Thread: Overtones making snare rattle.

User Info Menu

Default Overtones making snare rattle.

Hey guys, another possibly pointless question.

Basically I bought a set of Evans E-Rings yesterday and put them on my kit so that I could remove my silencers without my kit sounding awful. Anyway, so my Low tom and my floor tom make my snares rattle like a snake D:

I've tried re-tuning both of my toms AND my snare, I've loosened tension on my reso head and i've changed tension on my snare wires.

What else can I possibly do?

Thanks,

Aiden.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Overtones making snare rattle.

I normally adjust the tension on the snare (batter side) while hitting the toms causing the issue. Once you find out if tuning up or down gets rid of the buzz (or at least lessons it), tune your snare to a level you like in that range. You can adjust the tom tuning also, but I find it easier to adjust the snare only. It normally doesn't take much adjustment. You will always have a little buzz, and actually will make your toms sound a bit better in my opinion. You can also try Puresound Custom Pro Snare Wires. They are made specifically for that issue. I find that they don't work perfectly, but they do help. They look great too!! I just picked up a 24 strand for my snare yesterday.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

remove E-Rings.
    clearcut example of a sideways result.
    im assuming your rattle is nothing more than snare buzz which can be minimized. sometimes a tiny adjustment to angles will get rid of it

User Info Menu

It actually sounds quite cool playing a tom solo with a little buzz one each hit, although in most cases its something annoying you'll have to deal with unless you find a good combination of things to fix it.

User Info Menu

Its more than a little buzz, I could accept a little buzz. But this is annoying. And I would remove the E-rings but then I'd have to spend around £60 re-heading my kit =/

User Info Menu

There are a ton of snare rattle/buzz threads on this site if your looking for tips on how to lesson it. You will never totally get rid of snare buzz. It is a necessary evil whether you like it or not.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Like everyone says buzz is normal to certain point. Tighten up your snares more with the adjustable knob on the side. If that does not work then I could advise you as this happened to me before. Open the throw off till the snare wires are not touching the head. Slacken off the snares with knob all the way then undo where the strings go in and pull on them till the snares are hanging by about a 1/2 inch and tighten. Now turn throw off on and turn knob till you like the sound of the snares and then hit your tom. Hope this helps if not then try other ways.

User Info Menu

Buzz is normal - with my snares with the way I tune, my 10" tom tends to make my snares buzz a bit. Having said that, think about this buzz in the context of drumming for a song. At any given point you are:

a.) hitting the snare
    b.) kicking the bass drum
    c.) Hitting a crash cymbal
    d.) hitting hats or ride
    e.) hitting other toms

In the context of drumming, that little bit of sympathetic snare buzz caused by the sympathetic vibration of your snare side head in relation to the pitch of the tom causing it, isn't really going to matter unless by chance you are playing a really exposed, open ballad. Then it might matter, but for me, it's just not something I even think about or worry about, and most of the time I don't even notice it.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator42009 View Post
    It actually sounds quite cool playing a tom solo with a little buzz one each hit, although in most cases its something annoying you'll have to deal with unless you find a good combination of things to fix it.
    I agree. It was annoying at first, but WHEN I can hear it over the drums it kinda lends to the sound.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaaidn View Post
    Hey guys, another possibly pointless question.

Basically I bought a set of Evans E-Rings yesterday and put them on my kit so that I could remove my silencers without my kit sounding awful. Anyway, so my Low tom and my floor tom make my snares rattle like a snake D:

I've tried re-tuning both of my toms AND my snare, I've loosened tension on my reso head and i've changed tension on my snare wires.

What else can I possibly do?

Thanks,

Aiden.
    I had this problem. Take the throw-off off then loosen the butt plate that holds the snares and tighten that but not too tight, that you can't put the snares back on with the throw-off. If that doesn't help, you have to either tune up or tune down the tom that's creating the buzzing. I would start with the highest pitched one.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Overtones making snare rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo Rose View Post
    I had this problem. Take the throw-off off then loosen the butt plate that holds the snares and tighten that but not too tight, that you can't put the snares back on with the throw-off. If that doesn't help, you have to either tune up or tune down the tom that's creating the buzzing. I would start with the highest pitched one.
    That is exactly what I said in my earlier response.

User Info Menu

I had the same problem. I talked to Evans and they make a custom Pro snare wires and I went to Guitar center and got a 20 wire and brass 24 wire. It comes with a Hazy 300 head for 20 wire 20.99 or 24 wire 23.99 including head. I put on the 20 wire and what a difference. My 24 wire is on order. The pro metal parts are curved so only the middle of the wires hit. Try that. also a little moon jel helps.