Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: John Bonham

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    Olimpass thanks fro that! I've Watched severla time sbefore, but always 16 minutes ot watch it again!
    I'm a big fan of felt strips and next batter change I do on my kick will be back to an Emporer with felt strip...back to the old school....none of this fancy EMAD, PS, SK stuff.....

Thanks droptune. I've seen this alot before too but this has added vid I've not seen before with the Amber Vista Kit tuning and info that was new to me.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-28-2020 at 08:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Same here seen it before but not the new added version.

doctor dirt Guest

If you like Bonham you like Appice, no Appice no Bonham!!! All the things that Bonham did that became signature moves and sounds are basicly from Carmine Appice whos band the Vanilla Fudge took Zep. on tour with them as their opening act. Bonham watched and learned from Appice's triplet offerings and the basic approach to rock drumming. A few years before Zep toured with the Fudge my band back then opened for the Fudge through out the New England circuit so I know personally the effect that Carmine had on up and coming drummers like Bonham. Another huge influence back then was Dino Danelli from the Young Rascals, he used big sizes and tuned them high also and was probably the fastest rock drummer of that era also. I opened for them too on the NE circuit, lotsa fun back then. I was deep into Blues by the time Zep. came along and other than Bonham and the bassists thought Page and Plant were clowns live, good in the studio but live they were just to goofy for me. I like all of the drummers back then from Ringo to Bonham and I think the best musicians in todays pop bands are the Drummers!!!! Doc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    If you like Bonham you like Appice, no Appice no Bonham!!! All the things that Bonham did that became signature moves and sounds are basicly from Carmine Appice whos band the Vanilla Fudge took Zep. on tour with them as their opening act. Bonham watched and learned from Appice's triplet offerings and the basic approach to rock drumming. Doc.

Ya , surely believable, everybody was copping others and Appice was kind of 'the first' in that genre, for sure.....but then again he wasn't in with the other 3 guys was he, to make the great Zep!?
    But I also think its embellished a bit in print. Bonham didn't sit on the sidelines and watch...he listened to the Fudges record and picked up 'some ' of Carmine's bits. I mean you can hear lots of other drummers stuff in Bonhams early licks...Rich, Krupa....and he had the chops and would have done well even if he'd never met Appice. Maybe he'd even have continued playing Slingerlands, or Premiers.

I hear you though...lost of unknown contributions out there. Danelli was great too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    If you like Bonham you like Appice, no Appice no Bonham!!! All the things that Bonham did that became signature moves and sounds are basicly from Carmine Appice whos band the Vanilla Fudge took Zep. on tour with them as their opening act. Bonham watched and learned from Appice's triplet offerings and the basic approach to rock drumming. A few years before Zep toured with the Fudge my band back then opened for the Fudge through out the New England circuit so I know personally the effect that Carmine had on up and coming drummers like Bonham.
    I agree that Appice had an influence on Bonham. But I'm sure Appice wasn't the only influence. I believe John Bonham did something magic with his learning and it radiates from his style and technique.

User Info Menu

I'd just like to say something here. First of all I was influenced by Bonham when I first heard him and he was great.

With that said, I'd also like to agree that there are many other great drummers from that era. A few have been mentioned above. It gets kind of tiresome to watch people on youtube try and cover a Zeppelin song. He wasn't the only cool drummer from the 60's n 70's.

i understand people are not saying he was
    Last edited by slinky; 04-18-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Just listened to Poor Tom, AWESOME!

User Info Menu

Found this vid of Carmine Appice talking about meeting John Bonham ...

Last edited by Olimpass; 04-11-2017 at 10:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Just listened to Poor Tom, AWESOME!
    I love that riff

Last edited by Olimpass; 04-11-2017 at 09:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Please Rick do not give negative feedback cause you will upset some drummers who looked up to John Bonham. Maybe you did'nt but I think you should keep it to yourself. No offence here but I am sure some people in your years of drumming have called you sloppy or any other names that might of had hurt your feelings and you did not like it so please don't do it here. I know you will probably come back with an attack of some kind as I have read some of your early post where you are outspoken. Keep it friendly.
    I'm a huge Bonham fan and I have no problem with Rick saying his live playing was sloppy. At times, it was. Let's face it if you slug down a bunch of alcohol and get behind your kit, you will be a very sloppy player, and at times Bonham did just that. I still think he's one of the best rock drummers there was.

When I first started playing the club circuit , people would always be buying me beers during the night. By the time the last set rolled around I was all ****ed up and my playing suffered greatly because of it, and I quickly started saving the drinking for after the gig, not during. Lesson learned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I'm a huge Bonham fan and I have no problem with Rick saying his live playing was sloppy. At times, it was. Let's face it if you slug down a bunch of alcohol and get behind your kit, you will be a very sloppy player, and at times Bonham did just that. I still think he's one of the best rock drummers there was.

When I first started playing the club circuit , people would always be buying me beers during the night. By the time the last set rolled around I was all ****ed up and my playing suffered greatly because of it, and I quickly started saving the drinking for after the gig, not during. Lesson learned.
    Definitely. I played a show once where I had a few too many before our set. I played terrible. Haven't done it since.

User Info Menu

Love this pic

User Info Menu

They sure look young there. Jimmy Page looks about 18 or so. Just looking at that pic you can imagine yourself in that room that night listening to Led Zepellin.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-11-2012 at 04:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Bohnam got me started. My brother basically made us all watch The Song Remains The Same because we only had one TV in the house at that time. But I was hooked by the time Rock and Roll was over. It was then that I decided I wanted to be a serious drummer. All Ihad at the time was a snare drum. I begged and pleaded to get therest of the kit. Then low and behold I was given an old CB700 kit with well worn black dot heads on it. Good memories

User Info Menu

Cozy Approves..

John Bonham and Cozy Powell by olimpass, on Flickr
    Last edited by Olimpass; 11-14-2017 at 07:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Question Re: John Bonham

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Cozy Approves..

Who is in the pic man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Who is in the pic man.
    That's John Bonham and Cozy Powell.

User Info Menu

Yeah I thought that was Bonham he just looked different but the other guy Cozy never heard of him till I looked him up. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I love that riff
    +1. Awesome groove!

User Info Menu

I thought that I would throw this in. We just missed John's 32 anniversary of his death on the 25 of September. RIP John you are gone but not forgotten.

User Info Menu

Cozy Powell's no slouch either!
    Last edited by slinglander; 09-28-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: sp
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

If I may say...My life changed for ever back in 1983 when I heard for the first time ''IMMIGRANT SONG'' I knew I wanted to play drums. We all got different points of views, idols, mentors and artist who inspire us with their styles and form of musical expressions, like others mention, in my opinion John was way ahead of his time for his power, the way he grooved freestyle improv and different compliments of styles he played. This guy was from another dimension. R.I.P John.... believe me you are being missed by music.
    Last edited by IvandrumsdW; 10-10-2012 at 04:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Led Zeppelin has gotten back together to do something. Was in the paper the other day. don't know who will drum. The picture just showed the three of them. John Paul Jones looks like he hasn't aged. weird.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Led Zeppelin has gotten back together to do something. Was in the paper the other day. don't know who will drum. The picture just showed the three of them. John Paul Jones looks like he hasn't aged. weird.
    According to an article I read, it's going to be Jason Bonham.