Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carl Palmer

User Info Menu

Default Re: Carl Palmer

User Info Menu

Carl Palmer’s 2 ton drum kit:

In 1973, Carl Palmer commissioned British Steel to build the most unique, 2 ton drum kit in the world. After getting turned down by various drum companies, he eventually commissioned British Steel to manufacture the shells.

Shell sizes and hardware:

The shells are custom made from stainless steel. Drum sizes are as follows; 6", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 15" single-headed tom's, and 16" & 18" floor toms (single-headed). 28''x 20'' (Massive) bass-drum (took two people to move it) in combination with a Ludwig Speed king bass drum pedal, Ludwig Super Sensitive Concert Model 14" x 5.5" snare drum, all hoops and rosette lugs were Gretsch, drum heads by Remo.

Cymbals:

Cymbals are all Paiste and include some massive sizes - as Carl puts it, "For volume and projection." Cymbal sizes are; 13" Sound Edge Hi-Hat 2002 in combination with a Ludwig Atlas Hi-Hat stand, 24" China Type 2002, 22" Medium 2002, 22" Crash 2002, 24" Ride 2002, 24" Medium 2002, 17" Seven Sound Set No. 3 FO 602, 7" splash, 2" / 3" / 4" / 5" / 7" Children's Cymbals.

Carl Palmer -
    "My drums are not just a piece of engineering, they're set up anatomically {sic} correct for my body to function the right way behind them. Each drum and cymbal was suspended by a rod that was angled at the exact position I wanted it. I would make a template out of cardboard and take it to the steel manufacturers with my specifications. Every night that I set the drums up they’re in the same position and my technique has gotten really good because I’m familiar with the distances."

Each drum features an ornate engraving of woodland scenes created by jeweler Paul Ravn. Palmer has said he was inspired to engrave his drum kit by engravings he saw on a hunting rifle.

Last edited by late8; 01-09-2019 at 03:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's a clip from the kit:

User Info Menu

Carl Palmer 2016:

User Info Menu

Fantastic drummer with great speed. ELP will always be one of my favourite bands. I had no idea each of his drums on the stainless kit were engraved. Thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Fantastic drummer with great speed. ELP will always be one of my favourite bands. I had no idea each of his drums on the stainless kit were engraved. Thanks for sharing!
    You're welcome Mike!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    After reading his comments about Neil Peart ...
    I didn't read it but I'm guessing you didn't approve.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

After reading his comments about Neil Peart ....
    Due to your comments, I had to go find the Palmer statements and read for myself..........he certainly could have been a bit more respectful of the situation and not made it "about me" so much.
    I also read the statements by Kenny Aronoff and Scott Travis, which I thought were in the correct mode -- good memories and the originality of using the instrument and the lyrics in an innovative and unique fashion.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'd like to apologize. While I still feel some of Carl's comments were inappropriate , rude, disrespectful, even after reading the full article with the questions included on his site , my outburst was that of a grieving life long fan of Mr. Peart. Please feel free to delete it and any quotes of it.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 01-16-2020 at 08:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I'd like to apologize. While I still feel some of Carl's comments were inappropriate , rude, disrespectful, even after reading the full article with the questions included on his site , my outburst was that of a grieving life long fan of Mr. Peart. Please feel free to delete it and any quotes of it.
    Thank you for that and I deleted the main part of your comments. All is good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Thank you for that and I deleted the main part of your comments. All is good.
    I C what you did there. Good catch on the dork that requoted it.
    Signature here