Thread: Recommendations...

User Info Menu

Default Recommendations...

Im on an extremely low budget because I dont want to spend much on cymbals yet. I just bought a drum kit and it came with the thick cymbals that resemble gongs in sound quality. So these are on craigslist now lol. I dont know what to look for because Ive been out of it so long. Im looking for a very light soft sound for a crash and hats. I dont like the long decay style cymbals but I like the brighter higher pitched sounds. Of course Im a fan of zildjian A's and some of th big dollar paistes but Im not paying that. In fact I wouldnt even mind buying used stuff. So all that being said, what would you guys recommend looking for online. And Im a fan of ebay so Im not affriad to buy used from there. Its just the only thing I know about is the big 3 companies (zildjian, sabian, pasite). I see a lot of other brands and dont trust them. So if you have a low pricetag set of cymbals Im open to suggestions. Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

ddrumbum's turned a lot of people to the Wuhan S series, which could be an option for you.

There's the Paiste Alphas and the Avedis Zildjian range, which may not break the bank as far as used goes.

Also, Sabian has the 2002's and you could probably pick up some new XS20's for cheaper than most of the bigger brands are used.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

i would go with ebay myself. i would rather buy a used used pro cymbal than a new bad one.

User Info Menu

paiste alphas..stay away from wuhan if u want any resale value..

User Info Menu

like alpha is gonna have resale value?

User Info Menu

moreso than wuhans..if u want resale value..go for K's..or paiste Sig's

User Info Menu

What do you guys think of the B8 kits? The 13" hats and their 14/16" thin crashes sounded exactly like what I want. The sound clips on sabians website sounds like what Im after but its hard to trust a sound clip on some website!

And for the record, I WILL HAVE A WUHAN CHINA! Some of those are just plain delicious. If I were a rich man Id buy one of the O-Zone splashes or chinas. They sounded very high and crisp but they are new models so.....$$$$$.

User Info Menu

I have B8s they are bright sounding, the hi-hats and crash sound pretty decent, the crash is a little too bright for my taste, I'm planning on upgrading that, but it might be the sound you're looking for. I don't regret my B-8 purchase to get me started. I do think I'll be upgrading them but they are servicable, and a good deal for the price.

User Info Menu

B8's...*cough* eww *cough*

User Info Menu

Those B8's are overrated. Everyone asks about them at first because of their cheap package sales, but trust the reviews, they aren't so nice.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I did buy the B8s as a beginner because of the package price, they are a step up from the trash can lids that come with most beginners sets. If you're on a really tight budget, they will get you started. You probably will want to upgrade them at some point in the future if you go that route. You might check out the used market and see what's available in your area also.

User Info Menu

Everyone all over says avoid B8's but nobody ever gives real reasons. Even now I hear people yelling dont do it but they cant explain why other cymbals are better. There are a lot of professional drummers using the B8 hit hats still to this day. Mostly I hear they are good for recording studios and mics. For $140-150 on ebay you can get a set of new B8 hats, crash and ride. Even buying used stuff you arent going to find deals like that.

What am I supposed to buy thats so superior to the B8 series that doesnt cost more than my entire drum kit? Ive already stated I will be buying used stuff online so if you guys think theres something so much better Id like some recommendations. But Im not gonna spend $150 for a set of used hats for some fancy Zildjian just because they cost more retail.

User Info Menu

b8pro = high pitch CLANG!!! as opposed to hhx = sweet shimmering explosion of musical sound. worth the extra cash if you ask me.
    look, if you are on a real budget the b8s will do. they are something to hit and do sound better than beginer cymbals of 20 years ago, but you will not find any true pro or studio drummer with b8 cymbals. they are not good in studios and that is why they are so much cheaper than the higher end cast models. as you grow as a drummer you will learn the difference in sound. i have more money in my cymbals than i do in my drums, (most experienced drummers do) the reason is apparent everytime i play with other bands with cheap cymbals (weekly).

User Info Menu

ud be better of with wuhans than B8's..b8's have that ugly ugly thick lathing on them..and they feel thin and cheap almost like plastic..save up and buy high quality stuff piece by piece..theres some good ebay deals.

User Info Menu

Um, I've got a B8 Splash that I actually am very fond of. It has just the right sound. Not sure about the rest of their stuff although I have a mixed bag to begin with (see sig). I went and listened to each cymbal before I bought - except the two vintage rides I have - I bought them from my drum teacher way WAY back in the day and HE hand picked them from the Zildjian factory.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Wuhans for the price, they sound great for the money you spend, they are pretty much worth nothing to the open market after you purchase them, but if you want a cheap good sounding cymbals Wuhan S Series are the way to go. Otherwise save your money and buy Zildjian A or K Customs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo6
    Everyone all over says avoid B8's but nobody ever gives real reasons. Even now I hear people yelling dont do it but they cant explain why other cymbals are better. There are a lot of professional drummers using the B8 hit hats still to this day. Mostly I hear they are good for recording studios and mics. For $140-150 on ebay you can get a set of new B8 hats, crash and ride. Even buying used stuff you arent going to find deals like that.

What am I supposed to buy thats so superior to the B8 series that doesnt cost more than my entire drum kit? Ive already stated I will be buying used stuff online so if you guys think theres something so much better Id like some recommendations. But Im not gonna spend $150 for a set of used hats for some fancy Zildjian just because they cost more retail.
    Turbo, I wouldn't say don't buy B8s because I did. I'm not totally dissapointed with my decision, but I realized at the time I bought them that as my drumming improved and I had more of an idea what I wanted out of my cymbal sound that I would probably want something different later.
    Personally my advice if you're on a tight budget buy the best cymbal you can afford now, and start playing. If the best you can afford is B8s or if you can (afford a little more the B8 pro) so be it. The crash that came with my pack is decent sounding, the Hi hats are OK, but they don't sound as good as the Zildian new beats we have at church. The Ride (not the crash as I said in my previous post) is too bright and washey for my taste and will be the first cymbal I replace. The splash that came with the pack actually sounds pretty decent. I would try to go to a store and audition the cymbals in my price range (new and used) and pick the ones that I liked best. My only caution is don't buy the B-8s thinking that you'll want to play them forever. I would say get them or a comparable set in that price range, and upgrade them one at a time as you can afford to. I would have loved to have started out with a set of Zildian K darks, but it just wasn't in my price range, the B-8s were. I'm sure most of the more advanced drummers on here aren't still playing on their first set of cymbals, and have upgraded and added on to their cymbal set many times. The B-8s or a similar priced set will get you started.

User Info Menu

I think Ive decided to just go ahead and piece together a setup. I already know exactly what sound characteristics I want all around. I used to drum a lot back in school, I was in a couple different bands. But Ive just been out of the game so long that all these newer models and brands were new to me. The only thing that I really liked about the B8's was their 13" hihats. They had a brighter sound than most cymbals in that price range. Im gonna have to get some video clips of what Im using now and post it. Its rather funny how awful the ride and crash are heh. The hats arent too bad.

As far as Whuan S's go, what kind of sound would a 16" crash get me? Ive always liked their chinas but never touched anything else. Are the S cymbals going to have a shorter or longer decay and are they fairly bright? The best sounding hats and crashes are probably the A customs IMO, but thats just what Ive heard in person. I certainly cant afford that on my budget.
    Last edited by Turbo6; 06-22-2007 at 09:45 AM.

User Info Menu

ebay and the guitar center used pile are good ways to piece together a good set of used cymbals.