Thread: John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default John Bonham

John Henry Bonham - Drummer

bonham by olimpass, on Flickr

Drummer: John Henry Bonham
    Main Style: Rock
    Main Band: Led Zeppelin
    Brief Summary: (May 31st 1948 – September 25th 1980) John Henry Bonham was a British musician and songwriter. Bonham was esteemed for his speed, power, fast right foot, distinctive sound, and "feel" for the groove. He is widely considered to be one of the greatest drummers in the history of rock music by many drummers, other musicians, and commentators in the industry. Over 30 years after his death, Bonham continues to garner awards and praise, including a Rolling Stone readers' pick in 2011 placing him in first place of the magazine's "best drummers of all time".

Other Facts: In addition to recording with Led Zeppelin, Bonham also found time to play on sessions for other artists. In 1969 Bonham appeared on The Family Dogg's A Way of Life, with Page and Jones. Bonham also sessioned for Screaming Lord Sutch on his album Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends in 1970. He played drums on Lulu's 1971 song "Everybody Clap," originally written by Maurice Gibb and Billy Lawrie. In 1972 he played drums on a Maurice Gibb produced album by Jimmy Stevens called Don't Freak Me Out in the UK and Paid My Dues in the US, credited as Gemini (given his star sign). Later in his career, Bonham drummed for his Birmingham friend, Roy Wood, on his 1979 album, On the Road Again, and on Wings' album Back to the Egg on the tracks "Rockestra Theme" and "So Glad to See You Here". Bonham was the best man of Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi at his wedding ceremony.

Famous Drummers
    Last edited by Olimpass; 11-14-2017 at 07:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: John Bonham

It is unbelievable the amount of drummers Bonham has influenced. You still hear drummers reference "Bonham triplets" today. This guy was way ahead of his time. Listen to the other bands from that same era. Bonham's drumming stood out like a sore thumb.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 04-11-2017 at 09:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    It is unbelievable the amount of drummers Bonham has influenced. You still hear drummers reference "Bonham triplets" today. This guy was way ahead of his time. Listen to the other bands from that same era. Bonham's drumming stood out like a sore thumb.

Bohnam did not originate those triplets. Morello and Rich had used them as far back as the 50's. I was doing them when I was 15 or 16.

He may have brought them back into the light, but he did not start them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Bohnam did not originate those triplets. Morello and Rich had used them as far back as the 50's. I was doing them when I was 15 or 16.

I have to agree with Rick on this one. Even Bonham would have said that he got them from watching or listening to Buddy Rich. Same with Ian Paice, Cozy Powell, Bill Bruford, Aynsley Dunbar, Carl Palmer, Ginger Baker, Phil Collins, etc, that whole generation of English drummers that later on became the big stars of English rock drumming in the early to mid 70's and beyond were all in awe of jazz drummers Buddy Rich, Joe Morello, Max Roach, Louis Bellson, Tony Williams and so forth.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

while i definitely agree that he didn't originate them, he really made them part of his style. they aren't called "rich triplets"

User Info Menu

There's triplets and then there's BONHAM triplets as far as I'm concerned...lol

User Info Menu

I agree with Olimpass cause you never here of the Buddy Rich triplets or Gene Kupra triplets or any other drummers except the John Bonham triplets. So he basically revived and brought them back in the 70's as a fad for drummers to try and master.

User Info Menu

I think we all agree that a triplet is a triplet, and it sounds fantabulous when played

I used to play triplets all the time, haha my teacher was like "you like triplets, don't cha?"
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

I agree with Mrs Smith, a triplet is a triplet.

Calling them Bonham triplets, implied that he conjured them up, which he didn't. That's all I was pointing out.

User Info Menu

Yeah, African drummers have been hammering out triplets since the days of yore as well. After all, I suppose that's where the vast majority of Western drumming really has it's roots from, when you trace it all back, from rhythm and blues, jazz, Latin, most rhythms really.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

a triplet by any other name ...is a triplet....and Bonham was modest, so would even say so. But IMO nobody's sound as good as his, and are as in the 'right place' as Bonhams.

User Info Menu

John Bonham behind a Jr. kit...lol
    Last edited by Olimpass; 10-19-2017 at 09:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Bonham was incredible, definitely one of the greatest rock drummers of all time. Every time I hear a Zeppelin song on the radio I know it's them right away because of the drumming. His style is unmistakeable and just so unique.
    Matt

User Info Menu

http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm

posted before in its own thread here on DC

for those who haven't experienced raw samples of the last great

User Info Menu

I didn't say he started them Rick. I said "You still hear drummers reference "Bonham triplets" today." That's because he was known for that notorious rock triplet fill. Of course triplets themselves have been around since the dark ages. Maybe before Christ, I don't know. Caveman days?

User Info Menu

I agree with Mrs Smith, a triplet is a triplet.

Calling them Bonham triplets, implied that he conjured them up, which he didn't. That's all I was pointing out.
    Implications, like assumptions, are subject to interpretation.

User Info Menu

As odd as it may sound, I miss what he may have done had he not passed. Would have loved to hear how he progressed and evolved.
    My uncle had Zepp concert tickets in hand for a Chicago show he was going to take me to and John passed before the show. It really broke my heart.
    Very influential person, STILL.

User Info Menu

These are the things that I don't understand. Why would you even try that crap. Bonham, Joplin, Hendrix, Moon, and how many more.

Did they think they were the one's that could do stuff and walk away from it when they wanted.

I have to be honest and say that I was not a Bonham fan. I saw them in the late 70's and all I can say was that his playing was sloppy, but I don't underestimate his influence on drummers.

It's sad when anyone dies young, but when they brought it on themselves, it's even sadder.

User Info Menu

i think his best drumming was on In Through The Out Door and it was at the time the booze was taking him over. his rehearsal tapes on utube for Fool in the Rain show that he was frustrated, yes he was a sloppy drummer but he was a powerful drummer, im sloppy. heck! for 30 years i never knew Jimmy Page was a heroin addict, that explains his lousy performance at the ARMS Benefit concert i saw back in the 80s in NYC, he was terrible.
    i dont think Zep would have been without him, his drumming fit the music.

User Info Menu

These are the things that I don't understand. Why would you even try that crap. Bonham, Joplin, Hendrix, Moon, and how many more.

Did they think they were the one's that could do stuff and walk away from it when they wanted.

I have to be honest and say that I was not a Bonham fan. I saw them in the late 70's and all I can say was that his playing was sloppy, but I don't underestimate his influence on drummers.

It's sad when anyone dies young, but when they brought it on themselves, it's even sadder.
    Please Rick do not give negative feedback cause you will upset some drummers who looked up to John Bonham. Maybe you did'nt but I think you should keep it to yourself. No offence here but I am sure some people in your years of drumming have called you sloppy or any other names that might of had hurt your feelings and you did not like it so please don't do it here. I know you will probably come back with an attack of some kind as I have read some of your early post where you are outspoken. Keep it friendly.

User Info Menu

John Bonham has influenced countless drummers and even non-drummers which it still continues with his legendary sound.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-19-2012 at 08:25 AM.

User Info Menu

I love Bonham's drumming. One of the many drummers outside of the heavy metal circle that I draw influence from.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Please Rick do not give negative feedback cause you will upset some drummers who looked up to John Bonham. Maybe you did'nt but I think you should keep it to yourself. No offence here but I am sure some people in your years of drumming have called you sloppy or any other names that might of had hurt your feelings and you did not like it so please don't do it here. I know you will probably come back with an attack of some kind as I have read some of your early post where you are outspoken. Keep it friendly.

PMM,

I didn't think that it would offend a bunch of people with my 1 opinion. Not everybody is a fan of everybody.

I said that I never underestimated his influence on countless drummers. I also don't think my opinion is going to stop people from enjoying his playing.

I said what happened to these people is sad, but it isn't like I gave away a secret of what happened to them.

My playing is sloppy now in my old age, but, I was never called sloppy on stage because I was drunk or high.

I'm not going to apologize for stateing facts.

User Info Menu

PMM,

I didn't think that it would offend a bunch of people with my 1 opinion. Not everybody is a fan of everybody.

I said that I never underestimated his influence on countless drummers. I also don't think my opinion is going to stop people from enjoying his playing.

I said what happened to these people is sad, but it isn't like I gave away a secret of what happened to them.

My playing is sloppy now in my old age, but, I was never called sloppy on stage because I was drunk or high.

I'm not going to apologize for stateing facts.
    And you shouldn't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether other folks like it or not. You're absolutely right....Not everybody is a fan of everybody.