Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: John Bonham

Quote Originally Posted by Lexer View Post
    I love everything about john bonham. Even his more simplistic tracks blow me away. Listen to his drum track for " all of my love ", just awesome.
    I also love the sound of his drums as well.
    I was thinking that exact same thing a couple of days ago while listening to the radio. Simple but big.

My simple belief is that his drums sound good because that's what big drums with single ply heads sound like. Jimmy Page got a deep roundness out of them in production which is his excellent contribution.
    Ginger Baker's drums, for example, sounded more boxy.

The most significant part of Bonham's sound though was his bass drum. It sounded like a much deeper version of the toms, making the kit one harmonious whole.

If you want that sound yourself, buy a biggish bass drum and don't cut a hole in it. Then make the sound guy mike it from the front (he should be your btch not the other way around). This will give you the whump of a real drum. The moment you cut a hole in it you have a thud. Then, when you add mom's soft furnishings and your security blanket you have a blat. No amount of production is going to save that.

I saw a picture of his son's setup, and sadly shook my head when I saw a hole with a microphone stuck in it.

Everyone says they love the sound but will not do what's necessary to get it. Not sure why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlayOtters View Post
    I was thinking that exact same thing a couple of days ago while listening to the radio. Simple but big.

My simple belief is that his drums sound good because that's what big drums with single ply heads sound like. Jimmy Page got a deep roundness out of them in production which is his excellent contribution.

The most significant part of Bonham's sound though was his bass drum. It sounded like a much deeper version of the toms, making the kit one harmonious whole.

If you want that sound yourself, buy a biggish bass drum and don't cut a hole in it. Then make the sound guy mike it from the front (he should be your btch not the other way around). This will give you the whump of a real drum. The moment you cut a hole in it you have a thud. Then, when you add mom's soft furnishings and your security blanket you have a blat. No amount of production is going to save that.

I saw a picture of his son's setup, and sadly shook my head when I saw a hole with a microphone stuck in it.

Everyone says they love the sound but will not do what's necessary to get it. Not sure why.
    I wondered myself. He had about the biggest, most organic, unique sound you can get and he did 40 years ago. No DW's, no fancy Evans heads and so on.
    Ludwig drums (large ones) with Remo black dot heads. That was about it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Yep, he sure knew how to get sound of his Ludwigs to be loud and boomy.

User Info Menu

It was Jimmy Pages' production methods as well as some primo engineers that helped give Bonzo the great recorded sound imo.

I still don't understand why more folks don't use 26" bass drums with NO hole!

Frankie Banali and Jon Hyde are 2 FB friends of mine that agree.......you MUST use a 26" bass drum or at least a very good 22 or 24 that has very little dampening inside and no hole.

I got to see Jason Bonham with his band Bonham years ago opening for the Cult.....Jason played one of his dads kits that night, but to me, Jason is really not similar to his dad in style.

User Info Menu

"Everyone says they love the sound but will not do what's necessary to get it. Not sure why."

Liking how someone's drums sound and wanting your drums to sound the same way are 2 different things.

I saw Led Zep twice in the '70's. 1st time was around '75. Bonham took a solo that was good but nothing to get excited about. The sound of his drums from 15' away was underwhelming.

The 2nd time he was heading for the end, so it was what it was.

User Info Menu

I think that the music/musicians accompanying Bonham really make a difference. Bonham with Spencer Davis Group or Jack Bruce or a metal band would not sound good. Big surprise!
    Baker or Weckl with Led Zep....ugh.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I read Jimmy Page liked Bonzos performance on "Presence" quite a lot...so do i.

User Info Menu

Fun photos....................

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I practiced some of his trademark fills today. The broken triplets and what not. Learning to lead with my left hand is going to be a sob.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

A Ludwig man through and through. I read once that producers would always bring in different gear for him to try, but if it wasn't Ludwig, he showed no interest.

all the best...

User Info Menu

As my user name suggests, I admire Bonzo's drumming very much.

I used to run a music night in a dive bar in LA and his daughter Zoe Bonham came down and played a few of her own songs. Great singer. Never managed to get her on the drums though to see if she's inherited her fathers drumming genes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeBonham View Post
    As my user name suggests, I admire Bonzo's drumming very much.

I used to run a music night in a dive bar in LA and his daughter Zoe Bonham came down and played a few of her own songs. Great singer. Never managed to get her on the drums though to see if she's inherited her fathers drumming genes.
    Cool, thanks for sharing that JakeBonham!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlayOtters View Post

Except that John Bonham used Emperor heads...two plies.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I have this deep fear that one of the brilliant czech sound "engineers" will be so smart and cut a hole into my 40yr old batter head while I'm not looking...

As previously mentioned, JB was brilliant in really playing to the music, sometimes it was simple, sometimes crazy complex. My two fave drumming songs from LZ are Achilles' Last Stand and Fool in the Rain
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

The last post in the Bonham thread was almost 1 year ago?

well here we go then

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Awesome!

User Info Menu

What is and What Should Never Be (Isolated drum track)

User Info Menu

I think Bonhams drums sound the way they do because it was John Bonham who was playing the drums.
    I know everyone has an opinion on bonham but to me he was one of the best. I love everything about his playing and sound. His sense of groove is incredible. What i liked most was how he did so much with such a small set.

User Info Menu

I agree he was the best and new how to make them drums sing out loud.

User Info Menu

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The world was introduced to John Henry Bonham with the song “ good times bad times”. Bear in mind, he was only 19 years old. Not only is his playing amazing but so is the creativity of how he came up with that groove in the first place. I love when drummers say, “ i can play that, its not that hard”. The point is, he had the creative ability to come up with that groove in the first place. Most musicians are great at copying but not very good at coming up with their own stuff from scratch. Think of a catchy guitar riff or a catchy chorus in a song. Thats what separates the oridinary from the extraordinary and why mediocre musicians become famous: its all about the creativity.
    He brought so much to Zeppelins songs but in my opinion the best example of how Bonham’s drumming made a song what it has become was the introduction of the drum part in the song “stairway to heaven”.
    I always felt the drumming in that particular song best exemplified the power of john bonham and what he can bring to a song. Dare i ask, would stairway to heaven been a hit with Neil Peart behind the drums????
    I say no.
    Last edited by Lexer; 05-20-2019 at 07:33 AM.

User Info Menu

This guy does a great job showing how to play some Bonham fills and grooves.
    https://youtu.be/1aEz6B7wRfA

User Info Menu

Ya they are great tips. Thanks NPYYZ!

User Info Menu

The drummer in that video is brian tichy. He seems like a very good drummer. Certainly does bonham extremely well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lexer View Post
    The world was introduced to John Henry Bonham with the song “ good times bad times”. Bear in mind, he was only 19 years old. Not only is his playing amazing but so is the creativity of how he came up with that groove in the first place. I love when drummers say, “ i can play that, its not that hard”. The point is, he had the creative ability to come up with that groove in the first place. Most musicians are great at copying but not very good at coming up with their own stuff from scratch. .
    I agree, anyone can be a copycat, (thats what I do) but to come up with that stuff on your own and have hit after hit?? Pfttt that's a whole different level that most never achieve. Stan Lynch immediately comes to mind.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO