Thread: Double/Triple

User Info Menu

Default Double/Triple

Ok - so those who know me know that I've been drumming somewhere around 8 months (with a few breaks here and there due to time constraints/financial woes). That being said, I have SUCH a hard time with doubles and triples mainly because I have SUCH a hard time letting my fingers work the stick. This is not something I haven't practiced religiously - in fact I'm probably a little psychotic in trying to get the bounce down pat but I just can't seem to manage it. I've tried different grips - german, french, trad, etc and nothing seems to work for me. It's almost like my fingers just don't want to do it. My latest attempt has been to grip the stick in a typical match grip and then use my middle and ring fingers to bounce with my pink tucked into my palm. Despite that it's very unorthodox, I've found that I do my best with this grip - but it's still subpar.

My teacher has gone over and over it with me and has tried to give me pointers and put things a new way but he says my grips are fine, posture is fine, etc but I just can't do it. It's driving me bonkers! All of that being said, did anyone else have a lot of difficulty with this? It seems like people who took up drumming a week ago can do it but I still can't with any proficiency and, frankly, it's defeating. If you have any tips, please let me know. Gracias!
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double/Triple

Quote Originally Posted by Dagon2000 View Post
    Ok - so those who know me know that I've been drumming somewhere around 8 months (with a few breaks here and there due to time constraints/financial woes). That being said, I have SUCH a hard time with doubles and triples mainly because I have SUCH a hard time letting my fingers work the stick. This is not something I haven't practiced religiously - in fact I'm probably a little psychotic in trying to get the bounce down pat but I just can't seem to manage it. I've tried different grips - german, french, trad, etc and nothing seems to work for me. It's almost like my fingers just don't want to do it. My latest attempt has been to grip the stick in a typical match grip and then use my middle and ring fingers to bounce with my pink tucked into my palm. Despite that it's very unorthodox, I've found that I do my best with this grip - but it's still subpar.

My teacher has gone over and over it with me and has tried to give me pointers and put things a new way but he says my grips are fine, posture is fine, etc but I just can't do it. It's driving me bonkers! All of that being said, did anyone else have a lot of difficulty with this? It seems like people who took up drumming a week ago can do it but I still can't with any proficiency and, frankly, it's defeating. If you have any tips, please let me know. Gracias!
    Unless your trying to work on finger technique, you don't NEED to use your fingers. Just keep your fingers wrapped loosely around the stick and use your wrists.

User Info Menu

It's not easy, doing a good double stroke roll. I got so frustrated I went with a press roll with so much pressure on my wrists that actually built up so much wrist strength that I can now do buzz rolls, press rolls, press/double strokes and regular doubles. Took 2 yrs for that development. Kind of a backwards engineering thing.
    When you first start you're training large, slow reacting muscle fibers. Eventually as you speed up or push the speed, the faster reacting fiber muscle groups take over and "fire" for that double stroke wrist flick(when it's uncontrolled is like a spasm.)
    Repetition eventually trains the "spasm" and you're good to go!
    This is similar to the fast ankle/foot "spasm" many drummers use for multiple, fast kick strokes.

User Info Menu

Slinglander said it. For me its about using pressure bearing down to get your bounce for fast doubles and triples. With your heads cranked down now those sticks should be bouncing real good without much pressure. It still takes wrist movement to keep control though.

Try one stick at a time, and just hit the drum but let it bounce, go left then right arm. Try to count and control the roll or rebounds. Just slow it way down. For a double, hit-bounce- pull the stick off. With a triple, hit-bounce-bounce-pull the stick off. Just do it slow and speed up alittle at a time.

Best I can tell you.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Thanks guys - I guess I'm just one of those that it's going to take a while to get it. It's at least nice to know that others have had the issue as slinglander did for a couple of years. And I don't have much issue with press rolls either (I'm not great at them, but I can do them). Maybe I'll just stick with that for a while and work on the doubles and triples as I can.

And yes, Jafo, you're absolutely correct - the bounce I get off my toms is pretty intense compared to a normally tuned tom.
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash

User Info Menu

When I first started working to learn rudimental snare, my early progress was painstakingly slow and I didn't see how I could possibly ever do any of it, much less be able to do it like the guys I knew in the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps. Gradually things started to come around and eventually I got to where I could play pretty well, and even did some Fife and Drum Corps drumming for a civillian FDC after I got out of the Army. It did take a while though. This was a gradual process that took a few years, although to be fair, I wasn't working on it diligently. As a bugler and family man, I'd have periods where I was all over it, and other times when I didn't really touch it. Overall I practice drums much more now than I did back then.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Practice on pillows. That will get your fingers involved.

When I first started, before I had a set of drums, I beat the crap out of pillows.

Even after I got my first set of drums, at night I still used pillows to practice what sticking I knew. Did it for years and I don't think it hurt my technique (what there is of it) much.

User Info Menu

rick,
    did the pillow thing get you started or just make you faster after you could do a rudiment? My experience is if you didn't have the muscles trained, the pillows actually make you think you're hitting well early on, but switch over to hitting a drum head & you're all over the place, sometimes not hitting at all.
    My point is that the muscles need some tension exercise to get stronger-like a press roll, until you realize that you can be raising the sticks between "presses,"allowing you to convert that press roll into a double stroke. Then double stroke slowly out of the press roll and "voila" you can now do doubles! Actually I worked from buzz (bounce)to press to doubles. Now get to work on the pillows for speed.
    (Also pillow hitting is easier on your hands-no shock thru the sticks from hitting a hard surface, like a pad or drum head.)
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    rick,
    did the pillow thing get you started or just make you faster after you could do a rudiment? My experience is if you didn't have the muscles trained, the pillows actually make you think you're hitting well early on, but switch over to hitting a drum head & you're all over the place, sometimes not hitting at all.
    My point is that the muscles need some tension exercise to get stronger-like a press roll, until you realize that you can be raising the sticks between "presses,"allowing you to convert that press roll into a double stroke. Then double stroke slowly out of the press roll and "voila" you can now do doubles! Actually I worked from buzz (bounce)to press to doubles. Now get to work on the pillows for speed.
    (Also pillow hitting is easier on your hands-no shock thru the sticks from hitting a hard surface, like a pad or drum head.)

When I got my first set of drums, I just sat down and played. I don't remember any problems going from pillows to real drums.

I think, if anything, they helped my speed. From my teen years till my late 50's, I was pretty fast, and being that I never even owned a practice pad, what speed I had, I've always attributed to playing on pillows.

There are several famous drummers that have said that playing on pillows is what they did. I used to fold them between my legs to make them a little tighter and give me some rebound. As far as I'm concerned, they helped.

User Info Menu

Get a nice heavy pair of sticks, and play on a no-bounce surface doing double strokes, parradiddles, etc. I think moongel makes a no-bounce pad thats not too pricey. pillows work too. or your leg.

Good luck!

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Triple stroke rolls are really hard anyways. Don't beat yourself up over it.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi