Thread: DIY E drums 3 Rack toms finished

User Info Menu

Default DIY E drums 3 Rack toms finished

This past weekend I finished my 3 Rack tom's. The PDP mini timbales have turned out to be the ideal shells. I've included a picture of the adjustable riser (post paint) I'm building to hold the cone and sensor. A well placed metal disk leaves a bare spot on the center plate for maximum adhesion of the cone adhesive. These drums are turning out far better than I imagined. For the Rack toms I'm using the Pearl mesh heads. I'm finding these and the pintech head on my snare have a better feel than the stock Roland heads. Almost real but not too springy. The Roland heads seem hard by comparison although I am using 2 10" Roland heads for my 2 Kicks. I've got my build process down to about 90 minutes per drum. The black felt disk floating just under the head in all the drums leaves a clean finished look through the opaque heads. Last picture is an under shot of the snare and can see all the components mounted. Another week or two and I'll have the 2 Floor toms and Bass drums done.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DIY E drums 3 Rack toms finished

Lookin great Timm! I never woulda thought to use those pdp timbales for a project, very creative.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: DIY E drums 3 Rack toms finished

Those look rad! Congrats on the accomplishment!! Do you have a vid of you playing it?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos