From there it's like putting the nicest Epi. Les Paul up against the bottom of the line Gib. Les Paul. The Epi. will play better, sound better and have better hardware.

I think the same would be said for the PDP Platinum series over the DW Performance series, but the PDP X7 would fall short. Although I may be wrong. You can never really tell by playing GC kits as the heads usually suck and are way out of tune.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

I thought the PDP platinum was discontinued thats why I thought X7.

you're right about the heads though. drives me nuts to see sloppy heads on a $2500 kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGoRound View Post
    it's like putting the nicest Epi. Les Paul up against the bottom of the line Gib. Les Paul. The Epi. will play better, sound better and have better hardware.

I know more than a few guitar players who would completely disagree with that statement.

User Info Menu

The DW Performance Series are made in the USA at the same factory the Collector's are made. The PDPs are made in China (many nice drums coming out of China right now BTW).

The DWs are made from North American Rock Maple. I believe (please chime in if I'm wrong), the PDPs are made from Asian Maple.

The PDPs are offered in lacquered finishes only (if you like sparkles you should like these). The DWs are offered in lacquered finishes and FinishPly finishes. The DWs IMO are not a flashy as the PDP X7s.

PDPs offered as a 7 pc. kit. DWs offered as a 4 or 5 pc. and you need to build the rest as add-ons.

DWs shells have a combination of 3 different wood grain orientations, layered horizontally, vertically and at a diagonal. I believe the plys on the X7 shells are all layered horizontally.

User Info Menu

I am just talking out my butt here, but, from what I've noticed and heard from my GC buds, the X7 is PDP's mid-level line. For PDP, the Platinum series is where it's at. From there it's like putting the nicest Epi. Les Paul up against the bottom of the line Gib. Les Paul. The Epi. will play better, sound better and have better hardware.

I think the same would be said for the PDP Platinum series over the DW Performance series, but the PDP X7 would fall short. Although I may be wrong. You can never really tell by playing GC kits as the heads usually suck and are way out of tune.
    I also know quite a few that would argue with you, however the guitar world is different from the drum world. I used to own an X7 kit, and my friend down the road has a set of Platinums. We used to compare our kits regularly.

The Dw Performance series is superior to the platinum series in hardware, shell construction and quality, and finishes (quality wise). I've got to compare them side by side, and they are quite different. The Performance series also sounds much better IMO.

Now if you compare the Platinums to the X7s, I would honestly say the x7 is more bang for your buck. Like i said, I have owned the X7's before, I think the hardware is basically the same, I'm not sure about the shell quality, and finishes are not any superior(quality wise of course). When we compared them side by side, I did not notice a lot of difference in sound. I would buy the X7's over the platinums. HOWEVER, with the platinums being recently discontinued, I think I would be able to find a good deal on them somewhere, and if the price was right, I would definitely buy them.

So it comes down to how much you want to spend, the X7 is a heck of a kit for the money, but if you can afford it, I'd definitely recommend the Performance series over it. It's hard to compare Dw to Pdp in terms of hardware, finshes(quality wise, once again), especially shell construction, and even sound. The x7s sound awesome but the Performance series has the genuine "Dw sound" if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Ciz; 08-16-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Yes I think I do know what you mean, and thank you for the great summary guys. very very helpful!! Its just helping me make the dive into DW more and more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Yes I think I do know what you mean, and thank you for the great summary guys. very very helpful!! Its just helping me make the dive into DW more and more.
    Keep us posted on what you decide. I was doing my research, like you, a couple of months ago. I pulled the trigger on the Performance Series. I ordered mine and have to wait for it. If you don't find what you want on the shelf the current wait time once ordered is 14 weeks. Production moved from MX to CA earlier this year and current stock include kits from both factories. The only noted difference is the kick drum hoops now have a natural finish on the interior. They didn't start making FinishPly finishes until recently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arefish View Post
    keep us posted on what you decide..
    1+

User Info Menu

Try and find a used MX or LX series, they are going cheap on Ebay and CL and were at the time Pdps top of the line drums (on par with Platinums) although if I had the money to buy a new kit right now....it would be a DW Performance kit.

User Info Menu

Ahh. Like I said. Talking out my butt.

I didn't know the Platinums were discontinued. (or that their quality was that low for that matter)

My bad for the misdirection.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Ahh. Like I said. Talking out my butt.

I didn't know the Platinums were discontinued. (or that their quality was that low for that matter)

My bad for the misdirection.
    Yeah they were discontinued shortly after the Performance series was released, go figure and the Platinums quality is not bad by any means, but it is inferior to the DeeDubs. Sound is subjective however I can say that to MY EARS, the DeeDubs sound quite a bit better.

User Info Menu

in my opinion i would have to say Dee Dubs for sure,i bought the pdp x7 kit and just thought the hardware was a little cheesy,the toms wouldnt really tighten you really had to crank them,i returned it to GC,the price was right,i got the drums sounding good,but when GC didnt have any moon gel i found it at another little shop and they had "my" Tama Starclassic for sale so i bought them and returned the x7s
    Last edited by Bubingabill; 08-16-2011 at 11:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bubingabill View Post
    in my opinion i would have to say Dee Dubs for sure,i bought the pdp x7 kit and just thought the hardware was a little cheesy,the toms wouldnt really tighten you really had to crank them,i returned it to GC,the price was right,i got the drums sounding good,but when GC didnt have any moon gel i found it at another little shop and they had "my" Tama Starclassic for sale so i bought them and returned the x7s
    That was one of my biggest gripes about Pdp, the hardware. Though I stripped the screw thing out in my Pearl S2000 snare stand, along with one of the booms. Gotta love Tama and Dw for their hardware especially

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Keep us posted on what you decide. I was doing my research, like you, a couple of months ago. I pulled the trigger on the Performance Series. I ordered mine and have to wait for it. If you don't find what you want on the shelf the current wait time once ordered is 14 weeks. Production moved from MX to CA earlier this year and current stock include kits from both factories. The only noted difference is the kick drum hoops now have a natural finish on the interior. They didn't start making FinishPly finishes until recently.
    14 Weeks!! OUCH, I hadn't realized there was such a lead time. I'm going to email my guy at GC and ask him to help me get my kit priced out with lead time. I'm leaning DW all the way now. $$ ouch. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bubingabill View Post

the moongels comment has me a bit concerned. What I loved about the DW Performance kit I played is I thought they sounded insane with no gels, just perfect. I have tried everything on my pearls and I can never get them where I want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciz View Post
    That was one of my biggest gripes about Pdp, the hardware. Though I stripped the screw thing out in my Pearl S2000 snare stand, along with one of the booms. Gotta love Tama and Dw for their hardware especially
    I never had 'real' hardware issues with my Pearls but knowing there is a difference is a major selling point to me. I want to treat these drums like a guitarist would treat his $2500 Gibson http://platinum.guitarcenter.com/Gui...fm?prodId=2394

I'm developing a real appreciation for the little things, like the finish, hardware, etc. I'm super excited. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens next lol.

BTW, i'm leaning towards the Marine White, which my wife likes too:
    http://www.dwdrums.com/showroom/kits...rf-whitemarine

my wife also likes the Cherry Stain and the Black Diamond, but I just feel like the white set really stands out as something special. It's classy but bold. especially for rock. I felt even better about it when I noticed Barry Kerch's kit looks pretty similar...hehe

http://www.dwdrums.com/showroom/kits...rf-cherrystain

User Info Menu

I just emailed my guy at GC and told him to price me out and provide lead time for:

DW Performance kit
    3 fast tom rack toms
    1 floor tom
    and optional with/without snare. <-- I love my pork pie so I'm torn on whether its worth another $400-500+ to add DW Snare. I kinda think i should
    DW 9000 double kick pedals
    Marine White

User Info Menu

14 Weeks!! OUCH, I hadn't realized there was such a lead time. I'm going to email my guy at GC and ask him to help me get my kit priced out with lead time. I'm leaning DW all the way now. $$ ouch. lol

I'm developing a real appreciation for the little things, like the finish, hardware, etc. I'm super excited. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens next lol.

BTW, i'm leaning towards the Marine White, which my wife likes too:

my wife also likes the Cherry Stain and the Black Diamond, but I just feel like the white set really stands out as something special. It's classy but bold. especially for rock. I felt even better about it when I noticed Barry Kerch's kit looks pretty similar...hehe
    Keep in mind if you buy from GC they will price match for you. The White Marine is one of the new wraps and I haven't seen any prices for those yet. If you ask them to price match have them take a look at Sweet-water as one of the comparisons.

I just emailed my guy at GC and told him to price me out and provide lead time for:

DW Performance kit
    3 fast tom rack toms
    1 floor tom
    and optional with/without snare. <-- I love my pork pie so I'm torn on whether its worth another $400-500+ to add DW Snare. I kinda think i should
    DW 9000 double kick pedals
    Marine White
    I'd be interested to hear if they can get you this kit without the snare. Typically these kits are sold in one of two packages:

1) 10", 12", 14", 14 x 5.5" snare, you pick the kick size for a 5 pc.
    2) 12", 16", 14 x 6.5 snare, you pick the kick size for a 4 pc.

User Info Menu

duuuuuude.... thanks for the heads up on swee****er. you might have saved me like $600 or more... Didn't even know about them.

http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/PSKit422WH/

in marine white, plus 1 tom... nice.

User Info Menu

I think marine white would hide scratches better than the solid ice white... that's one of the reasons why I like it more.

User Info Menu

duuuuuude.... thanks for the heads up on swee****er. you might have saved me like $600 or more... Didn't even know about them.
    in marine white, plus 1 tom... nice.
    Just so we are on the same page...the kit you are looking at on Sweet-water is Ice White (a lacquer) it is NOT White Marine (a wrap).

User Info Menu

yeah I know, I'm looking just at the kit in terms of basic pricing ideas. That kit was like $2300 at GC, but now that i'm looking at GC's website, it's the same price. so... that's kinda a nice surprise. I wonder what the premium and lead time will be for marine white.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DW-Perfo...99-i1556188.gc

User Info Menu

well shoot. nobody appears to really stock the marine white. this may suck. lol.

User Info Menu

well shoot. nobody appears to really stock the marine white. this may suck. lol.
    I haven't seen any of the wraps available on-line yet. I did have a phone conversation with a big drum only shop and this particular shop can get 3 FinishPly options not listed on DWs web site. They are exclusive to that shop. I thought that was pretty cool.