Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: The Church Drummers Thread

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Church Drummers Thread

Old:

New:

User Info Menu

I'm bringing my DW kit home and going to use the church's SP kit. How naive was I to think nobody would "mess" with it? I found it left uncovered for the second time after mentioning my concerns to the church music director after the first time I found it left uncovered. Too bad it has to be this way but I learned my lesson and won't ever leave a kit behind unattended.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that your wishes weren't respected Rich. At my last church, I found out that if I wanted to keep people from "trying out" my gear when I wasn't around, I had to remove it. It's a shame that some people in churches don't respect a musician's tools.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Sorry to hear that your wishes weren't respected Rich. At my last church, I found out that if I wanted to keep people from "trying out" my gear when I wasn't around, I had to remove it. It's a shame that some people in churches don't respect a musician's tools.
    Thanks for your input Pastor Bob. I took a 1/2 day off from work and rushed down to the church while staff was still in the office and I ran into my Pastor. He totally understood where I was coming from and even voiced concern about the possibility of theft of the kit. This is a very small church with very limited resources.

Issues include not having adequate security for the vulnerable areas such as the side door to the common kitchen area. That door lacked a dead bolt. The kit is now safe and sound back home:

Last edited by late8; 03-21-2017 at 07:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Whew! Had a great night tonight, but it wore me out. The Spirit began to move and the songs never ended lol. We had a ladies group do a special that brought the house down. It was a lot of fun to play for them. We had some visitors who had some nice complements to offer not only me, but the other musicians as well, so that just topped it all off.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'm bringing my DW kit home and going to use the church's SP kit. How naive was I to think nobody would "mess" with it? I found it left uncovered for the second time after mentioning my concerns to the church music director after the first time I found it left uncovered. Too bad it has to be this way but I learned my lesson and won't ever leave a kit behind unattended.

That stinks................I leave my Risen kit set up at church, but bring home all of my cymbals, snare, throne, etc............but most importantly any sticks. From my experience, if there are sticks there, someone is going to play................so I always ensure none are laying around.

Just a big PITA to setup and tear down so often, but still better than having the kit come up missing.

User Info Menu

Well, it's a whole new world for me. With my country band disbanding, I've decide to jump into the rotation at church primarily on drums. I'll be going from 50- song nights and getting home at 3 am to 6-song mornings and getting home at noon. I'm pretty excited about this - a few of my really good friends play on the praise team and it's something I've wanted to do for a really long time.

A few big changes come with it...playing to a click track with vocal cues programmed within, and, playing an e-kit.

Here's my new view. No more neon beer signs or dance floors filled with crazy people hehe.

image.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Well, it's a whole new world for me. With my country band disbanding, I've decide to jump into the rotation at church primarily on drums. I'll be going from 50- song nights and getting home at 3 am to 6-song mornings and getting home at noon. I'm pretty excited about this - a few of my really good friends play on the praise team and it's something I've wanted to do for a really long time.

A few big changes come with it...playing to a click track with vocal cues programmed within, and, playing an e-kit.

Here's my new view. No more neon beer signs or dance floors filled with crazy people hehe.

image.jpg
    Definitely a culture change! Congrats and good luck............hopefully you enjoy it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Definitely a culture change! Congrats and good luck............hopefully you enjoy it.
    Thanks Longgun. Definitely different, but I'm really looking forward to the new challenge.

User Info Menu

A short version of "In Jesus Name" from our church service tonight. We played it slower than normal for this service. I tried to push the tempo, but they didn't see things my way lol

https://www.facebook.com/LukeMatheso...9295542763827/
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Nothing happens by chance, God orders our steps.

I said that to say this: Today I went to my local music store to sell some used gear. While I was there a gentleman walked in to get some gear, and began talking about a project he is working on for a live gospel album, but also said he's struggling to find a drummer. I told him I am a drummer, and let him listen to a few things I have recorded on my phone. Once I told him my name he told me that he has heard of me, and would be honored if I would be willing to play for his group on this project. I told him I have been praying for an opportunity to do something with a gospel group, and he said he's been praying for a drummer with gospel experience. Needless to say, we are in deep conversations about making this happen.
    Last edited by DrumWhipper; 08-23-2017 at 04:11 PM.

User Info Menu

New to me gig. A guy I've worked with in different situations is the MD for this. Fun playing with him. Ranged from reggae to shuffles and more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Couple of quick thoughts on the conversion from a country bar band to playing in church. You mentioned a click and e-kit. Every church seems to have their own take on the setup. I've played at churches that used a click, a backing track, in ears, drum mics, isolation booth, plexi shield......just about every situation. I personally don't like e-kits but to each his own. Then again I'm old and have always played acoustic drums. Each type of situation takes some adjustment. I see a lot more differences in how churches handle the drums than I ever came across in years of playing with bar bands. The church I'm playing at now is typical - we do 6-7 songs per service, so the obligation is minimal, but they do offer opportunities to play during their Friday NIght Praise service, which draws people and musicians from area churches. These can resemble an open mic night or jam session, though it starts out as very structured. They also play several events in the summer - smaller music festivals, church picnics, etc. So even though I'm not playing on Friday or Saturday night (and don't miss bars at all) there is the opportunity to play outside of the church at least a couple of times a month as well.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Holy smokes. I played at my church tonight and we had a service where God just took over and people hit the altar early. We had four songs on the schedule, but ended up playing for TWO HOURS STRAIGHT.

Now, I have no issue playing that long. I have the stamina and chops to do so, but my church has a Roland electric VDrum kit that has very little bounce back on the cymbals. It's like hitting a 2x4 everytime you hit a hi hat, ride, or crash.

My dang arms feel like jello now. It was a great service and a lot of fun, but I sure was missing my Mapex kit and Sabian cymbals!

User Info Menu

We had a good service this morning. Here's my "set list" from the service.

User Info Menu

We started new praise and worship band to play outside of church. We are playing Saturday at a fund raiser in downtown Alexandria, Louisiana. I am psyched about this. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    We started new praise and worship band to play outside of church. We are playing Saturday at a fund raiser in downtown Alexandria, Louisiana. I am psyched about this. Peace and goodwill.
    Cool. Pastor Bob was doing that for awhile and you could tell he loved it.

User Info Menu

I answered a Craigslist ad that needed a drummer so I called and set up an audition last week. I asked for lyric sheets and youtube links for the music since I didn't recognize any of the titles.

My request was quickly met that same day so I downloaded the material and started charting out a 12 song set list.

I showed up a few days later for the audition with my Ludwig 3pc kit, cymbals and hardware but I was unaware I had the option to use what was already set up: a Mapex M, or a Roland e-kit.

The music director asked if I had any issues playing to a click at which point I glanced down to my metronome and shook my head "no". He smiled back at me and said I was the first drummer who has taken the initiative to be totally prepared for the audition.

His set up was pretty simple. He played a 12 string acoustic guitar and had my click and the guitar running through the house PA.

I'm pleased to say that I passed the audition. I'm now the drummer for the South Bound Resurrection Band and my first gig will be a free outdoor concert on August 31.

We are on the same bill as Lisa Daggs who is the headliner. Lisa is the Inspirational Country Entertainer of the Year and she is based out of Nashville Tenn.

This concert is the 28th annual event and past attendances have ranged from 1000-3000 people. Wish me luck!!

Last edited by late8; 08-19-2019 at 04:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I answered a Craigslist ad that needed a drummer so I called and set up an audition last week. I asked for lyric sheets and youtube links for the music since I didn't recognize any of the titles.

My request was quickly met that same day so I downloaded the material and started charting out a 12 song set list.

I showed up a few days later for the audition with my Ludwig 3pc kit, cymbals and hardware but I was unaware I had the option to use what was already set up: a Mapex Saturn IV, or a Roland e-kit.

The music director asked if I had any issues playing to a click at which point I glanced down to my metronome and shook my head "no". He smiled back at me and said I was the first drummer who has taken the initiative to be totally prepared for the audition.

His set up was pretty simple. He played a 12 string acoustic guitar and had my click and the guitar running through the house PA.

I'm pleased to say that I passed the audition. I'm now the drummer for the South Bound Resurrection Band and my first gig will be a free outdoor concert on August 31.

We are on the same bill as Lisa Daggs who is the headliner. Lisa is the Inspirational Country Entertainer of the Year and she is based out of Nashville Tenn.

This concert is the 28th annual event and passed attendances have ranged from 1000-3000 people. Wish me luck!!

Congrats late! Can't wait to hear how it goes.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Not surprised. Would have expected no less.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Congrats late! Can't wait to hear how it goes.
    Thanks OldeEnglishD. I appreciate it!

User Info Menu

I got tired of just looking at my kit at the apartment so I hauled them down to the church the other day for band practice.

User Info Menu

Nice
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Thanks! Welcome back CB700...

User Info Menu

After much praying, we changed to a new smaller church. The drums are Pearl Export 22/12/16/ Modern Utility Snare. The cymbals are Sabian HHX 20" Evolution Ride, 18" SR2 Thin Crash, 16" AA Thin Crash, and 13" Paiste Alpha Hats. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army