Thread: Mapex Pro M

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Pro M

Hey everyone,
    I was wondering what you guys think about mapex pro M drums as in comparison to the catalina maple by gretsch. Does it sound better or of better quality than the catalina maple.

User Info Menu

There are a few forums already in this thread area.... Have a look under the mapex pro m.... or catalina. They will both give something about what your after.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

they are about the same quality imo. however i think the catalina sound a bit better.

User Info Menu

i purchased a pro m about 3 months ago and love it. i havent heard the gretch but the mapex has a very warm sound, i got the 20 x 22 bass drum and this thing sounds like a cannon. everythin is of very good quality. hope this helps

User Info Menu

I tihnk i have played that bass drum before. I personaly think its too boomy..... It heads too much to an extreme and isnt controlled well.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Drum1895, please tell me that you will have an opportunity to get to a large music store and listen to some different drums - hopefully a Gretsch Catalina maple set and the Mapex Pro M set. It's the only way that you will ever know for sure that you are making the right decision for yourself.

We all have our opinions, and we all have different ears, which means that each of us likes what we like. You have to make sure that you find the set that appeals to your ears, and to you eyes. That is different for us all. I love to see the wood grain of the drums, while others love a good sparkle finish. All this is what keeps the different drum manufacturers in business.

Good luck finding your perfect set, and enjoy the experience of checking the different sets!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think Mapex were giving away a free BP snare with Pro M kits recently. This might sway your opinion a bit. They are both pretty similar, so the extra free snare with the Mapex would push me in that direction...
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Post Pro M's

I went to a drumshop and sat down and looked at both sets. The unfortunate thing was both drums had stock heads on them. The pro M comes with some alright Remo heads. I thought both the gretsch and mapex sounded pretty good with the stock heads but I know that both will sound really good with the addition of new heads, I would purchase when I buy a new set. There was a sound difference alittle sound difference between the two. I liked them both. The hardware on each seem pretty good. As it stands now I have made my decision and I am getting a mapex Pro M crossover configuration with the new red wood fade laquer. I think this color looks very nice.
    One other thing, besides the fact of the black panther snare which is pretty rocking, is the configuration has a virgin bass drum which I personally hate thing mounted on my bass drum. It has been something that has bothered when I am playing my old drumset. I have this thing that holes in the bass drum affect the sound. In some sort of way in it does. When I get the new mapex drumset I am going to use the stands, but not the bass drum pedal because a couple of weeks ago I got a pearl eliminator which is really nice. When I get those bad boy, I will set it up and take some pictures and post them.
    I want to thank you guys for your input, it is appreciated. Now it is waiting time to get those drums in!!!
    Sorry funkymcstain, I liked the catalina maple, but I like the features of the mapex pro M along with the color!

User Info Menu

Hm sometimes the colours throw opinions around. I know ya shouldnt choose it coz of the colour. But how can ya resist!!!! :>

I think with stock heads your looking more at the pitch and resonance of the drum so no matter what skins you have they should stay relative....... That doesnt explain it well but i know what i mean :P

Eliminators rock i cant wait for mine :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Mapex are good drums I have my own, and the sound is great i wil choose the mapex....but it's your ear not ours..........

User Info Menu

Look at my new Mapex if you want to see how beautiful they are, and take it from me they sound great!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Mapex are good drums I have my own, and the sound is great i wil choose the mapex....but it's your ear not ours..........
    Stick, welcome to the Drum Chat! BTW, why Stick and not Sticks? Just wondering.

Well, D1895, as you can see, Funky and I would go for the Gretsch Catalina, while Stick and Ethel The Frog would go for the Mapex Pro M. You couldn't have gone wrong either way!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

With the brands everyone says. I dont think anyone here could by the wrong kit ey.

Our standards are all high all i have heard is dont buy a pearl tourer.... I think it was.

Congrats every1 :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

nothing wrong with that decision. i would never say the mapex are anything but great. i have a pro m snare on my student kit. the black panther and free tom make that mapex deal pretty hard to pass up. having tuned both kits with coated ambs and ps3 on the kicks, the thing that swayed me was the sound that gretches rounded bearing edges gave the kick and floor. just beautiful for a drum in that price range.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum1895 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering what you guys think about mapex pro M drums as in comparison to the catalina maple by gretsch. Does it sound better or of better quality than the catalina maple.

man that isa tough one, they are both excellant kits, I tink it will honestly boil down to your personnel preferance.