Thread: Bill Kreutzmann

User Info Menu

Default Bill Kreutzmann

Drummer: Bill Kreutzmann
    Drumming Style: Rock & Roll/ Psychedelic/ Folk
    Band: Grateful Dead
    Brief Description: Bill Kreutzmann was a founding member of the Grateful Dead and played with the band for its entire 30 years, playing over 3500 shows with the band. The Grateful Dead was one of the first and few rock and roll bands to feature 2 drummers, Bill and Mickey Hart had an uncanny rhythmic chemistry, which earned them the nickname "rhythm devils". Their complex syncopated rhythms and intense dynamics provided the driving force for the bands psychedelic jams. Their lengthy drum solos became a standard at every show.

Other Fun Facts: Bill Kreutzmann was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award for his work with the Grateful Dead.
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bill Kreutzmann

I saw the Dead back in the '80s at the San Francisco Civic for one of their famous New Years Eve shows. As a custom for this event, the special guest was kept secret until the doors were opened and on that night, the guest was "The Band" with Levon Helm. Bill Graham came out dressed as Father Time in a Toga and was floated around the arena on a lighting bolt while he waved at the crowd. After the show was over, they fed us "breakfeast" which was a sandwich, a cookie, and an apple all in a brown paper bag. They must of handed out hundreds of bag lunches to everyone in the audience as we filed out of the door and on to the streets of San Francisco. What a great way to ring in the New Year!!! I'll never forget my first Dead show. Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart are a pair of amazing drummers! Their chops are hypnotising....
    Last edited by late8; 08-31-2011 at 04:01 PM.

User Info Menu

you lucky dog late,i believe that was the closing of the winterland arena,
    Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart are great together if you listen to early Grateful Dead 69-74 Bill Kreutzmann was the only drummer and man he
    was really good,to improvise with the band on some of there long 10-15 min tunes sounds amazing to me,Grate drummers-the rhythm devils good stuff
    Gretshhead

User Info Menu

Yay!! Deadheads unite!! Jerry's eternal!! What a band!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bubingabill View Post
    Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart are great together if you listen to early Grateful Dead 69-74 Bill Kreutzmann was the only drummer and man he
    was really good,to improvise with the band on some of there long 10-15 min tunes sounds amazing to me,Grate drummers-the rhythm devils good stuff
    Gretshhead
    Winterland closed 78/79 new years actually, Dead closed it out with an 8 hour set! How did they have that kind of endurance? Those drummers were some hard working guys!

Late you're a lucky man to have seen any of their New Years shows! I was unfortunately born a few years too late and never saw them as the Grateful Dead. I have been lucky enough to see the 4 surviving members a handful of times billed as The Dead, including 2 4th of July shows!! Has anyone seen Bill's new project with Papa Mali, 7 Walkers?
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

Gretshhead
    Hey Bill! I never made the closing of Winterland in SF, but the show at the S.F. Civic was a "Once in a Life Time" experience:

Bill Graham as " Father Time" led us in the countdown to midnight pictured below:

Set list- Grateful Dead's New Years Eve Show December 31, 1984, San Francisco Civic

Shakedown Street
    New Minglewood Blues
    Peggy-O
    Jack Straw
    Bird Song
    Hell in a Bucket
    Don't Ease Me In

Sugar Magnolia
    Scarlet Begonias
    Fire on the Mountain
    Man Smart/Woman Smarter
    drums
    Spanish Jam
    The Wheel
    Throwin' Stones
    Turn on Your Love Light

Gimme Some Lovin'
    Uncle John's Band
    Around and Around
    Baby Blue
    Last edited by late8; 08-31-2011 at 03:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Winterland closed 78/79 new years actually, Dead closed it out with an 8 hour set! How did they have that kind of endurance? Those drummers were some hard working guys!

Late you're a lucky man to have seen any of their New Years shows! I was unfortunately born a few years too late and never saw them as the Grateful Dead. I have been lucky enough to see the 4 surviving members a handful of times billed as The Dead, including 2 4th of July shows!! Has anyone seen Bill's new project with Papa Mali, 7 Walkers?
    The only member I was able to see in concert after Jerry's passing was Mickey Hart's "Planet Drum" tour when he came to Sacramento CA. Mickey had a group of African percussionists that performed a group djembe jam that blew my mind!!! Wow!!! I hope Mickey continues the "Planet Drum" concept. I haven't seen any other "versions" of the former Dead members since Mickey's tour in the early '90s.

User Info Menu

I saw the dead in Phili in 1987 first show drove from oregon stood around in the parking lot and managed to get "friendly's" (tickets for about cost no markup) for friday nights show. for saturday we called jerry in his room and got on the guestlist. talk about a great first experience .. oh yah did I mention we also called Kreutzmann in his room.. he said come on up so we did.. what a fantasticly cool dude. Not the first profesional musician I ever met not the last but deffinatly the most memorable story.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Toad View Post
    I saw the dead in Phili in 1987 first show drove from oregon stood around in the parking lot and managed to get "friendly's" (tickets for about cost no markup) for friday nights show. for saturday we called jerry in his room and got on the guestlist. talk about a great first experience .. oh yah did I mention we also called Kreutzmann in his room.. he said come on up so we did.. what a fantasticly cool dude. Not the first profesional musician I ever met not the last but deffinatly the most memorable story.
    Wow!!!! So cool!!! You guys took one long "road trip" man! From Oregon to Philly??? .....and you hung out with Kreutzmann???? That's a great story!

User Info Menu

WOW,Late those pics gave me chills instantly,i grew up in Long Island in the late 70s till 92,ive seen 25 Dead shows with Jerry and 10 without,I really miss Jerry,thank god for sirius radio 24-7 Grateful Dead channel

User Info Menu

Excellent band, great drummer, thanks for posting him!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

WOW,Late those pics gave me chills instantly,i grew up in Long Island in the late 70s till 92,ive seen 25 Dead shows with Jerry and 10 without,I really miss Jerry,thank god for sirius radio 24-7 Grateful Dead channel
    Wow!!! Very dedicated fan. Besides the New Years Eve show, I saw the Dead one more time before Jerry passed which was a show in Sacramento in '91 at Cal Expo:

1991-05-03- Cal Expo, Sacramento CA
    1991-05-04- Cal Expo, Sacramento CA
    1991-05-05- Cal Expo, Sacramento CA

User Info Menu

Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart, what a combination to see live. You are so lucky to have seen The Dead live (was that pun intended? lol)
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Cool! Every now and again, I get into these Grateful Dead trances. Been listening to the ****'s Picks from various years. Right now Vol 10 is in the car. There music just pulls you in, but life seems to fall into its rhythm. I thik the last show I saw was in Vermont in 94. Been to a whole bunch of Buffalo, NY, a 3 day in Philly, 3 day in Orlando (all by myself not knowing ANYBODY!), Shows in Saratoga and Rochester. Great times!!! GREAT DRUMMERS!