Drum Domains
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 264

Thread: John Bonham

  1. #201

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I always thought that Heart was a better band then Zep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Heart is well known as being very heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin.
    Definitely easier on the eyes!

    I was in love with Ann in the 80's..................her and Stevie Nicks!

  2. #202

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Heart is well known as being very heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin.


    Having seen Heart numerous times and sometimes other things, I have never heard anything in their playing that reminded me of zep

  3. #203

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    When I was a kid Ann Wilson and Roger ? The guitar player rented a house on our street in Tsawwassen (Vancouver area) when they were first starting out with "Magic Man" etc, Nancy Wilson and I guess the drummer woud come over to their place all the time, Mushroom records was about 1/2 hr away.. Roger would play guitar in the back yard for us kids but they never invited us inside. .I wonder why
    And yes on many tracks they reference Led Zeppelin, they also did some of their songs on some live records Stairway to Heaven, Battle of evermore, they also performed with Jason Bonham at Kennedy Center in 2012
    Last edited by myk; 03-04-2016 at 04:50 PM.

  4. #204

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Having seen Heart numerous times and sometimes other things, I have never heard anything in their playing that reminded me of zep
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-11-2017 at 10:19 PM.

  5. #205

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    I just watched that Olympass. Very cool
    Last edited by myk; 03-04-2016 at 07:21 PM.

  6. #206

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    I've listened to several songs by Heart spread out over a period of time and still fail to hear any zep in there.

    Playing a song by a given band doesn't mean that that band is a influence. It can just mean that you like the song.

    Over the years, I've heard so many drummers say that Buddy was a big influence on their playing. At the same time, listening to them play a lot of times, there is nothing that even remotely resembles anything Rich did.

    Some people can really hear something that is a obvious influence from a different band and some people hear what they want to hear, whether it's there or not, and some people just don't hear it.

    I don't hear it. I can live with that.

  7. #207

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham


    Acoustic & Electronic:
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch)
    Premier Artist Maple (with Birch Snare) - yellow/fusion.
    Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76)
    Roland TD-1KV

    Paiste Signature:
    10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18", 20" Full Crash

    Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

    Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride

    Paiste Sound Formula:
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

    Paiste Twenty:
    16" China


  8. #208

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    I saw that performance months ago and I thought Heart/Jason Bonham did a great job on Stairway to heaven. I was surprised to see tears coming out of Jimmy Page. Great performance.

  9. #209

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    +1
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

    "How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

  10. #210

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I saw that performance months ago and I thought Heart/Jason Bonham did a great job on Stairway to heaven. I was surprised to see tears coming out of Jimmy Page. Great performance.
    An incredible performance. I've watched it many times!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  11. #211

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I've listened to several songs by Heart spread out over a period of time and still fail to hear any zep in there.

    Playing a song by a given band doesn't mean that that band is a influence. It can just mean that you like the song.

    Over the years, I've heard so many drummers say that Buddy was a big influence on their playing. At the same time, listening to them play a lot of times, there is nothing that even remotely resembles anything Rich did.

    Some people can really hear something that is a obvious influence from a different band and some people hear what they want to hear, whether it's there or not, and some people just don't hear it.

    I don't hear it. I can live with that.
    It's all semantics Rick. To be influenced by someone does not mean you have to sound like them. In fact I'm glad when people don't go around trying to sound like the people that influenced them.

    To be influenced by, is the same as being "inspired" by.

    all the best...

  12. #212

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I've listened to several songs by Heart spread out over a period of time and still fail to hear any zep in there.

    Playing a song by a given band doesn't mean that that band is a influence. It can just mean that you like the song.

    Over the years, I've heard so many drummers say that Buddy was a big influence on their playing. At the same time, listening to them play a lot of times, there is nothing that even remotely resembles anything Rich did.

    Some people can really hear something that is a obvious influence from a different band and some people hear what they want to hear, whether it's there or not, and some people just don't hear it.

    I don't hear it. I can live with that.
    Even if Heart never covered a Zep tune, you'd still have a solid argument saying that Zep had a heavy influence on them. I'm not talking about the drumming either.

  13. #213

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Even if Heart never covered a Zep tune, you'd still have a solid argument saying that Zep had a heavy influence on them. I'm not talking about the drumming either.
    I have to agree with the "don't hear it" crowd.
    Heart = heavy rock-pop singles. Kinda faux-heavy.
    Zep... doesn't. At all.

    And I would think "influenced" goes more to actual performance than "inspired" which is more a "that was cool" kind of thing.

    But I'm a noob and not a Heart aficionado. So what do I know?

  14. #214

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    We must agree to disagree.

  15. #215

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    You know, it's hard to pinpoint sometimes from where someone gets their inspiration/influence. You might listen to my excuse for drumming and not hear anything, but I know for a fact that at a certain point what I'm doing I took from Bonham. That doesn't mean he was the one who did it first or the one who did it really often so it was a trademark of his, it does mean however that it was inspired from his playing.

    Anyway, pretty much everything rock/hard rock and even metal in some ways after LZ is one way or another inspired from them...and our lord and saviour, Jimi

  16. #216

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    I always smile when rock players get all the credit for certain things. One of my faves is the so called "Bonham triplets", totally regardless of the fact that Elvin Jones and those guys were doing that stuff since the fifties.

    LOL

    all the best...

  17. #217

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    /\ This very often true.

  18. #218

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I always smile when rock players get all the credit for certain things. One of my faves is the so called "Bonham triplets", totally regardless of the fact that Elvin Jones and those guys were doing that stuff since the fifties.

    LOL

    all the best...
    I respect your opinion kay-gee. Yes, John Bonham was coined with "Bonham Triplets" partly because of his popularity but not without his skills backing up incredible triplet usage throughout his playing. Especially his right foot!
    Yes, it's been done before. For all we know, cave men did it too.

  19. #219

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Michael Derosier Drummer of Hearts earlier albums (1975 - 1982) is practically a Bonham clone, he sounds like he was heavily influenced by Bonham and Zeppelin. A very good drummer.

  20. #220

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    There is a site that has a list and vids of early, post Zep, Bonham-sounding drummers. Some really do sound inspired, copying the sound. Check Billy Squier's drummer who nailed the Bonham fills and sound in"Lonely is the Night."
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

    http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

  21. #221

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    I've heard early recording sessions were pretty primitive compared to todays standards so did John ever do any punching in on songs to fix parts or make something better? if a form of that was available
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian REGAL TiP

  22. #222

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Not sure if Bonzo or LZ ever used the procedure but it did exist.

    I'm thinking of Eddie Offord and how some of the early YES material developed.
    Bill Bruford once said there was so many splices in the tapes that once they got it all put together, the band would then need to learn that version of the composition to be able to play it live.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  23. #223

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Yesterday marked John's 69th birthday. I'm sure if he were still with us, he'd still be a helluva drummer.

    Happy Birthday John!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

  24. #224

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Yesterday marked John's 69th birthday. I'm sure if he were still with us, he'd still be a helluva drummer.

    Happy Birthday John!
    Definitely! Happy Birthday Bonzo.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  25. #225

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: John Bonham

    I love everything about john bonham. Even his more simplistic tracks blow me away. Listen to his drum track for " all of my love ", just awesome.
    I also love the sound of his drums as well.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •