Thread: Zoom H4N

User Info Menu

Default Zoom H4N

The Zoom H4N if I'm understanding this right has the ability to accommodate two external mics. Does this mean you can connect a kick mic and an overhead mic for drum set recordings? Will the built in mics record simultaneously with the two external mics or can they be turned off while using to external mics?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zoom H4N

Russ has one, he should be able to tell you.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I have the older Zoom H4 recorder and it does accomodate two external mics. However, when using the external, you have to switch off the internal mics. I'm not sure how the H4n is setup though.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

It's my understanding that the Zooms are excellent alternatives to multiple recording components. I came this close to buying one but discovered that although the unit is self contained there were expensive x tras needed to tweak things on the computer. Guess I'm just using this thread to get a sense of it's practicality.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    It's my understanding that the Zooms are excellent alternatives to multiple recording components. I came this close to buying one but discovered that although the unit is self contained there were expensive x tras needed to tweak things on the computer. Guess I'm just using this thread to get a sense of it's practicality.

What kind of "extras" for the computer are you talking about? I have the Zoom H4 and haven't had to buy anything extra for my computer. I've made some surprisingly decent recordings with this unit.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

I have the zoom h4n, ask anything you would like. Yes, it does have slots to accept any microphone supported by xlr input, and a 1/4" but I don't have any 1/4" cables to test on it. It has internal condensers already set up, so it would be a smart move to use those two slots for kick and snare, imo. The h4n differs from the original h4 in an easier to use interface, or so they claim. I've had no problems with it so far, and like using it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

as for the x tras...something about depending on what operating system you were using. I explained that I had Audacity and Windows 98 ( now I have Windows 7 ) and was told I needed a special software for it to work....anyway...since I got you...The sound card on my computer has 1/8 inch inputs and each one is a different color. Do they have XLR to 1/8 adapters AND which colors do I hook to ?
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I have the zoom h4n, ask anything you would like. Yes, it does have slots to accept any microphone supported by xlr input, and a 1/4" but I don't have any 1/4" cables to test on it. It has internal condensers already set up, so it would be a smart move to use those two slots for kick and snare, imo. The h4n differs from the original h4 in an easier to use interface, or so they claim. I've had no problems with it so far, and like using it.
    If the snare and kick are mic'd up, will the built in mics record simultaneously? If so where would be a good spot to position the unit itself?

User Info Menu

You can only use one or the other. Id go with a kick drum mic and a good dynamic mic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    as for the x tras...something about depending on what operating system you were using. I explained that I had Audacity and Windows 98 ( now I have Windows 7 ) and was told I needed a special software for it to work....anyway...since I got you...The sound card on my computer has 1/8 inch inputs and each one is a different color. Do they have XLR to 1/8 adapters AND which colors do I hook to ?
    I looked at some ads for the H4n and it too comes bundled with Cubase LE 4 software. This is what came with my H4 unit. Also, I've used Audacity and Nero with my H4, so you don't have to use "special" software in order for it to work.

In regards to the 1/8" adapters, the unit comes with a USB cable that is used to connect to your computer. You don't need to go through your sound card.
    "it is what it is"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    If the snare and kick are mic'd up, will the built in mics record simultaneously? If so where would be a good spot to position the unit itself?
    I actually used this in conjunction with a live mixer, I used it to record 16 other microphones(this was before I had a recording interface to do things right). I guess if you count the h4n's internal's it's 18 and I used everything, but it's not something that would normally be possible because it bypasses it. As for positioning, I had my 2 large overheads on the far left and right ends of the kit, and put the h4n in between but farther away.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the information.

User Info Menu

I'm good, too. Thanks