Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Neil Peart

User Info Menu

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    Can you believe this kid in my class was saying that he can't play drums that a baby could play so I took him down to band have him some sticks then promptly called him an idiot and he's worse than a baby
    A lot of people think that playing the drums is easy. That's why the drummer in a band is the least appreciated talent wise, well, after the bass player, by the uninformed audience. You just hit sh#t, right? Up until they sit behind a kit, or try to strum a bass guitar.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Peart's debut:

Vintage Rush. How could you not like that. Even back then, you knew a change in the engine room was going to make something that would rock for years and years to come.

Got to love the single head toms Neil's rocking on that set. Almost as spectacular as the bell bottomed high waist-band trousers his bandmates wear, Alex's Prince Valiant haircut and the stage set they're all playing on.....full on 70's....gotta love it!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-06-2013 at 03:04 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

My wife and I just watched that Fly By Night video and were saying to each other, how much more popular could RUSH have been if they actually had a good looking lead singer.

User Info Menu

Just saw Rush last night here in Ottawa,Canada.Awesome show!!
    Neil makes it look so easy it pisses me off

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    Just saw Rush last night here in Ottawa,Canada.Awesome show!!
    Neil makes it look so easy it pisses me off
    I was there too. So you are the guy that was drooling all over Neil's kit LOL. Great show as allways with Rush. She was a muggy one though but worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Vintage Rush. How could you not like that. Even back then, you knew a change in the engine room was going to make something that would rock for years and years to come.

Got to love the single head toms Neil's rocking on that set. Almost as spectacular as the bell bottomed high waist-band trousers his bandmates wear, Alex's Prince Valiant haircut and the stage set they're all playing on.....full on 70's....gotta love it!
    thanks drmbldr, somehow i never caught this vid. awesome, definitely something other for its time, and still.

Prince Valiant, lol i was thinking Prince Valium from Spaceballs! also, i thought it worth mentioning Peart's formidable mullet.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

So it's Neil Peart's 61st today!

Happy birthday, Pratt!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

^ Indeed it is! Happy Birthday Mr Peart!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Please don't wish him a happy birthday - all this attention is giving him anxiety!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    My wife and I just watched that Fly By Night video and were saying to each other, how much more popular could RUSH have been if they actually had a good looking lead singer.
    I'll answer that one. No more popular. Talent is more important than looks each and every day of the week.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I'll answer that one. No more popular. Talent is more important than looks each and every day of the week.
    Well said NPPYYZ

Larrysperf Guest

It has all been said about him so NUFF SAID anyone that says hes not that good don't know

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    Or how about if the lead singer didn't sound like a castrated sea-gull!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I just picked up the new Clockwork Angels bluray DVD. I'm amazed at how perfect Neil still plays. The entire band sounds as great as ever. 3 drum solos on this DVD , 2 on the kit and 1 one the toy e- kit. Still my favorite drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Or how about if the lead singer didn't sound like a castrated sea-gull!

all the best...
    He may sound like one but a successful one. Without him Rush would not be Rush.

User Info Menu

Most good vocalist have big beaks from what I've noticed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    and big lips

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    and big lips
    If that's the case, I should be the best singer on the planet! Problem is, when I open my mouth to sing, small children cry and animals come running out of the forest.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    If that's the case, I should be the best singer on the planet! Problem is, when I open my mouth to sing, small children cry and animals come running out of the forest.
    Maybe your nose and lips are too big lol Cross between Mick Jagger and Geddy Lee now that would scare anything.

User Info Menu

The drum solo I will always remember by Neil Peart was the one he did when I went to see them in 1978, the Tour of the Hemispheres concert. Mind blowing, and I have never heard him do a solo like it since. From that concert on I was convinced he was the best technical rock drummer in the world. Nobody came close, not even Palmer.

I went to see Rush again on the Moving Pictures Tour, again a great solo but not as good as the Hemispheres solo.

Peart wrote the blueprint for a new generation of "extreme" drummers. Peart was inspired by Buddy Rich and Bill Bruford, but he's different. Drummers today are so much better than they ever were in history.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    As you may have noticed by my forum name, I'm a huge Neil Peart fan. Because of my long time fan-dome of Neil, my drumming style is very similar to his, after all I've been a fan of his for 37 years so something was bound to come across in my playing.

Last week I picked up the new Rush Time Machine DVD. One thing I have noticed in recent years. Neil's drum solo's have become boring as hell. Ever since he started incorporating his e-kit into his solo they have gone down hill. I'll take the solo's from "All The World's A Stage" , "Exit Stage Left" - his best, and "A Show Of Hands" over the recent boring rhythmic experimental solo's any day. Also enough of the big band crap, it's not his style and he looks uncomfortable trying to play it. Neil is one of the best Prog Rock drummers in the world, he should dance with who brought him. I blame Freddie Gruber. Before him Neil's playing was inventive and raw, yet defined and controlled. After Freddie it seem Neil was no longer willing to take those chances he did before.

If you want to hear the real Neil Peart at his best, sometime when you are alone with no distractions, put on disc 3 from Different Stages Live at the Hammersmith 1978. Sit back and listen, mind blowing. Outstanding Drumming performance.
    AGREED!!! I have been a Peart enthusiast for over 30 years also and have literally studied his every move behind the kit. While his solos have declined as far as expanding past playing safe, any Peart fan must admire reliability and accuracy for long sustain.
    Honestly besides "Gruber" I really believe Neil's age at 61 has to be playing a role in his performance. I can only hope to have his drive and enthusiasm at his age.
    Regardless he has def set the bar extremely high for thousands of drummers world wide!!!

User Info Menu

do you think these guys get paid well?

Last edited by slinky; 09-18-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I've been on stage with Neil and a personal tour of his kit. Great memory! He's a nice guy.

User Info Menu

Pics or it did't happen Drummer . I know if it was me I would of taken a lot of pics and at least one with Neil with me to show it off here on DC.