Thread: Ddrum Reflex

User Info Menu

Default Ddrum Reflex

So my drum set is treading on thin ice and im bout to throw it in the dumpster, i replace the batter on my kick, and 2 lugs break. There is already 3 broken, 1 on the batter, and 2 on the resonant. the drums will NOT stay in tune, no matter what i do, they always fall to this low, gurgly sound. sounds like crap. whenever i play my 18" floor extensively, one of the legs falls through the holder, and falls on my leg. i have my bass drum backwards (moved the batter to the resonant side, making the tom mount closer to me) for good reason. My rack tom is a 14" if i had it mounted on the bass drum is setup normally, then i couldn't have the 14" positioned comfortably, the drums shell is so deep. it would either be sitting straight up, maybe a little bit of tilt, or all the way to the side. So i switched the bass drum heads around to allow me to do what i do. another issue, is whenever i hit the 14", it moves. i have it on there as tight as i can get it. still moves. even tho the position is more comfortable compared to the kick being set up normally, the 14 is still quite high, and naturally i do a lot of rim shots, which causes the tension rods facing me to loosen to the point of not even being in contact with the lug.

are these are normal things drummers have to deal with? lol, am i just being lazy? i dont feel like it. it doesn't seem like other people i know have to put up with half the amount of crap that i do with my kit.

So yesterday i was shopping online, and i've always kinda been inclined to like Ddrum for some reason. A while ago i saw the dominion going for 700 or something, but at the time i didn't have the funds. but i liked everything about the kit. Yesterday i was looking online, and saw the reflex kit going for 499.99. I called skips music, a local store here in sac, dude in the drums said he could get it for me at the same price, +tax and shipping, would come to 558. i am soooo tempted to buy this thing with my next check, but i dont want to do anything i would regret 3 months down the road. With all the guff my current kit has been giving me lately, i feel like this ddrum would be a good, affordable replacement, and a major upgrade, but a lot of people hate ddrum, and i dont know why lol. i dont know if they hate em just cuz they can or what the deal is. Has anyone played on? Heard one? even seen one?
    Last edited by drmn4life; 08-17-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ddrum Reflex

I had a Ddrum Diablo Punx (see my pics) and it was decent. The hardware was a little shady. ie. the floor tom leg mounts were mearly a wing bolt that screwed into a threaded hunk of crap that the leg slid through so that just the tip of the bolt pressed up against the leg. Tighten a little too tight and you would strip the threads in the block and have to replace the whole thing. Other than that I didn't really have too many complaints. Their quality their lower to mid-line kits has started going downhill in the past few years though, but I do know anything about the Reflex.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

drmn4life, ddrum got a bad rep because of some quality control problems - specifically, their bearing edges had become suspect. Over the past few years, they have been bending over backwards to rehab their image, and the quality control issues improved. There are some here that have had good success with ddrum kits, so I'm sure they will weigh in at some point. I did look up the kit, and noticed that it is a 100% alder shell. With what I know of alder as a guitar wood, it should be similar to ash shells, but with a slightly thicker, rounder tone. The ash wood will accentuate the upper register a bit more.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    The ash wood will accentuate the upper register a bit more.
    what? lol
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

User Info Menu

Sorry. The higher tones will stand out a bit more.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have some defiant ddrums and I have them because I got such a great deal on them. I have played them once out on a gig and had no problems. Also alternate them in my back practice room with other sets and they sound pretty good. I put ambassador heads on my tom's. I will be useing them on any rock gigs I have as they are loud and have a 18"x22" kick drum. The snare drum is built like a tank and sounds great. My friend Felipe Torres uses the ddrum adler reflex drums and is touring with them on the Monkees reunion tour that is winding up. I had heard some bad things in the past about lugs popping and quality control but I think there a lot better now. you should go have a look and play on some if possible. The finish on my drums are beautiful grey sparkle. I pieced this set together having bought the snare ,tom and bass still in the box from a guy off CL, then found the floor tom at a music store in the mid west that ddrum refered me to. Over all I am happy with them and plan on keeping them. There are a lot of pics of them in my profile drum set folder pics. This line has been discontinued.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Sorry. The higher tones will stand out a bit more.
    haha no apologies, i thought thats what u meant, but i wasn't sure lol

hey vibes! i'll try and find someone here in sac that has one, thats a good idea!
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

User Info Menu

i think this kit looks so nice and the vids on youtube they sound amazing sucks there isnt n e where near me for me to check them out and alot of people hate on ddrum i dunno if they just have a bad rep cos they havnt been around for long ar what but i think that kit sounds great, well as much as i can get from youtube anyone got one that can give a real review of the sound and build quality
    To become a great drummer first you must be humble enough to learn

My set up

Mapex Meridian Birch - Transparent Walnut

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

Chad Smith signature Snare

User Info Menu

the only ddrum kit i ever heard was on stepbrothers
    "boats n hos!!!"
    my local GC has a dios maple 4pc used with giggin scars all over it for 500 bucks.
    snagged the hihat stand off it, salesman keeps tryin to sell the rest of it to me. says it sounds great, the roadrash on it isa dealbreaker for me.