Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCDP Drums - not making drums as of a week ago

User Info Menu

Default OCDP Drums - not making drums as of a week ago

I just now saw a notice that O.C.D.P. are no longer making drums. I don't know the details - just reporting the information I saw on a Forum where one of the owners of the drum company was unhappy to report it.
    I'm sorry to hear it. From what I've seen and read about them online they look like they're very well made custom drums.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default Re: OCDP Drums - not making drums as of a week ago

Whaaaaaa???????????
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Not to much a supprise given the current economy. Also the market being saturated with used equipment and numerous other drum makers.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Yes - there seems to be folks making Custom drums everywhere you turn. It is one tough market to build up any type of a business that you can make a living at I would think. There are tons of drum makers out there that make absolutely beautiful drums - no question. There is only so much you can do to a drum to make it better/appealing etc.
    Wood, finish, sizes and hardware ......I mean there's not much else is there. Oh yes.....and a very cool Badge don't forget.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Well, as far as custom drums go, you've got DW, Pearl Masterworks, Sonor SQ2, Pork Pie, SJC, Spaun, Phattie, C&C, Kumu, Epiarch, Truth, Trick, Dark Horse, Unix, MRP, Risen, and many more. I'm not surprised that OCDP would've stopped making drums, especially with so much competition, a limited market and the current economy...
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I'm very sorry to hear it. I guess it was a matter of the down turn taking too long to recover, plus OCDP not having a solid foothold in the market before the economy tanked. I wonder if this is the first of more to come before it's over. Many companies (and individuals) are hanging on by their fingernails, hoping that the economy will turn around before it's too late. If I were a praying man . . . oh wait, I am!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

not shocked at all. they advertised solely on: look who plays our drums! buy them!!!!
    i never considered them, played a vented snare once, liked it, hated the price.
    every small company out there has used the same business plan which is:
    step one- give free kits to proffessional drummers
    step two- advertise them playing on your kit
    step three- wait for orders to come in

in business its pointless to advertise your way out of a slump. no orders? no production.
    i see bancruptcy down the road.

how many Ddrum Vinnie Paul kits did everyone buy?

EDIT: it seems OCDP has had its bank accounts frozen, likely due to unpaid taxes. reading stories of people sending in their drums for upgrades, paid in full, 4 months later no drums sent back. not answering phones no emails etc. heard a rumor GC stepped in and bailed them out.
    i say let the company burn in hell
    Last edited by kyle102565; 08-21-2011 at 10:20 AM.

dave0549jv Guest

I guess I'm not shocked either. I mean, I never knew anybody that had one.

User Info Menu

Their target demographic seemed to be the youth/punk/skater crowd. Not known for generating high incomes.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Well guys...start buying them up. They will be collector items soon and worth small fortunes ala..Rogers, Slingerland, Camco etc...

all the best...

User Info Menu

Their website is still up so i'm wondering about the source of this info(random forum posts? come on). While they do appeal to the richer teenager, they are still known for being one of the very best in the custom business. They can and would do anything to any drum, handled any kind of finishing, the whole nine yards- they took all forms of request. I'm blown away that such a major company would fold up given their record for outstanding and highly skilled craftsmanship. As for their service, can't say because I haven't dealt with the company reps yet. If it was my business plan, I would just cancel their mainstream offerings and leave their custom shop operations as they are, or vice versa. Having both available is nice but not necessarily profitable enough to have both running at once.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I always liked the sound of there drums but doesnt fit in to the music
    i play

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Well guys...start buying them up. They will be collector items soon and worth small fortunes ala..Rogers, Slingerland, Camco etc...

all the best...
    I don't see that happening - just because a company goes out of business doesn't automatically mean that they will become collectible. There has to be some other factors that contribute to their desirability, and that's unfortunately what contributed to the current situation - not enough desirability.

Aside from that, weren't OCDPs essentially custom Keller kits? And what other notable drummers played them other than Travis Barker? What were they really offering that wasn't already being offered by other makers?

Personally, I always felt that their prices were borderline insane for no more than you got, but there was a time that people were still buying them up. Unfortunately in our current economy this is going to be the fate of many of these kinds of drum makers where the company's employees fully depend on drum sales to keep them going. There will be some smaller makers - setups who only produce part time as a side project and who otherwise make their livings doing other things - who will weather this, but OCDP will be just one of many.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

If some of the bigger....Custom drum makers....Gretsch for example....do go under it will be a sad day for many of us.
    The USA economy is all over the news these days...not just in the USA...but here in Canada too. Also..when gold is priced as it is now ..well over $1800..somthing is up...and it usually is NOT good. I've lived through the high price of gold in the past...first time I ever heard of Gold going over $1000..early 80's and it was nuts. People here in Canada were turning in their house keys to the banks (mortgage rates in the 20+% range) and walking away. The mortgage rates are not that high now, but gold is right up there. There are lots of abandoned subdivisions, car lots and malls in the USA right now....the rich are getting richer and poor getting poorer........

Lots of nice folks here on this Forum - good to be here

So - try to be happy, help your neighbour, give you fam lots of hugs and .....buy those drums you've always wanted
    Gary

User Info Menu

Yeah man. Im gonna pull the trigger on a DW snare. Cause i dont know if ill be able to later.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    If some of the bigger....Custom drum makers....Gretsch for example....do go under it will be a sad day for many of us.
    The USA economy is all over the news these days...not just in the USA...but here in Canada too. Also..when gold is priced as it is now ..well over $1800..somthing is up...and it usually is NOT good. I've lived through the high price of gold in the past...first time I ever heard of Gold going over $1000..early 80's and it was nuts. People here in Canada were turning in their house keys to the banks (mortgage rates in the 20+% range) and walking away. The mortgage rates are not that high now, but gold is right up there. There are lots of abandoned subdivisions, car lots and malls in the USA right now....the rich are getting richer and poor getting poorer........

Lots of nice folks here on this Forum - good to be here

So - try to be happy, help your neighbour, give you fam lots of hugs and .....buy those drums you've always wanted

gold prices are a bubble that will burst also. i made a small fortune in the late 70s when silver skyrocketed which was an insider scam.

ThePloughman Guest

I dont see them becoming collectable. And, they did not hold value well. It would be interesting to know if supplying the GC demands had anything to do with the downfall. As far as being Keller shell kits, I dont see the issue. Keller produces excellent quality shells. Custom companies that succeed are producing drums that have unique hardware, excellent quality control, appealing asthetics, and all of that in an affordable price range. Any 'custom' finish can be duplicated by anyone else, more or less. Hardware... should be unique, it should scream your name and demand notice. You see that Classic Lug on a drum, you dont need to see the Keystone badge to know its a Ludwig. Same for the Rogers Beavertail, or the Swivomatic hardware. Ludwig was always a bigger company, sold more drums, had a larger market share than Rogers. Rogers was a jobber....similar to most custom companies today. What set them apart in the 60s was their hardware, edge profile, quality, and sound. DW started as a hardware producer and became a drum manufacturer.

User Info Menu

Yeah, from I heard from my G.C. buddies. G.C. bought them and they are now G.C.'s house brand. Mine was made before hand, (thank God) but you should see how the quality has went down since the switch. I love mine, but I wouldn't get another one that wasn't either pre-G.C. or custom made somewhere other than where they are having their production kits made at.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGoRound View Post
    Yeah, from I heard from my G.C. buddies. G.C. bought them and they are now G.C.'s house brand. Mine was made before hand, (thank God) but you should see how the quality has went down since the switch. I love mine, but I wouldn't get another one that wasn't either pre-G.C. or custom made somewhere other than where they are having their production kits made at.
    Wow, that horrible new, to me at least.

User Info Menu

Yeah I agree with the economy, competition etc. You will see more and more of thes drum companies going under the knife and the question will be who is still standing in the end. Only the big guys wonder who that will be.

User Info Menu

Speaking of drum companies and trial by fire, does anyone know what became of FIBES? They made some really nice drums using Jasper shells.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Speaking of drum companies and trial by fire, does anyone know what became of FIBES? They made some really nice drums using Jasper shells.

all the best...
    They are still around and you can visit their website. They only make custom drums to order.

User Info Menu

They are still around and you can visit their website. They only make custom drums to order.
    I knew this was bogus from the start. Never trust any news or leaks online unless it's a verified source. OCDP didn't go anywhere they just stepped their game up to DW's level and cut off their mainstream lines. Good move from public relations, they will be seen as a true custom company now and less of a half and half manufacturer. Besides, their mainstream lines weren't reflective of how good they can actually make a set of drums sound, look, and feel. Not even close.
    Last edited by Russ; 11-06-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I saw a guy playing OCDP this weekend. He was terrible so it's tough to get a feel for how they sounded.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I saw a guy playing OCDP this weekend. He was terrible so it's tough to get a feel for how they sounded.
    It is hard to pinpoint who was terrible the drummer or the drums LOL. I think if you have a good drummer and the right heads any kit will sound good IMO.