Thread: staining a drum

User Info Menu

Default staining a drum

hi all
    i have a sonor force 507 kit in a black wrap that i want to stain. how do i

succesfuly take the wrap and the glue off? how would i stain the drums?

what do i need? if anybody can show me a website that will show me step by

step instructions on exactly what to do that will be great to.

do i need experience staining drums to do this? i was thinking a natural

burst

the kit is basswood if that helps? i also want to see the wood patterns thru the

stain if its possible.

thanks in advance

User Info Menu

Default Re: staining a drum

I'm not sure what the name of the member is, but someone on here produced his own kit and did his own fade stain/lacquer. Look through the topics in the above sections ^^ sure you'll find it. His display picture is the top of one of his purple to black Gonzo 'branded' drum. His kit, is fantastic and completely stunning.

Hope that topic helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaaidn View Post
    I'm not sure what the name of the member is, but someone on here produced his own kit and did his own fade stain/lacquer. Look through the topics in the above sections ^^ sure you'll find it. His display picture is the top of one of his purple to black Gonzo 'branded' drum. His kit, is fantastic and completely stunning.

Hope that topic helps.
    I think this is the thread.......

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...8.html?t=19818

User Info Menu

Yes, but he has a shop to do this in. That's why they look professional. Come time to put a gloss on, you'll need an airbrush or you simply won't get that look. You should consider dying the drums instead of staining if you don't have a shop. You will also have to sand the shells down with first some medium to fine grit sand paper, then to fine grit. After that, you can stain or dye your drums, whatever you prefer. I just got better results with dyes.

I don't know what kind of burst you are doing, but this is yet another way dyes are better off. They blend nicely. Start with your background, obviously. Slowly blend in a darker color towards the middle. If you are doing a lighter color in the middle, you won't follow this process. So hopefully you aren't doing that... Haha. If you don't have an airbrush, consider buying an entry level one or finding somebody who does. When I got my first kit painted, it was by a friend of mine who owns a chain of bodyshops around Chicago. The gloss looked done right.

Oh and if you screw up, all it takes is a lot of sanding to start from scratch. Just keep in mind, you're taking away from the wood on the shell. It'll be thinner. Good luck!
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9