Thread: Changing Grip Technique After Years Of With Poor Grip?

User Info Menu

Default Changing Grip Technique After Years Of With Poor Grip?

Finally, today, after returning to the drums 2 1/2 years ago and after asking multiple people as to why progress was not being made and my lack of ability to play rudiments at any speed, it was pointed out that I had / have a poor grip technique.

Why is the blinding obvious always so hard to see? Makes total sense now!

A copy of Tommy Igoe's 'Great Hands For A Lifetime' is enroute to me and I will also be returning to the teacher how knew right off the bat where the fault lay.

Has anyone else here been through this and had to break their bad grip habit after many years of playing?

I first picked up the sticks 35 years ago, so I know this won't be easy, so any encouragement, tips, thoughts or feedback from those that have gone through this before, will be most welcome!
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

Default Re: Changing Grip Technique After Years Of With Poor Grip?

Cuban, although I didn't have the experience under my belt that you have, I too have had to go back and correct a grip fault so that I could move forward. In some ways, I felt like such a newbie again after 3 1/2 years of playing with a grip fault. I just didn't get the proper instruction early on, and so I adopted what I thought was the proper grip. There are still times that I have to check myself, because the old grip still feels more comfortable, but I am sure that little by little, the old grip is fading. Because I am such a visual guy, I might consider Tommy Igoe's video too, just to cement the proper grip in my head. Thanks for that bit of info.

Hang in there, because it will definitely feel weird at first. When you begin to see the difference that it makes in your sticking, it will drive you to see it through.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I know my grip is poor. I should look into this video as well.

User Info Menu

Grip of a stick is an interesting thing because although fundamentally I know "correct" grip technique (well, at least correct in terms of rudimental snare technique as taught to me by my snare drumming co-workers at the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps) I don't really do that unless I'm playing rudiments.

When I'm playing kit I change a couple of different things. First, I hold the stick clear back by the butt end rather than 2/3rds back at the balance point like I would if I was doing rudimental snare, and depending on the sound I want in the context of what I'm playing, sometimes I have my thumb on top, sometimes I'm doing it "correctly" and sometimes I'm just using my thumb and first finger as a fulcrum while I'm controlling bounce with my fingertips while playing the ride.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

my right hand grip is great, for some reason though, my left hand grip is horrible. So I just try and match my left hand with my right hand and do the basic rudiments very slowly, like as if I had just started off, and when ever I feel myself changing the grip, I stop, correct it and start again. With my left hand almost all my power comes from my forearm, while most of it should be coming from a combination of wrist and forearm, as well as fingers.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

I like you started playing drums again after 30 year absence but I still have no problem with the hand grips. The reason is probably cause when I was younger I played drums in a military marching band where you used the old traditional grip on the left hand. Once I got into the rock and roll playing then I went to the match stick grip which was tricky at first. Now I play both ways depending on how much of the snare rebound I need. To me it is like riding a bicycle you never forget it. Wrist action and finger is the key to good drum playing IMO.

User Info Menu

I typically do blast beats I'm not sure if this is relevant to your play style but you should look into flying fingers its pretty legit for any snare work and its a very easy hand position for doubling/rolls.

User Info Menu

After watching baseball all summer, I came to realize that stick grip is not too far removed from pitching mechanics or batting stances/swings. Many people have had success and taken different routes to get there. When you run into trouble, then some adjustments are necessary.

------------

I was very impressed watching another player who took lessons from the same teacher I used to study and work for. He invited me to come and sit behind his kit, and I was amazed at how cramped it felt compared to mine. Oddly, we are both short, lean guys- 5'7"ish with a small build.

When I watched him play again after the break, it hit me that nearly all of his playing came from the wrists.

My poor technique at first required a lot of shoulder movement to simply reach some cymbals. When my shoulder seized up, the ride had to drop and now it's offset toms or a four piece for me. I rested my shoulders but now my elbows ended up being more involved, I noticed.

So, now it's time to practice editing out unnecessary motion once more. A lot of time with a pillow and rudiments while watching TV for me...
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Cuban, I would bet that the change will be easier than you expect, especially once you see the progress you will make.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post
    Cuban, I would bet that the change will be easier than you expect, especially once you see the progress you will make.
    Thanks for all the replies folks.

It has been easier (this far) than I thought and while I still can't guage how long it might take me to achieve the speed I am aiming for, some progress has been made.

I've played about 14 shows since and have not yet dropped a stick (as I felt I would) as I move between the old and new grip.

I'll keep plugging away and will keep you posted.

Thanks again.
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT