Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Know This Will Get Some People Mad But..

User Info Menu

Default I Know This Will Get Some People Mad But..

When is there ever a time drums can be played normally and not be ridiculous and obnoxious?

I've been using Vic Firth Silencer pads on my set for a little over a year (Most of my time as a drummer) and even with those on my drums are still a good volume, but not ridiculous. I mean, without a method of silencing, drums are just too loud to deal with. The only situation I can see them being fine is a big (I mean big) gig, or a room with a lot of stuff on the walls to absorb sound/resonance.

I don't see why silencer pads get so much hate, if you mess with some things everything on the kit sounds good. The snare sounds fine with the wire (Maybe a bit louder then eveything else, but if set to the right tightness its fine) and even when its off it sounds pretty good. The toms still get their individual pitches, and surprisingly sound great with some tuning adjustments. I used some U-Glu to get the bass pad onto the bass drum, and if you really get it stuck on there it gives a nice thud. The hats sound fine, and still sound good when you open them (Although you don't open them as much as you normally would) Many people complain about cymbals sounding like crap, but I actually get great sound from a good angle, and even the bells sound good.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I Know This Will Get Some People Mad But..

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator42009 View Post
    When is there ever a time drums can be played normally and not be ridiculous and obnoxious?

I've been using Vic Firth Silencer pads on my set for a little over a year (Most of my time as a drummer) and even with those on my drums are still a good volume, but not ridiculous. I mean, without a method of silencing, drums are just too loud to deal with. The only situation I can see them being fine is a big (I mean big) gig, or a room with a lot of stuff on the walls to absorb sound/resonance.

I don't see why silencer pads get so much hate, if you mess with some things everything on the kit sounds good. The snare sounds fine with the wire (Maybe a bit louder then eveything else, but if set to the right tightness its fine) and even when its off it sounds pretty good. The toms still get their individual pitches, and surprisingly sound great with some tuning adjustments. I used some U-Glu to get the bass pad onto the bass drum, and if you really get it stuck on there it gives a nice thud. The hats sound fine, and still sound good when you open them (Although you don't open them as much as you normally would) Many people complain about cymbals sounding like crap, but I actually get great sound from a good angle, and even the bells sound good.

I think that when someone takes up the drums, they accept that they are loud, and deal with it.

Maybe what you need is a e-kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I think that when someone takes up the drums, they accept that they are loud, and deal with it.

Maybe what you need is a e-kit.
    Oh, I'm perfectly fine with the volume. If you think of the fact that drums are loud enough that they can be heard across fields when hit normally, then factor in cymbals and bass drums, and hitting harder, its ridiculous to other people. The fact I live with 6.. yes 6 other people doesn't help either. Realistically speaking, I'd like to be behind the set 1-2 hours+ a day, and for my entire family and neighbors to deal with the sound for just 5-10 minutes is pretty ridiculous. Also, my drums are in an open area in the house, so that pretty much cancels out anyone watching tv in the first 2 floors (which is pretty much all my family does in the afternoon)

User Info Menu

Get a set of E-drums and build a small enclosure to house them so that way you can practice to your hearts content and never bother anyone.

Drums are loud - that's part of it. I try to keep my family in mind when I practice, and I have a room in my house in the basement where I've done some low level sound insulation to try to keep things down in the rest of the house. I understand what you are saying, but it just is what it is - if you can't handle the volume, then maybe look into a quieter instrument. Like trumpet.

ThePloughman Guest

You are going to have to work out a schedule where you can open up and play.
    It might not be easy, but it can be worked out.
    Work at playing with less volume, because in the real world, if you ever gig, you will need those skills.

Develope technique, finesse, and dynamic.

Sunday I played a gig in the local Sears department store. And nothing I did could even come close to being called hitting harder.

Monday, I played a gig in a 25x25 room, Grand piano, bass, guitar, drums. And close to 20 old people. We were never too loud.

youve just got to learn to play the room. You dont have to be too loud.

And the drums are wide open, no muffling on the snare or toms. Bass has an EQ3 batter and a solid front Fiberskyn reso.

It can be done.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 08-16-2011 at 09:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I in no way have an issue with the situation at home I am in now, the silencer pads do their job and there's no issue there.

I've just been thinking, if I were to ever play a gig (obviously a small setting) wouldn't it be overwhelming and ridiculous?

An no, I'm not a thrasher, although I do get into my playing when the song calls for it.

User Info Menu

TPM is correct. You should be able to play in most settings with acoustic drums. It's up to the drummer to learn to play a wide variety of dynamics. I love to wail on the drums mic'd in a big venue, but I know I can't play quite as loud in a bar (wish someone would tell the bassist and lead guitarist they can't either), and in some really small practice settings I have to bring it down more.

I have drum mute, and I don't think there's anything wrong with using them. The real downside is that you don't get the natural feel from the head, so I find I can't play quite the same when they are on.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Aviator, I don't think there is any reason to get mad about this discussion. A lot depends on where you see your playing going. If learning the drums is more of a recreational hobby, then there is probably not much reason to take off the mutes. On the other hand, if as Ploughman has pointed out, you want to learn to play in a variety of situations with a band, then the mutes will ultimately need to come off in order to develop the touch necessary to learn dynamics. Otherwise, an e-kit can provide the necessary adjustable volume control.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I would say E-drums are no quiter than acoustic drums with silencers on.

I use an Alesis E-kit for practicing at home and it lives in the garden shed. Recently some new nieghbours moved in across the road, and we invited them to a party we hosted at our house. While talking to her she asked "does someone round here play drums?" to which i replied "er yeah, that's me". She can hear the E-drums and she lives across the street.

Point is, if you switch to an E-kit, you'll still annoy everyone around you.

User Info Menu

I can play quietly. Or you could use brushes. I will admit the snare sounds best hit harder, to me, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerUK View Post
    I would say E-drums are no quiter than acoustic drums with silencers on.

I use an Alesis E-kit for practicing at home and it lives in the garden shed. Recently some new nieghbours moved in across the road, and we invited them to a party we hosted at our house. While talking to her she asked "does someone round here play drums?" to which i replied "er yeah, that's me". She can hear the E-drums and she lives across the street.

Point is, if you switch to an E-kit, you'll still annoy everyone around you.
    Hey Gunner! Are you lucky enough to have power in your shed to allow you to play out in the garden shed? That sounds like a man-cave! Do you play through headphones with your Alesis kit? Does the Alesis have solid rubber heads or mesh? I'm in a townhouse arrangement and play Yamaha e-drums - no one even knows I'm playing unless I'm going through an amp (very rarely do I do that in the house)

User Info Menu

You think having drum silencers is better then being loud. Hate hate hate. But yeah anyway get an e-kit if your worried about the sound.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Get an e-kit or learn how to play with finesse. As someone else stated earlier, it can be done. Check out the "unplugged" videos by various artists. I've played with acoustic ensembles (acoustic guitar, stand up bass, piano) in small rooms. Works out just fine.

Maybe try a pair of rod sticks.

User Info Menu

Well I practice alot on the set, and on a pad, and sometimes on a pillow, and even on a rockband set, so I'm pretty used to different feels. In a band practice situation I'll definitely be playing muteless and same at gigs so I'll have practice playing on an actual set. I was just trying to get some reassurance that drums aren't so loud I wouldn't be able to have fun playing a small gig.

Also, mutes don't make the drums undynamic, so I play on plenty of dynamic levels, quiet being one of them.

User Info Menu

Well man you heard from everyone here so far get a e-kit or live with the silencer pads.

User Info Menu

Try some hot rods. The wood dowel type. There nowhere near as louds as regular sticks and you can still play normally. In our jazz group sometimes we have to play soft and I can usually get by with brushes or the hot rods. I can also play very light with sticks but that comes with practice and experience.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

i don't want to sound like a snob but i think it's just your inexperience that has you concerned. touch, feel and dynamics are things you can only learn playing in a live setting. i live in an apartment so i have to use the silencer pads like you. and also like you i don't mind them. but your concern about the volume during a live setting is something you have to work out during practices with the band or even by your self with out the pads.
    with the pads on you simply can not get all of the different sounds out of a drum that you can get with out them. you have to hit the drums in many different ways to get many different sounds and that can't be done with the silencers. you will also discover that when playing with a band sometimes your volume is not up to. if you are playing with a guitar player that loves to go high on the volume you have to match or the overall band won't sound right. when playing smaller venues i sometimes use 7a sticks instead of 5b's. the smaller sticks help me to play lighter - maybe just me. if i am playing an unplugged set i may use lightning rods or hot rods which have been mentioned before.
    i think you'll have no worries about the volume of your drums the more you play live with out the pads. you'll eventually find your own dynamics. but that's the key how hard you hit and when. a rim shot or light hit to the middle of the snare that sort of thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Hey Gunner! Are you lucky enough to have power in your shed to allow you to play out in the garden shed? That sounds like a man-cave! Do you play through headphones with your Alesis kit? Does the Alesis have solid rubber heads or mesh? I'm in a townhouse arrangement and play Yamaha e-drums - no one even knows I'm playing unless I'm going through an amp (very rarely do I do that in the house)
    I always play through headphones at home. It's a 'DM-5 pro' and the pads are like real drum heads with rubber underneath, the snare head is mesh as I use a Yamaha pad for that. I guess i hit them pretty hard

Larrysperf Guest

Same as keeping the beat you have to learn to play for the room

User Info Menu

I was just trying to get some reassurance that drums aren't so loud I wouldn't be able to have fun playing a small gig.
    If You're playing rock stuff then you'll be at just the right volume for a small gig. In fact, you'll be telling the banjo-ists to turn down so you don't have to pound the kit just to be heard.

For larger gigs you would probably need to mic the kit up.

I wouldn't worry about the volume unless it's a really small gig like in someones living room.

User Info Menu

Hmm, I guess I was wrong in believing that the drums would be too loud, thanks for proving me wrong. Might have something to do with the fact I'm very self conscious and have really good ears (I hear louder then others) that made me paranoid.

User Info Menu

Hmm, I guess I was wrong in believing that the drums would be too loud, thanks for proving me wrong. Might have something to do with the fact I'm very self conscious and have really good ears (I hear louder then others) that made me paranoid.
    Just keep your sensitive ears by wearing earplugs!!!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Can you hear me now lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Well like I said, I use silencers, which bring them down to a nice volume I can play without any ear-strain. The music coming through the headphones is the real problem

User Info Menu

I love me some loud drums. Mine are kept in a small "office" I built in the garage, years ago, when I officed out of the house. It's my tiny little man cave. I hang a pair of ear muffs on the door handle outside. If my wife or one of my daughters need me, they put those on before entering the concussion room.

-Randy
    Last edited by Texdrumr; 08-17-2011 at 07:38 PM.