Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charlie Watts

User Info Menu

Default Re: Charlie Watts

The people that knock Watts are the same 1's that will tell you that Ringo is a great drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    Ha, I think you may be goading us. Stiff, sure, he's no stick twirler (thank god for that).
    Umm, Charlie has had a jazz/orchestral band in his off time with the Stones, for years. He started in jazz before the Stones. I think he knows "swing" and how to swing. Check in at the 5 min mark.
    That was really cool.

I played piano for 5-6 years when I was a young kid and boogie was my favorite. I had a book that had several different boogies in it that I learned and then I experimented around and did some of my own.

Thanks for posting that!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Had to post this... same kit and cymbals (minus China) for more than 40 years...

User Info Menu

I'm telling you. Get a Gretsch set and you will never need any other set for 40, 50, 100 years! This is a dude that could afford any set and as many as he wants. And that flat ride is a UFIP to boot! Wow

all the best...

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think that's an old model UFIP 18" flat ride he's got, if I remember reading about his gear years ago. He does well with it.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I love this one...

what kind of sticks or rods are those he's using I wonder?
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-21-2020 at 11:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    . Stiff, sure, he's no stick twirler (thank god for that).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg1uo...eature=related
    D ick Cavett interview with Buddy Rich back in the day.

D ick:But Charlie Watts can twirl his sticks.

Buddy:Yeah,but I can play.

Pretty much says it all.
    Last edited by pgm554; 06-12-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I love Charlie, not just in terms of drums, but he just seems like such a gentleman. I could imagine sitting down and having a few pints with him. Here he is drumming for over 50 years in one of the most successful rock groups ever, and yet just appears so un-rock-starrish!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I enjoy Charlie Watts' work a lot. I play along with Rolling Stones recordings often. Recently Mr. Watts' drumming has become much more complex and intricate. In the early days it was just a basic drum beat for the whole song, but that's how music was in the 1960's for lots of groups, not just the Stones.

Being an artist is important. Who designs the stages? Who designs the album covers and jackets? There is a lot more to the Rolling Stones than playing music. Not everyone can do it. Touring bands are away from home a lot. That’s not an easy life. Look at the photos from the Altamont concert. The stage was only three feet high, at the bottom of a hill. The audience was closing in, the Hells Angels were in charge of security and it was starting to get violent. The Stones went through stuff like that again and again.

User Info Menu

I've always been a big fan. He's not flashy, but he's steady, tasteful and keeps the beat driving. Other drummers may have more technical skill, but IMO, Charlie is a master at playing for the song. His drumming always fills it's responsibility to the song.....never any more, never any less. That's always been my personal goal as a drummer.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I've always been a big fan. He's not flashy, but he's steady, tasteful and keeps the beat driving. Other drummers may have more technical skill, but IMO, Charlie is a master at playing for the song. His drumming always fills it's responsibility to the song.....never any more, never any less. That's always been my personal goal as a drummer.
    Right on!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

love this .. no click .. just a lot of feel.. classic. Charlie didn't play the cowbell on this song.

Last edited by slinky; 05-24-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I believe Charlie actually uses a vintage Slingy Radio King kit when he tours in Europe. He has a friend over seas that lets him borrow it. That way he doesn’t have to ship his Gretsch.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    Fine recording group but live they're terrible! Saw them on the first tour here before their fame came around and they were boo'ed mightly at the old New Haven Arena. They were playing Chuck Berry's music and it was horrible the drummer was playing it straight and the only musician I heard was the bassists who was solid and had a heavy bass sound. The drummer has played the same 2 beats in every song altering them slightly. The most boring welknown drummer ever, I know hes a great guy and is stuck working in a very loose rythmn section but hes not a great drummer by any means and hes barely good. He happens to fit what the group does about 50% of the time and theres no way he fits into any other group where the drummer comes out of the pocket. Can you imagine that guy playing with Jimi Hendrix or the Beatles?? A stiffer drummer I've never seen!!! Zero swing in his playing and totally one dimentional. No offense to the gentlman and hes certainly made a mark in the recording industry but hes not a talented player, hes a controled pocket guy who is limited in options as to methods and techniques.
    Doc.
    I take the gravest possible exception.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Yeah, I think that's an old model UFIP 18" flat ride he's got, if I remember reading about his gear years ago. He does well with it.
    Everyone thinks that. It is a 16" UFIP flat top ride, ultra rare. Charlie found it in the back of an old drum shop in Paris years ago.

User Info Menu

Charlie Watts passed today. 80 years old. R.I.P.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the great music Charlie you were one of a kind.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

So sad. At least he had a long, fulfilling life. Thank you Charlie Watts for the contribution you made to drumming and rock and roll.

Attachment 17513
    Image Credit: nbcphiladelphia.com

User Info Menu

Very sad news. R.I.P Fella.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    So sad. At least he had a long, fulfilling life. Thank you Charlie Watts for the contribution you made to drumming and rock and roll.

Attachment 17513
    Image Credit: nbcphiladelphia.com
    Well said......RIP Mr. Watts.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Sitting in this restaurant with Start Me Up playing makes me miss Charlie and that cool snare all over again ☹
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Ginger Baker from Beware Mr Baker telling his good friend Charlie Watts that the reason he doesn't take Stones tickets from him is that they aren't a very good band.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes