Thread: TD-4K2 vs ALESIS DM10 Studio

User Info Menu

Exclamation TD-4K2 vs ALESIS DM10 Studio

Okay. So I recently moved to college. I'm in the dorms and I've never used E-Kits other than at the music store, etc. I am not so much concerned about space, considering the DM10 is a 6 piece kit. But I've read that the pads on the TD are far better than the DM10.

I just have a couple questions because I'm basically an E-Kit noob.

1- I know that the DM10 is very MIDI friendly because it can go straight to my computer via usb. I know that the TD cannot do midi unless i get (this is where im a little confused) an Alesis/Trigger IO, and an audio interface.. correct?
    If so, for this reason I would rather get a DM10 because all the pads are dual zone, unlike the TD-4K2 (not to be confused with the TD-4KX2) So what all gear would be required for the Roland to be MIDI compatible (If i am wrong)

2- Can you put any kind of drum head onto a DM10?

The saddest thing about the whole thing is that I had to sell my Gretsch kit w/Ludwig Black Magic snare for the electric... very sad..

User Info Menu

Default Re: TD-4K2 vs ALESIS DM10 Studio

1) The TD-4 module has MIDI out. You can plug it straight into your computer and use whatever drumming software you'd like. The Alesis Trigger IO is so that you can use MIDI without having a drum module. So basically your pads would only work when plugged into the computer.

2) That's what they say. Different heads won't do much, though. The feel of the pads are altered by the triggering mechanism underneath the head. So don't expect your Evans G2 (or whatever) to feel exactly like it did on your Gretsch kit. Also, those suckers are LOUD not matter which head you use. Your room mate is going to hate you. I think there are some tutorials out there though on how to convert the pads to use mesh, making them much quieter.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Default Re: TD-4K2 vs ALESIS DM10 Studio

Go with the rolands.