Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ian Paice

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ian Paice

Highway Star isolated
    Last edited by Olimpass; 08-04-2018 at 10:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Burn isolated
    Last edited by Olimpass; 08-04-2018 at 10:49 PM.

User Info Menu

I really like his work with Gary Moore. I have Victims Of The Future on cassette. His drums really stand out on that album, big sound. Would like to find it on cd.

Bobby Chouinard! was also on it.
    Last edited by slinky; 10-18-2013 at 07:42 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Ian Paice

If I had to pick a favorite drummer, it's probably a shoot out between Keith Moon, Don Brewer, Mitch Mitchell and Ian Paice. Ian's work on Deep Purple MkII is just utterly fantastic. He threw in so many tasty fills in his playing, but didn't overplay at the same time. That's a guy who I model my drumming after.

User Info Menu

Have you seen him lately (I.P)? Hasn't slowed down a bit and is a tasty as ever. Love his fills, especially the stuff he pull off on the snare.

User Info Menu

Very good drummer one of my favorite. He has started at 15 years and on 19 years already played in Deep purple. That is amazing! He is Buddy Rich in rock music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TxDrummer View Post
    Like we all have stated. "what a drummer!" I saw him with Whitesnake back in 81 at Hammersmith Odeon, before Whitesnake when "hairband". Jim Lord was with them as well! I really like Deep Purple Mark V with the album Come Taste the Band. Yea it was not the usual DP stuff, but the whole album had a great groove to it.
    Cone taste the band is a great album. That was the first Deep Purple album that I heard Ian using some smaller toms on.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting those drum tracks, Olimpass. That was fun. I don't think I've heard a clearer example of playing "ahead" of the beat than Paice's performance on Burn. When the drums are heard outside of the context of the entire band, his performance at first sounds like he's rushing, but he's not. Listen to the naked drum performance, then listen to the original recording with the band. Paice's performance is a perfect example of how to drive a rock song. Ian Paice was always one of my top favorite drummers, and a huge influence on me, and those tracks only reinforce my admiration for one of the best rock drummers ever.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Thanks for posting those drum tracks, Olimpass. That was fun. I don't think I've heard a clearer example of playing "ahead" of the beat than Paice's performance on Burn. When the drums are heard outside of the context of the entire band, his performance at first sounds like he's rushing, but he's not. Listen to the naked drum performance, then listen to the original recording with the band. Paice's performance is a perfect example of how to drive a rock song. Ian Paice was always one of my top favorite drummers, and a huge influence on me, and those tracks only reinforce my admiration for one of the best rock drummers ever.

GeeDeeEmm
    Thanks gdm! That's what it's about. Sharing cool stuff is fun. I really love hearing the raw drum tracks and Ian is amazing!

Found another: Space Truckin'
    Last edited by Olimpass; 08-04-2018 at 10:43 PM.

User Info Menu

That forward, on top inertia can't work without a good band behind you. Most often the band will accelerate making this feel impossible.
    I did an EP a few years back, I did all the drum tracks alone to just a click. The band came in and layered up over the existing drum track. The feel is super laid back, and it was more the band putting the feel around the solid drum track, not the drummer laying back the feel.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I really like his work with Gary Moore. I have Victims Of The Future on cassette. His drums really stand out on that album, big sound. Would like to find it on cd.

Bobby Chouinard! was also on it.
    I love that album, I did not know it was Paice.
    Murder in the Sky is my favourite song, that song cooks.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Ian is another great drummer of the 70 era. Love the sound of his Ludwig or Pearl not much difference in sound. The drum are nice and clear and distorted. Also notice he is a left hand drummer or it seem to look like it by looking at the kit's placement. Great videos

User Info Menu

Ian has very good chops. I love his drumming for my woman from tokyo and for some reason i love his sound on the song Perfect Strangers.

User Info Menu

Ian Paice probably had the Best snare drum technique out of any rock drummer in history. He was a master on the snare drum. He was also/ is a huge proponent of rudiments.

User Info Menu

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN