Thread: Worst Experience On The Road

User Info Menu

Default Worst Experience On The Road

I was reading Jobby's thread about the tiny drum riser and his overall lousy night and thought it might make a good thread for everybody who hasn't experienced playing in front of an audience to hear some horror stories, basically to see that it's not always a great experience - and it might be a bit cathartic for those of us who have. I'll start...

Had just joined a working covers/originals band with a 50 or so song repertoire (15 originals, 35 covers). Practiced for about a week for like four+ hours a night with the group. I had just gotten back into drumming after a 15 year layoff - had practiced on my new set for about a month alone prior to the audition just trying to get my rhythm and rudiments back, muscle memory, etc. Played our first gig on the following Friday night at a local college hang-out "unplugged" i.e. no house sound, just the bands own amps and me. We absolutely rocked. The place was jumping all night, other bands (who weren't working) were there and after we were through everybody came up and complimented us on how great we sounded and the other bands who knew my bandmates complimented them on me and on finding such a good drummer on short notice. so naturally, I got a bit, well actually ALOT, overconfident. Yep, the strut was in my step. Couldn't wait for the next night where we were playing a larger club with a stage, house sound and light show, etc. It was a kind of mini-showcase that had been set-up months before and we were one of three bands that would play that Saturday night for some of the local talent scouts and booking companies and a house full of paid attendees. Well, you know where I'm going... I sucked so freakin' bad it wasn't even funny!!! I missed practically every ending, choked on some fills and basically embarrased the hell out of myself (and, of course my bandmates). I actually thought about just giving it up at that point. After we packed up, the rest of the band took me over to the side for a drink 'cuz they could see how really down on myself I was and gave me this incredible pep talk, referred to the previous night and how good we were and said that that was what it would be like every night after we had more opportunity to practice together. Kinda like the night before was a precursor of all the good things to come... And they were right. We all practiced ALOT and got better and better. They were a good bunch of guys (and a female lead singer) and, unfortunately, after about 18 months of touring the regional club scene and recording a CD of our originals, we broke up. I still talk to them every now and then. None of us ever got back into a band. Although I'm looking to start another one now.

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 06-11-2007 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

I was playing one time in front of thousands of people. I went to kick off the next song and just froze. I could not "hear" the song in my head! It was the ultimate brain freeze! There was dead silence in the air. Finally the bass player leaned over to me and said, "Let's go man, what are you waiting for?" - So I just started counting but didn't even know what tempo I was supposed to be counting off. I just hoped and prayed the band would know and that I would be quick enough to adapt. We sort of just fell into place. The band was furious. I was humiliated and embarrased. How I kept my job, I'll never know. But they just forgot about it and never even really came to me and asked me about it. I never knew whether that happens to other musicians or not. I just kept it to myself. I worked much harder after that day to remember everything. I would always have little cheat sheets and anything I could do to keep it from ever happening again. It's a frightening experience!

User Info Menu

oh man, that would be the worst fealing in the world. I can't even amagine what it would be like to be in your shoes. Why did yeah freeze? nervous, or just one of those brain blocks?

User Info Menu

Man my old were getting ready to play one of our biggest venues ever, and I was sicker thank a dogg, running a 102 degree temp, puking, just sicker than crap, I almost cancelled the show, but I didn't, I couldn't this was our biggest show ever, so I played the show, and we fricken rocked the house, we were called back up for an encore and everything, that was my worst but best moment on the road. I actually felt much better after the show as well, pure determination.

User Info Menu

wow now thats what you called a SICK concert.

User Info Menu

You're a funy guy, Lafirin! Way to go!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

hehe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    we were called back up for an encore and everything, that was my worst but best moment on the road.
    Anyone heard of the unwritten rule about encores?
    a wise man once said that if you are an up and coming band that has been called back for an encore then youshouldn't go back out. Apparently because if the audience really wants to see you again they ahould come to your next gig. I now don't go out for encores even though its a really really good feeling...not implying anything...

User Info Menu

My worst experience on the road was when I, uh............. I don't have one (not yet) :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mexicancounciloffood
    Anyone heard of the unwritten rule about encores?
    a wise man once said that if you are an up and coming band that has been called back for an encore then youshouldn't go back out. Apparently because if the audience really wants to see you again they ahould come to your next gig. I now don't go out for encores even though its a really really good feeling...not implying anything...
    The man wasn't that wise. I've played many shows where they don't go back out. The audience thinks you're lame if you don't. They think you're a goody, goody and it creates a negative vibe. Give 'em what they want and they'll come see you again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    The man wasn't that wise. I've played many shows where they don't go back out. The audience thinks you're lame if you don't. They think you're a goody, goody and it creates a negative vibe. Give 'em what they want and they'll come see you again!
    I agree!