Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ginger Baker

User Info Menu

Default Ginger Baker

Ginger Baker

Drummer: Peter Edward “Ginger” Baker
    Style: Jazz, rock
    Main Bands: Cream
    Brief Summary: Born in Lewisham South London, Ginger Baker according to AllMusic “…is the most influential percussionist of the '60s”. Baker’s two bass drum set up is patterned after jazz great Louie Belson. In 1966 Baker teamed up with Eric Clapton and bassist Jack Bruce to form the band Cream which disbanded in 1968. Baker later joined Blind Faith and released just one album in 1969.

Other Facts: In May 2005, Baker reunited with Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce at the Royal Albert Hall London. Baker now resides in South Africa.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ginger Baker

Lol....damn Rich.....beat me to it, well done bud!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-30-2020 at 02:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice Late8. Ironically, I was just watching a Cream video just before going to DC and seeing this post.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqh54rSzheg"]Cream- Sunshine of Your Love - YouTube[/ame]
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Oh, and if there is an essential Ginger Baker album to get, it's this one, in my 'umble opinion, guv'nors! Not a dud track anywhere.

And if you've never heard him speak.....typical Co.ckney lad...lol.

Last edited by Drumbledore; 03-03-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

GB was an early rock-blues influence on me.

Actually got to see him during the "CREAM FAREWELL" tour in Dallas, October, 1968.
    Met him personally during a clinic in Little Rock, Arkansas 20 years later.

User Info Menu

Just in from the Washington Post: documentary film, about drummer Ginger Baker, will premiere at South by Southwest Film Festival March 2012! called "Beware of Mr. Baker!"

(If I can) Here's the link to The trailer on Rolling Stone:http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/n...ntary-20120301
    Can't wait for the DVD!
    Last edited by slinglander; 03-03-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added text

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Just in from the Washington Post: documentary film, about drummer Ginger Baker, will premiere at South by Southwest Film Festival March 2012! called "Beware of Mr. Baker!"

(If I can) Here's the link to The trailer on Rolling Stone:
    Can't wait for the DVD!
    Ha! Great, thanks for posting. I look forward to seeing it as well.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

i wonder if ginger baker can bake some ginger snaps?!?

if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

Or snap a ginger baker?

User Info Menu

Ginger Baker is looking pretty frail these days, if hes not careful a rimshot may snap his arm off.

User Info Menu

(If I can) Here's the link to The trailer on Rolling Stone:http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/n...ntary-20120301
    Can't wait for the DVD!
    Just read the Jay Bulger interview of Ginger Baker that was published today (3-4-12) in the Washington Post Sunday Magazine. This was the interview that led to the documentary. Good reading. When I saw it, with Ginger's younger face on the cover, and kit in the background, thought my drum mag arrived early!
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Gingers son is really a very good drummer also, he is currently touring playing a lot of Cream's music. His name is Kofi Baker.....
    "The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have"

User Info Menu

Ginger Baker and the rest of Cream was inducted into the Rock & Roll hall of fame in 1993.

He's truly one of the world's greatest drummer's!

User Info Menu

Can't wait for the DVD!
    I just watched it last night on Netflix.

What a nasty person.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

He wasnt inducted into the Rock & Roll hall of fame for his personality or his attitude but for his drumming.

During the filming of the documentary he was 72 or 73 yrs old and about to lose his home, land, and all his beloved horse's. His health is declining and now he's facing having to start all over yet again, if that doesn't make someone ill tempered nothing will.

User Info Menu

Most of what's happening to him, he brought on himself.

User Info Menu

Being a boy named Ginger would cause anyone to develop a bad attitude.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Most of what's happening to him, he brought on himself.
    I guess he's the only person to have ever made bad decisions.

I hope this doesn't turn into another [B]BASH Ginger Baker thread, if that happens I hope the moderator will delete all such posts. I've seen on other sites where his name is mentioned and people come out of the woodwork and start bashing away, I'd hope this site is different. Sometimes it's best to heed to the old saying " if you dont have anything good to say about someone, dont say anything."

BTW-Yes, I'm a Big Ginger Baker fan.

User Info Menu

Just the fact that Baker's made it this far is way better than at least 1/2 dz., other famous drummers that never made it past their 50's!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I watched the documentary "Beware of Mr. Baker" and what I found interesting was his kit set up, especially the shallow kick drums. I've been a fan of Mr. Baker's playing since the days of Cream.

User Info Menu

The DW layout would be his latest since his earlier layouts had his small toms between the kicks and the hats attached to the left kick hoop. And only three crashes and a splash in the very early days....he needed to leave room on the left of HH for the omnipresent pitcher of beer!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Mr.Baker has a new album coming out june 24th ( his first in 16yrs ) titled "Why". He will be touring the U.S most of june, all the places and dates are on his website.

User Info Menu

The DW layout would be his latest since his earlier layouts had his small toms between the kicks and the hats attached to the left kick hoop. And only three crashes and a splash in the very early days....he needed to leave room on the left of HH for the omnipresent pitcher of beer!
    Right, Ginger's earlier layout had shades of Belson's set up:

User Info Menu

If you've never read it Ginger Baker's autobiography titled "Hell Raiser" is very interesting, it's very well written.