Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Church Drummers Thread

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Church Drummers Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 54bogger View Post
    I've been reading these posts and have talked with other's who play in church bands and would like your feed back on what I'm thinking of putting together.
    I would like to have at my church once a month a "Jam nite" for all those who play in church's or those who just like to play an instrument. The mic's would be turned up and the drum's would not be cut down and people could just Jam without fear of complaints. But there's more, not only christian song's but secular song's would be allowed also ( common sense must be used here as we are christians). Many people who play in church's know other's outside the church playing in clubs that can be invited to come and play also even though they dont know any christian music, refreshments would be served such as bottled water and sodas all for free. This is a way to get others to come and see that christians can have a blast to! It's called out reach.
    What do y'all think?
    Not a bad idea. Just have to be careful of the song choice like you mentioned. Never hurts to try something new to bring new people in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 54bogger View Post
    I've been reading these posts and have talked with other's who play in church bands and would like your feed back on what I'm thinking of putting together.
    I would like to have at my church once a month a "Jam nite" for all those who play in church's or those who just like to play an instrument. The mic's would be turned up and the drum's would not be cut down and people could just Jam without fear of complaints. But there's more, not only christian song's but secular song's would be allowed also ( common sense must be used here as we are christians). Many people who play in church's know other's outside the church playing in clubs that can be invited to come and play also even though they dont know any christian music, refreshments would be served such as bottled water and sodas all for free. This is a way to get others to come and see that christians can have a blast to! It's called out reach.
    What do y'all think?
    Good idea and certainly worth a go.

As an aside, apart from the obvious issues around lyrics, do people see a separation between 'Christian' music and 'secular'? Personally, I just consider it all just music and happily play what could be considered one of these types in any venue. That said, IMO, the standard of 'secular' music is typically higher than that which is composed by and for the church.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

This is honestly a "touchy" subject around where I live. Without getting into the religious part of it, let's just say my pastor believes people should be reverent, respectful, etc.. at the church, because of whom it's there for. When he was younger, he allowed something like this to go on for a few months, and he walked in to see his worship team playing music with bad language, and a bunch of highschool students dancing and partying to it. So as of now, he believes if you give em an inch, they'll take a mile. So we can't play secular music in our church at any time.

I've been invited to play at some other churches though for a jam night, an anything goes type of thing. I personally feel uncomfortable with it, I play for one reason and one reason only, and if my church were to start doing this, I would be uncomfortable with it honestly. I don't play secular music, not that there's anything wrong with it, I just don't. I don't even listen to secular music. But again, not going into that because of the discussions that would arise, because it would be against forum rules.

However, to each his own. I would say that if every person on your worship team is comfortable with it, your pastors and leaders have no problem with it, and it's not going to start problems, go for it! Just remember to be respectful. It is a church after-all.

Yes, I do consider there to be gap between secular and Christian music, the easiest way to determine that to me, is to ask why the song was written. Guys, be mindful of your replies, don't get into the faith or religious side of this, because it would be very easy to.

As far as quality, it honestly depends on who you listen to. As far as worship music, most of it does seem to be of lesser quality, not all of it though! I think it's because of the purpose for which it's written, there's not really a secular genre to compare it to if you know what I mean. I listen to alot of Christian rock, I don't consider the standard to be lower at all. A few of my bands are Red and Thousand Foot Krutch, I have friends who don't believe at all, that listen to my music, just because they like it. Lol. You also have bands like Skillet that do both, to draw in both crowds. But like I said, it depends on who you listen to.
    Last edited by Ciz; 03-17-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ciz View Post
    Guys, be mindful of your replies, don't get into the faith or religious side of this, because it would be very easy to.
    Actually, we're already there. The minute we're talking about what God expects from us or what we feel religiously is the right thing to do, we're into a religious discussion. I won't delete this time but respectfully we do need to get off this topic. Please let us avoid the religious aspect of this thread. The forum owners allowed this thread only if it were avoided. It was contingent on the ability to keep it about drums and music only. Hard to walk that fine line I know but please give it your best shot. - Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tankman View Post
    What's the pros and cons about playing behind a sound shield or plexiglass shield?
    Pros for the drummer:

1. The drummer does not have to be as reserved and can play at a volume that is more comfortable as opposed to playing softer.

2. If the drummer uses a wedge-type monitor, the drummer can cut up the monitor louder without as much worry about bleed-through to the mikes outside of the drummer's area.

Pros for the sound guys:

1. More control over volume.

2. More mic sound as opposed to natural sound. Sound techs may have more control of mix, EQ, effects, etc.

Cons for the drummer:

1. The drummer looks like he/she is in an aquarium (I simply do not like the way that they look. Even from the audience I think that they look pretty bad.).

2. May promote more of a stage presence of "me and them" as opposed to "us." In other words, the drummer may feel more isolated and not part of the band or group.

3. If the drummer is not using in-ear monitors, this can be extremely loud and cause hearing damage. All of the sound that's supposed to be projected out is now coming back toward the drummer...with vengeance.

4. If you are part of a group that travels, it's one more thing to have to set up night after night (like drummers don't have enough to set up already!).

5. During rehearsals, the drummer has to shout to get anyone's attention.

6. If the drummer uses a completely enclosed shield, it can get really hot in there.

Cons for sound guys:

1. As mentioned in a previous post, if the sound guy is lazy, you may have to play louder to get the same effect.

2. While there is a more mic'ed sound to the whole thing, any natural sound that you have from the stage will sound muffled. A lot of the time, you have to crank the mics to get it to sound decent (which sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?).

3. If the drummer uses a non-shielded monitor and chooses to crank it up, it can cause nasty feedback...in a tight, loud environment.

Additional issues:

1. It can make lighting difficult.

2. If you are traveling, stage sizes can vary night after night. Space may become an issue.

3. I'm sure those things get dusty and get fingerprints from time to time.

4. They really aren't as cheap as they should be.

Last but not least, this:

(The fun begins at :24).

I'm sure more people will add additional info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Actually, we're already there. The minute we're talking about what God expects from us or what we feel religiously is the right thing to do, we're into a religious discussion. I won't delete this time but respectfully we do need to get off this topic. Please let us avoid the religious aspect of this thread. The forum owners allowed this thread only if it were avoided. It was contingent on the ability to keep it about drums and music only. Hard to walk that fine line I know but please give it your best shot. - Thank you
    Got'cha.

User Info Menu

New subject:

I don't know what everyone else is working on, but we try to be pretty current as far as the popularity of worship songs. One thing I've noticed most recently is that we've been learning more and more songs in the past 5-6 months that require the drummer to ride on the floor tom in addition to more tom work in general. I can provide examples if needed.

Anyone else notice this?

User Info Menu

Our pastor picks on a theme of the week and then brings in music with that message embedded. I find it's more related that way than by age of the song.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    New subject:

I don't know what everyone else is working on, but we try to be pretty current as far as the popularity of worship songs. One thing I've noticed most recently is that we've been learning more and more songs in the past 5-6 months that require the drummer to ride on the floor tom in addition to more tom work in general. I can provide examples if needed.

Anyone else notice this?
    Definetly, and I'm not sure exactly why, can't really explain it, but I'm not very good at it! lol!, I know, it's just moving your hands to the toms instead of the high hats and snare, but it still seems so hard to get my brain to adjust to it! We are working on an easter song by Kari Jobe....can't really remember the name though!
    Born to DRUM!!

User Info Menu

New subject:

Anyone else notice this?
    Yup. I've noticed the same, the majority of the new songs we have done have had tom grooves(or tom beats) somewhere in them. Also noticing alot of snare(marching style) grooves in our songs.

Off the top of my head, some newer songs we do that require tom grooves:

Oceans by United
    Forever by Bethel Music
    Higher by Worth Dying For
    Closer by Bethel Music
    My Lighthouse by Rend Collective
    Spirit Break Out by Kim Walker Smith
    I Love You Lord in the style of Generation Unleashed
    I Surrender by Hillsong
    Great Great God by Gateway Worship
    Victorious by Gateway Worship
    Rise by Hillsong
    The Anthem by Mark Hamilton
    Fill Me Up in the style of Jesus Culture
    Your Love Never Fails in the style of Jesus Culture
    Forever Reign by Hillsong
    Break Every Chain in the style of Jesus Culture
    Hopes Anthem by Bethel Music
    Take It All by Hillsong
    Let It Rain in the style of Jesus Culture
    Limitless by Planetshakers
    Power of Your Love by Worth Dying For
    We Cry Out by Jesus Culture

That's just thinking back over the last month or so.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumnut30 View Post
    Definetly, and I'm not sure exactly why, can't really explain it, but I'm not very good at it! lol!, I know, it's just moving your hands to the toms instead of the high hats and snare, but it still seems so hard to get my brain to adjust to it! We are working on an easter song by Kari Jobe....can't really remember the name though!
    Is it "Forever"? That's the one we're working on for Easter lol.

User Info Menu

Off the top of my head, some newer songs we do that require tom grooves:

Oceans by United
    Forever by Bethel Music
    Closer by Bethel Music
    Spirit Break Out by Kim Walker Smith
    I Surrender by Hillsong
    Your Love Never Fails in the style of Jesus Culture
    Forever Reign by Hillsong
    Break Every Chain in the style of Jesus Culture
    We've done all of those too! "Forever" is what we are working on for Easter service as well.

User Info Menu

Is it "Forever"? That's the one we're working on for Easter lol.
    Yes it is!
    Born to DRUM!!

User Info Menu

Haha I know alot of churches that are doing that song for Easter. That song is originally done by Bethel Music on the Tides album I believe. I heard that song for the first time around Halloween last year, and put it in the Easter lineup soon after. When Kari Jobe remade it, it got REALLY popular. Good thing too, perfect Easter song. We're also learning "See His Love" by Jesus Culture for Easter. Not a new song, but it's new to us, and is ALOT of fun to play.

User Info Menu

Any of you have that one song that you just dread playing? Mine is Rooftops by JC. I usually have a metronome that flashes anyways, but I normally don't have to pay alot of attention to it. With that song, I have to really focus on it. Because I tend to try to play the verses and chorus at different speeds, because of it alternating between the snare groove and the crashes. I have spent hours and hours practicing that song, but I can't get to the point of where I'm comfortable playing without the metronome.

User Info Menu

We are trying The Blood for Easter. It sounds really good so far. Has a lotof fills in it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Our pastor picks on a theme of the week and then brings in music with that message embedded. I find it's more related that way than by age of the song.
    Yes, our worship pastor and speaker get together and talk messages and music so that they match up. They do this weeks in advance. However, we tend to use music that we've learned in the past couple of years as opposed to really old songs.

User Info Menu

Yup. I've noticed the same, the majority of the new songs we have done have had tom grooves(or tom beats) somewhere in them. Also noticing alot of snare(marching style) grooves in our songs.
    Geez, isn't that the truth! I don't mind it, but part of my job is to keep time because none of the singers and only a few of the instrumentalists have IEM's...and we play with a click. Sometimes, folks can get lost in the marching snare work, so I usually put the kick with it too...even if it's not what the original song has just so that everyone will keep up and not drag.

User Info Menu

Any of you have that one song that you just dread playing?
    My latest nemesis is "The Greatness of our God" - this version:

It's by far the easiest song that we've learned. I wish that I could play the pattern during the verses, but our worship team looks lost when I do, so I just play it straight.

I think the thing that drives me crazy about that song is that it has a drum break and a stop/accapella part near the end that I tend to want to play right through. I've made that mistake enough to know to pull out my playing notes whenever we play that song because I'm likely to do it again.

Worship songs that I hope to never play again:

• Counting on God (can there be a more redundant song?)
    • Any "saved song" (a Christian version of a secular song, e.g. "Sweet Home Up in Heaven")
    • Any of those crazy Jewish-sounding songs that seem to be popular in a lot of Pentecostal churches. I can't stand them, but I've had to play them in my past

User Info Menu

I know we have several different conversations going on here, but what's the most difficult worship song you've had to learn?

Mine has got to be Victor's Crown. First, if it were not for this video, I would not been able to hear everything.

For some reason, the drum mix is pretty buried in the recording. Also, my church is always concerned with noise level. I told my worship pastor that if he really wants me to play this song that I may be thrown out because you can't play this song softly and it still have the same effect. It sounds pretty tame until you get to about 4:55...then the fun starts.

The result? People love it...thank goodness. It was definitely a make it or break it situation. I'm glad they are happy with it.

User Info Menu

New subject:

Anyone else notice this?
    Yep, definitely noticed this. A good example of this is the Spirit Break Out album by Worship Central. I was at a conference where Worship Central pretty much played the entire album and the drummer was all over his toms.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

My latest nemesis is "The Greatness of our God" - this version:

It's by far the easiest song that we've learned. I wish that I could play the pattern during the verses, but our worship team looks lost when I do, so I just play it straight.

I think the thing that drives me crazy about that song is that it has a drum break and a stop/accapella part near the end that I tend to want to play right through. I've made that mistake enough to know to pull out my playing notes whenever we play that song because I'm likely to do it again.

Worship songs that I hope to never play again:

• Counting on God (can there be a more redundant song?)
    • Any "saved song" (a Christian version of a secular song, e.g. "Sweet Home Up in Heaven")
    • Any of those crazy Jewish-sounding songs that seem to be popular in a lot of Pentecostal churches. I can't stand them, but I've had to play them in my past
    The one I hope I never play again (but know they will) is "Better Is One Day"... ugh! I do fine on it, but yuk!
    A close second is "Every Day".

User Info Menu

Geez, isn't that the truth! I don't mind it, but part of my job is to keep time because none of the singers and only a few of the instrumentalists have IEM's...and we play with a click. Sometimes, folks can get lost in the marching snare work, so I usually put the kick with it too...even if it's not what the original song has just so that everyone will keep up and not drag.
    Going through this with White Flag 10,000 Reasons was a little bit of a pain too.

User Info Menu

I know we have several different conversations going on here, but what's the most difficult worship song you've had to learn
    When I was first learning, there was one song I had a little trouble learning... Hosanna by Hillsong. Learned how to do ghost notes with that song.

Then there was the song that I had ALOT of trouble learning, which was Break Free by United. That's still a song that I mess up on regularly. I've never had as much trouble with any other song, but that one, I spent WEEKS practicing it. The first time we played, I screwed up like 5 times, badly. I don't despise playing it, but I need to be focused.

User Info Menu

[*]Any of those crazy Jewish-sounding songs that seem to be popular in a lot of Pentecostal churches. I can't stand them, but I've had to play them in my past
    Yep. That's my denomination lol. I haven't played one of the zion/jewish sounding songs for a few years now, thankfully. Looking back, I don't think anyone actually liked or responded to those songs I know most of the churches that do mostly hymns will do alot of zion stuff, or 80's/90's contemporary music(ie.. Shout To The Lord, Breathe, Awesome God..). It's quite painful most of the time. One thing I will say though, is the song "David Danced" is like the only song I've really done a solid double bass beat to. As annoying as some of them are, some of those songs are pretty jammin'.