Thread: Using 2 interfaces

User Info Menu

Default Using 2 interfaces

I have a Powerbook G4 and Audacity and GarageBand. I want to record using 4 XLR cables that will plug into 2 usb interfaces (each interface having 2 xlr inputs), and then route both interfaces into my computer. Would this work? And will someone explain what the differance is between a fixed boom stand a regular one is? Is it's height fixed or its length of the arm fixed?

Oh yah and I almost forgot, can I plug the XLR end of a cable into a mic, and the TRS 1/4 end into the interface? Using that type of cord of course.. Would it effect anything or make anything weird?
    Thanks yous!
    Last edited by DrumRookie; 08-26-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Using 2 interfaces

Yes you can do this, if you are able to daisy chain the 2 interfaces you are using. This means they both need to have 2 firewire ports.

You might be better off using 1 interface and a small mixer because most small mixers cannot be daisy chained.

You cannot do simultaneous multi-tracking through audacity or garageband so 1 mixer and 1 interface will allow you to sub mix your kit.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Oh yah and I almost forgot, can I plug the XLR end of a cable into a mic, and the TRS 1/4 end into the interface? Using that type of cord of course.. Would it effect anything or make anything weird?
    Thanks yous!
    Yes you can. It won't pick up sound as well so youll have to boost the volume on that channel some more.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Thanks Zeta! How about splitters? do they work well? And thanks for informative post, I had another question though: How much quality is lost with using the TRS 1/4 to XLR cables?

Like, I dunno, on a scale of 1 to 10 using the standard XLR cable as the comparison or something.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Thanks Zeta! How about splitters? do they work well? And thanks for informative post, I had another question though: How much quality is lost with using the TRS 1/4 to XLR cables?

Like, I dunno, on a scale of 1 to 10 using the standard XLR cable as the comparison or something.
    I have had to use an xlr to ts 1/4 for a vocal mic once before. They are just different cables, but it shouldnt be anything noticeable unless you were running a full studio. Its mostly a volume loss from what i noticed. You cannot use one of these cable to power a condenser mic though. phantom power will not go through a 1/4 cable.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Thanks Zeta! I'm not planning on using condenser mics, because the interface I'm going to choose probably won't have phantom power. I can only afford dynamics right now. Thanks for the tips!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

There are phantom power devices you can pick up, but most recording interfaces feature phantom power on most to all of their mic in's.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks Zeta! I'm not planning on using condenser mics, because the interface I'm going to choose probably won't have phantom power. I can only afford dynamics right now. Thanks for the tips!
    This is why I suggest doing a 1 interface with a submix for your setup. If you get an interface and a mixer like the PV6, you will have phantom power and the ability to do more mics. You can get condensers for pretty cheap, they dont typically cost more than dynamics for equal qualities.

What is your budget? and what are you trying to do? and what do you already have?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: HELP: Mic and interface questions

I'm trying to record a drum kit in my basement, and I will be doing it with 4 mics (as long as it sounds at least 70 percent better than my internal mic in my powerbook G4). The mic's of my choice are the following:

2 overheads: Cobalt Co4 (will buy 1 extra boom stand and 2 XLR to TRS 1/4 cables $47)
    Bass drum mic: Nady SP-1 (bundled with boom stand and XLR cable) $20-25
    Snare mic: Nady SP-1 (bundled with boom stand and XLR cable, but will use snare mic clip) $20-25
    Snare mic clip $15
    Interface will probably be an Alesis iO2 USB Interface. $60-70

Using Audacity and Garageband as my choice of software.

I'll be upgrading probably a year or two after I get these.
    But I might upgrade the mic's before that time.

I think the interface has phantom power, so if you see any mic's better than what I listed here that are condensers, or just better in general for the price, let me know!

EDIT** Oh yeah, and I remember that Zeta said that XLR to 1/4 would not work for the condenser mics. So keep it limited to just 2 condenser (either it me for the kick and snare, or just for the overheads) mics that you recommend.
    Thanks!

What about Behringer C2's?
    Last edited by DrumRookie; 09-04-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Bump

I really would like some input on the above comment :P
    Thanks!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-