Thread: Building My DIY E Drums...Snare complete!

User Info Menu

Default Building My DIY E Drums...Snare complete!

I've begun building my own drums after contemplating buying 6 Roland PD 105's to replace the rubber pads that came with my TD4 kits. The cost of the Rolands was just too much so I researched and came up with a design. This started with wanting to build my own Bass drums which I now have all the parts for... those I will build after I get the drums done. I had to go out of town for a few days and passing through Phoenix came across the perfect shells for my DIY snare, 3 rack and 2 floor toms at GC...The 10" Pacific mini timbale. Single head, 6 lug, very well done chrome finish. I purchased 2 of them and have completed one tom which is somewhat of a prototype to get the height adjustable riser tested and my snare which is my final design that I will use for the rest of the drums. The snare I finished today and it turned out far better than I expected...The pics and read on

The shells cost 49.00 each.

I've decided on the pintech silentech heads which are 24.00 each. They seem quieter and the black gives a nice contrast to the chrome shell.

I purchased 8 piezo's and cones from a resource in Canada and he threw in 2 35mm Rim piezos for 64.00

Hardware, C channel, rubber washers...enough for all 6 drums $31.00

Jacks from Radio shack 1 stereo, 5 mono 12.00.

Roland Rim Rubber from Ebay 13.00 per drum.

1/8" firm Felt sheets .50 cents each x6. I'm cutting a 9.5" disk out of these which is mounted to the L brackets floating just below the head and gives the inside a nice finished look through the opaque head. See the under or top shot.

So roughly $125.00 per drum compared to $360 for the comparable Roland pd105.

All I can say is this snare is awsome. Looks beautiful, plays as good or better than the Roland snares I have or have played at GC. I've tested my DIY's every which way possible and there is absolutely no cross talk or Hot spotting. Nice thing about having 2 of the same kit is I can compare my DIY to the roland snare and everything from the cross stick to the full on Rim shot is spot on. I'll have the rest of the shells and Pintech heads next week and expect to have the full kit completed in a few days.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Building My DIY E Drums...Snare complete!

awesome work. Can't wait to see it when it is finished!