Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Church Drummers Thread

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Church Drummers Thread

I bought the new Jesus Culture CD a few weeks ago(really good btw), and for the life of me I couldn't comprehend what was going on... looked at the music videos they have for that CD, like 2 percussionist + the drummer. Duh. Aggravates me though... I've either got to train a few percussionist, or change the way the music is played, which isn't going to sound as good.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ciz View Post
    I bought the new Jesus Culture CD a few weeks ago(really good btw), and for the life of me I couldn't comprehend what was going on... looked at the music videos they have for that CD, like 2 percussionist + the drummer. Duh. Aggravates me though... I've either got to train a few percussionist, or change the way the music is played, which isn't going to sound as good.

I haven't heard it yet, but I never knew JC even had percussionists. Is this a recent thing?
    Either way, I'm sure there are ways to at least combine the most important parts for the drumset. It won't be everything, but it'll be something that'll work well.

User Info Menu

Why is there a need to sound like another band? Use the people and gifts that are in your band and adapt.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Why is there a need to sound like another band? Use the people and gifts that are in your band and adapt.
    I really like the way a particular song sounds, and without the percussionist it sounds empty. We'll have to adapt, but it's not what we prefer.

User Info Menu

I really like the way a particular song sounds, and without the percussionist it sounds empty. We'll have to adapt, but it's not what we prefer.
    Or just don't do the song!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Or just don't do the song!

all the best...
    Guess we'll see how it goes Saturday lol.

User Info Menu

Hey, can we start a discussion about the drummer's stage presence during worship? This may be just be me being self-conscious or something, but how do you deal with stage presence on a worship team? I never seemed to have issues with this when playing in rock bands. There was always stick twirling/toss-n-grabs, "drum faces," etc.

However, when I play at church and I just I concentrate, I look like I'm pi$$ed off. When I smile, it looks forced (and I look like a goon). When I sort of groove with the music, I look even goonier. When I try to make eye contact with people in the audience, I feel like I look like a stalker.

If you want to see the pi$$y look, click here (http://mpbc.ws/media/), find the music for 7-27-14, and fast forward to 14:08. I'm the big dude behind the kit.

Part of me believes that I have way too much going on behind the kit to bother worrying about it, but I'm put up on this riser and I can be seen by everyone. Also, a part of me believes that since we have a bajillion singers, a few guitar players, keyboard player(s), etc., that should they should be the ones concentrating on it way on it more than me. As a matter of fact, our worship leader (who has learned to play several songs on the drums so that I can have the occasional Sunday off) says there's WAY too much going on back there for him to worry about it...and he makes a big deal of stage presence in general.

Is there anything you concentrate on considering stage presence when playing at church? Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Porkpieguy, I have no idea how long you have been playing, but you rock dude, bar none! I enjoy watching you play even if the video operator don't put much of the drums in. Anyway to my point, I am very new to drumming, less than a year with lessons now. I am getting there slowly but surely. Now really to my point this time, while I am no where close to your level, I actually smile the whole time I play the drums in worship and the reason, I love to play the drums and I love to play drums in worship, I consider it a honor to be able to play in this aspect. It does not take anything to smile, think about what you are there for and why. Smiles will come easy after that, people are watching you so smile and then they will and we know what we are smiling about. Drum on man, you are awesome. Remember why you are there to start with. Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie W. View Post
    Porkpieguy, I have no idea how long you have been playing, but you rock dude, bar none! I enjoy watching you play even if the video operator don't put much of the drums in. Anyway to my point, I am very new to drumming, less than a year with lessons now. I am getting there slowly but surely. Now really to my point this time, while I am no where close to your level, I actually smile the whole time I play the drums in worship and the reason, I love to play the drums and I love to play drums in worship, I consider it a honor to be able to play in this aspect. It does not take anything to smile, think about what you are there for and why. Smiles will come easy after that, people are watching you so smile and then they will and we know what we are smiling about. Drum on man, you are awesome. Remember why you are there to start with. Thanks for posting!
    Thanks Frankie for the kind words. I've been playing worship music for close to 20 years now (in addition to a few bands), but I feel like I have the skill of someone that's been playing for 3-4 years. I still have so much to learn.

I think that I have a difficult time smiling because I'm concentrating so hard on what I'm doing. I know you probably can't tell from the video(s), but I don't think that any of our lead singers (and choir members which are on both sides of my kit) have ever had to sing with a group outside of church. The tendency for these folks is to sing behind the beat (some are better at singing in time than others), but if you only knew how difficult it is to play with a click track/metronome live with groups of people on your right and left (and some folks in front of you with microphones) singing behind the beat. It doesn't make me mad or anything, but it does cause me to concentrate an incredible amount. They've gotten a lot better, but I don't know if they will ever be dead on.

A couple more things: If you go to our site: http://mpbc.ws/media/ and watch the beginning of the video from 9/14/14, those crazies are clapping on 1&3. Although my in-ears are noise-cancelling, I can still hear them and see them. O. M. G. What a mess.

However, if you fast forward to about 15:25 in the same video, you'll be able to really see me using the 14" floor tom on my left in addition to the biggest drum fill I've ever been able to pull off in a church.

Thanks again everyone!

User Info Menu

Ha, even if you didn't or couldn't hear them, seeing and feeling would take over. No way in the world could I have kept it together. I would probably have just stopped and tried to figure it out. lol lol I am a very lucky beginner as far as I can tell, drum teacher on Wednesday afternoon and praise team practice Wednesday evening. I said all that to say this, we sing old hymnal songs ( which I love by the way ) about 4 or 5, then a couple of praise songs. I am working hard on my timing..... no click track or metronome much needed on old songs. I'm no where near good though, just learning little by little. Next week I am going to play on Sunday as well, looking forward to it. We have a piano, plugged in guitar and myself on drums. Six people singing so no where near what you have to deal with, anyhow thanks for posting, I enjoy watching the videos. Drum on.

User Info Menu

I consciously try not to have stage presence when I play in (my very small) church. I see my role as facilitating worship, not as performing.
    Thumpin' Scott Comet
    Cool Cajon (Erakkustik), Nice C0cktail Kit (Gretsch Brooklyn), Peculiar Bop Kit (Whitney), Boring 5-piece Normie Kit (Yamaha)

User Info Menu

Comet,
    While I will agree with you to a certain extent, I am also a drummer in a very small church. We have a piano, a flat top guitar and my drums with 3 or 4 praise team singers. We play to 25 to 35 people every Sunday, which is great for me as I am a under a year taught drummer. While I don't exactly see myself as a performer, I do play to and for worship, the churches as well as mine. Might I add, I smile a lot ( no brainer ) and very much enjoy what I do and who I do it for. Keep up the good work. Not bragging, but I have my one year anniversary November 1st. Did I mention I love playing the drums?

User Info Menu

Interesting that this was brought up. Recently played in what they called "the pit". All of their musicians are hidden, choir was hidden, just whoever was leading that particular song, and the preacher were seen on stage. It was odd, but effective. Mixed emotions about it honestly, hated being cut-off in a way, but they had screens so we could see the congregation. It really took the focus off the band.

User Info Menu

Wow Ciz, that sounds sort of weird in a way. That is one way to make sure no one is going to be performing in any way. Kind of makes me think of a satellite church in a way. I know you said screens were there, but personally I like being able to see eye to eye so I can read the mood. Just my way of thinking as long as it's being done for the right thing, it really don't matter, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie W. View Post
    Wow Ciz, that sounds sort of weird in a way. That is one way to make sure no one is going to be performing in any way. Kind of makes me think of a satellite church in a way. I know you said screens were there, but personally I like being able to see eye to eye so I can read the mood. Just my way of thinking as long as it's being done for the right thing, it really don't matter, right?
    In a way yes. I didn't particularly like it. But I understand both sides. Their thing was regardless if YOU are doing it for the right, the people that are watching may not be mature enough to not focus on you. They kind of just eliminated that problem altogether. Like I said, I get it, but not my cup-o-tea. Interested enough they said when they moved to their new building, and they built it that way, that half of their musicians and choir quit. Makes me wonder how many people on my current team would quit if we were to do this. That's one way to weed out the people that are there to be noticed I suppose, eh?

User Info Menu

I think this is a prime example of "I get it, but I don't necessarily like it."

Hey, if it works for your church, I'd say go for it.

User Info Menu

I agree and understand completely. Like porkpieguy say's, if it works for your church go for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by comet View Post
    I see my role as facilitating worship, not as performing.
    Let's keep this on just drumming and music guys. That was the agreement. Otherwise we're going to have to let the Muslims have their own Mosque drummers thread and the Atheists have their own Atheist drummers thread and so on... and you may not like that.

User Info Menu

Where might I get simple music describing the basic grooves of popular Christian songs?

For example Carl A. of Paul Baloche's band has a pdf of 100 songs listing the basic HH time, Kick hits, and Snare hits. Just knowing where the kick drum lands would help.

Does anyone know the groove (kick) for Furious by Jeremy Riddle?

thanks

Is there a different place on this forum where groove music is shared?
    Steve
    Seattle

User Info Menu

I didn't even know this existed. I take it you learn better when reading the music compared to listening to it? A lot of drum parts in worship songs are fairly simple and similar (assuming you want to play them as close to the original versions as possible anyway), so you can transfer a lot of grooves that you may already know to other songs with very minor changes.

User Info Menu

Yes, I can't here the kick drum very well as to where it is landing. I'm pretty new to drumming and a year of drum lessons got me hooked on the music because then I can practice it.

Yes the Christian Rock is pretty common but unique grooves do exist on some songs and yes our band wants to learn to play them as they sound on YOUTUBE first, then change them later. Because getting them as written is more of a stretch in skill then just pounding out what we can do. When we do that, ever song sounds the same.

For example the kick in the song Furious sounds like it is landing on:
    1 @ah2e 3e@ah

But is it? If you are a good listener, check it out on youtube and letting me know would be greatly appreciated.
    Steve
    Seattle

User Info Menu

Hi, you seem really knowledgeable about drumming. Our band is trying to get better at grooves. Might you know the groove being played for the song Furious by Jeremy Riddle. I really need to know when is the kick drum hitting? I listen but can't figure it out. I'm only a 1 year part time drummer because I'm also our worship teams keyboard guy, but I like drumming. Your help is appreciated. Thanks
    Steve at sglynn55@gmail.com

Forum won't let me send private message yet.
    Steve
    Seattle

User Info Menu

Just a suggestion here, but if you are having a hard time hearing the kick pattern, the song is likely to be pretty complex and tough on a beginner (I did not listen to it). Might I suggest to just simplify it down something very basic? It will be easier on your worship team and you. And I doubt anyone in the audience will ever know the difference. Again, just a thought.

Tex

User Info Menu

Don't feel bad about not being able to hear kick patterns. Vertical Church has really great tutorial videos on how to do their songs. I'm usually really good at being able to hear patterns. However, as I've mentioned before, I had the most difficult time hearing the drum parts for "Victor's Crown" by Hillsong. There's an amazing drum cover of this song that is very good and extremely helpful. Thank God for YouTube!

As far as grooves for songs, you should establish these with your bass player. It might be helpful to just get together with your bass player and come up with some patterns and grooves together. My wife plays bass at our church, and we will oftentimes practice on our own at home.

User Info Menu

Thanks, for the suggestions. I agree with simplify. Most of the recorded songs are complex with more than one drummer. But i find that if we get the kick, snare and HH fairly close the groove can be heard. We don't add the ghost notes, flams, fills. We just try to get the basic beat.

So if anyone can listen to Furious by Jeremy Riddle and tell me where the kick drum is landing, that would be most appreciated.
    Steve
    Seattle