Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stewart Copeland

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Stewart Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I just found a whole new respect for Stewart Copeland. I was watching "Storage Wars" and he makes an appearance on there. Barry won a locker with a Ludwig kit in it, and somehow or other he's friends with Stewart, so he drags that kit over to his place to see what it's worth. Unfortunately, while it was a nice kit, Barry wasn't going to get his money back out them....until Stewart signed them all, tripling the value! LOL! There is also video of him playing them, so the signatures combined with the video is provenance that they were actually once played by Stewart - pretty cool IMO.
    I saw that! I remember thinking "if only it was a white Tama set, then BAM! It would be perfect!" I had a good laugh when Stewart bought the ride for $40 on the spot.

In a previous episode Barry enlisted the help of Brad Whitford from Aerosmith as well. I wonder just how he knows some of these people, as his backstory is that he made his money from running a produce company.

On the show's site there's a page for Darryl. He had some decent Taye Studiomaples he rescued from a locker for sale at a swapmeet.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stewart Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I love his kit, very beautiful. Great style too, fills are tasteful and never overused. I hear he made some of his first recordings with a Tama imperialstar, and often times uses the same snare from that kit for studio work. I could be wrong though, anyone know if he does?
    He still has his special snare from "an unknown provenance", the one used during The Police, as well as what the current Tama Signature Snare replicates. I do believe it's an old Pearl- believe it or not! I'll check with Jeff Seitz on that as well as if he still uses it with studio work and will let you know!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    I saw that! I remember thinking "if only it was a white Tama set, then BAM! It would be perfect!" I had a good laugh when Stewart bought the ride for $40 on the spot.

In a previous episode Barry enlisted the help of Brad Whitford from Aerosmith as well. I wonder just how he knows some of these people, as his backstory is that he made his money from running a produce company.

On the show's site there's a page for Darryl. He had some decent Taye Studiomaples he rescued from a locker for sale at a swapmeet.
    I saw that also and thought, "man, Barry is getting ripped off on the cymbal and Stewart is making out really good!!"
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I talked with Jeff, who stated the original snare Stewart used, and that with the signature snare is patterned after is an old Pearl Jupiter snare- Chrome over brass, seamless. However for all current studio and live work, he only uses the Tama Signature snare (SC145). I have to admit it's a pretty sweet snare- I use mine for most everything as well.

Hope this helps!

User Info Menu

... the most overrated dummer ever.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    ... the most overrated dummer ever.
    Here we go

It's about to get ugly here!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    Here we go

It's about to get ugly here!
    Haha...my thought's exactly.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

*** Kazaamski grabs his brass drumsticks and coolly looks around the room...
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

No, Travis Barker is over rated. :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    No, Travis Barker is over rated. :P
    OMG Anthony, you are my new hero. Finally someone else thinks Travis Barker is over rated! I have not ever been a fan of his. I just could never find the appeal to his style of drumming. Now if we could just get someone to finally admit that the "The Rev" is also over rated, it would be like winning the lottery!

Stewart is definitely NOT over rated.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Yeah, damn straight! I NEVER understood the Travis Barker thing. Why, God, WHY does he get so much praise?!?!?!

But that's just me. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and such, some things I will just never understand.

User Info Menu

Travis who??
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

I think that any drummer who can be known to a large body of people due to a distinct styling and sound they create with their instrument can't be considered to be over-rated. You don't have to have amazing chops or blaze around the kit to do that either. I would say that Stewart Copeland definitely falls into that category - he has a pretty distinct sound and those albums he did with the Police wouldn't be the same with any other drummer, even if they were playing the same things. It's not what is being played, it's HOW it is being played. Another fine example of that is Phil Rudd. Phil is an amazing drummer in my book. Another example of that is Travis Barker - love him or hate him, he definitely makes his way doing his own distinct thing.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I think that any drummer who can be known to a large body of people due to a distinct styling and sound they create with their instrument can't be considered to be over-rated. You don't have to have amazing chops or blaze around the kit to do that either. I would say that Stewart Copeland definitely falls into that category - he has a pretty distinct sound and those albums he did with the Police wouldn't be the same with any other drummer, even if they were playing the same things. It's not what is being played, it's HOW it is being played. Another fine example of that is Phil Rudd. Phil is an amazing drummer in my book. Another example of that is Travis Barker - love him or hate him, he definitely makes his way doing his own distinct thing.
    Well said
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

+1...Tommy Lee / Chad Smith would be two that come to mind.

User Info Menu

With Stewart- it's obvious to me why he's different, how he sounds different, and what he does on the drums that is distinct from other drummers. Getting off topic- but what is so distinct about Barker or Lee? I can recognize Chad Smith, much in the same way most could recognize the sound/style of say Alex Van Halen- those two do have a distinct style and sound to their drumming. But I can't say the same of Lee or Barker. And I fully realize this could be because I'm not into them and don't listen to their music. Not intended to flame, I just want to understand what sets them apart and makes them distinct. Learn me!

User Info Menu

Completely agree. Best chops or not these are drummers that speak to people, drummers and non drummer a like.

I'm not saying I like or don't like any of them...but you have to respect the 'name' they've made for themselves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    With Stewart- it's obvious to me why he's different, how he sounds different, and what he does on the drums that is distinct from other drummers. Getting off topic- but what is so distinct about Barker or Lee? I can recognize Chad Smith, much in the same way most could recognize the sound/style of say Alex Van Halen- those two do have a distinct style and sound to their drumming. But I can't say the same of Lee or Barker. And I fully realize this could be because I'm not into them and don't listen to their music. Not intended to flame, I just want to understand what sets them apart and makes them distinct. Learn me!
    ...Don't know much about Barker, read a few articles about him and it seems "fans" seem to think he is a great drummer, and a lot of drummers don't think so.

...Tommy Lee - growing up in the 80's, he was the drummer I wanted to be. It wasn't the great licks, it was the show and the attitude. He could hit a cowbell once, and it would sound cool.....he was exactly the drummer for the times. He also brought showmanship to a new level.....never learned how to spin my sticks until I saw him. Tommy Lee was '80's metal

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Not being a fan of the Police's music I was late to the party when it comes to Stewart Copeland. I'd heard the tunes on the radio but never really listened because I could not stand their sound, Stings voice wears on me. However I believe it was after their 3rd or 4th album came out I got the chance to see them live for free so what the heck I figured I'd check it out and could always leave if I wasn't into it. Well Well, I still don't care for the music, however that night I was indeed treated to a fantastic display of drumming and percussion by Mr Copeland. This cat is indeed an excellent drummer. I was also amazed by how darn hard he hit his drums, he was laying into his snare with a ton of force. I was just waiting for that head to break but it never did.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 09-04-2015 at 07:10 AM.

User Info Menu

He cranks those suckers up! It is amazing to see up close just how hard he hits (traditional grip too!). Amazing.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-27-2017 at 07:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Amazing, listening to the drum parts without music. You hear every soft hits that you would not hear when all the music is playing. He is an amazing drummer for sure and when I listen to Police songs now I will try to recognize those gentle hits. Thanks for posting Olimpass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Amazing, listening to the drum parts without music. You hear every soft hits that you would not hear when all the music is playing. He is an amazing drummer for sure and when I listen to Police songs now I will try to recognize those gentle hits. Thanks for posting Olimpass.
    The isolated drum tracks are great! I love his reggae/rock fusion style that has made him famous. Great stuff!

User Info Menu

Just as Gilles has posted, the ghost notes are so subtle yet powerful. Copeland's dynamics are incredible. The middle-eastern influences that he grew up with is in the groove he's laying down. Thanks for posting these tracks as you did with Keith Moon's drum tracks. Your contribution here is awesome!