Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Watts

User Info Menu

Default Charlie Watts

Charlie Watts

Drummer: Charles Robert Watts
    Style: Rock
    Main Bands: Rolling Stones
    Brief Summary: After attending the University of Westminster as a graphic art student, Watts joined Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated in 1961 while traveling back and forth from Denmark as a graphic artist. He later met Brian Jones, Ian Stewart, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in 1962 but didn’t join the Rolling Stones until January 1963.

Other Facts: Watt’s is an accomplished graphic artist and is said to have sketched every hotel room he stayed in while on tour with the Rolling Stones. In July 2006, Watts was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame with Ringo Starr, Keith Moon, Steve Gadd, Buddy Rich and other famous drummers.

Back to Famous Drummers
    Last edited by late8; 09-01-2011 at 03:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Charlie Watts

Wow, I didn't know he was a graphic artist!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Wow, I didn't know was a graphic artist!
    Yeah he was. Plus I think he also had an apprenticeship with a tailor in Saville Row. And here's a lil' trivia....in London at that time, Charlie Watts' house was just up the road from where Mum and Dad were living, way before the days of the Rolling Stones. I think they were six doors away or something, because Mum will tell me about all the arguements and fights that used to be heard all the way down the street, lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Very relaxed drummer,love the Stones

User Info Menu

One of my all time drum heros. Just so laid back and un-rock star-ish, while being the back bone of arguably the greatest rock n roll band ever!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Love the stones!

User Info Menu

Best dressed drummer on the planet. Loves ya Charlie!

User Info Menu

Love his style, it really works for him. One of the drummers I played along to the most.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

classic druimmer; love the way he misses the 4th on the HH; it's his signature and i think it sounds great. Honky Tonk Woman is my favourite Stones track to play.
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

missing the 4th on the HH was taught him by Jim Keltner...a recording trick so you can hear the snare clearer on mic. its fun to fool around with that little trick, while drumming. it screws me up sometimes, but once you get it going its kinda fun.
    i love charlie, a great groove drummer to play along to. he's also such a soft spoken, genuine, modest guy in interviews....a really cool cat.

doctor dirt Guest

Fine recording group but live they're terrible! Saw them on the first tour here before their fame came around and they were boo'ed mightly at the old New Haven Arena. They were playing Chuck Berry's music and it was horrible the drummer was playing it straight and the only musician I heard was the bassists who was solid and had a heavy bass sound. The drummer has played the same 2 beats in every song altering them slightly. The most boring welknown drummer ever, I know hes a great guy and is stuck working in a very loose rythmn section but hes not a great drummer by any means and hes barely good. He happens to fit what the group does about 50% of the time and theres no way he fits into any other group where the drummer comes out of the pocket. Can you imagine that guy playing with Jimi Hendrix or the Beatles?? A stiffer drummer I've never seen!!! Zero swing in his playing and totally one dimentional. No offense to the gentlman and hes certainly made a mark in the recording industry but hes not a talented player, hes a controled pocket guy who is limited in options as to methods and techniques.
    Doc.

User Info Menu

Always love his style and sound of his drums. Charlie is one of the best out there and for his age he still plays mean drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbkk View Post
    classic druimmer; love the way he misses the 4th on the HH; it's his signature and i think it sounds great. Honky Tonk Woman is my favourite Stones track to play.
    actually Charlie misses the "and" between 2 and 3 on the hats.
    i have the same quirk.
    Charlie actually offsets his hat hit from the snare hit which gives him that unique beat, like in "Miss You"
    Last edited by kyle102565; 04-01-2012 at 02:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    Can you imagine that guy playing with Jimi Hendrix or the Beatles?? A stiffer drummer I've never seen!!! Zero swing in his playing and totally one dimentional. No offense to the gentlman and hes certainly made a mark in the recording industry but hes not a talented player, hes a controled pocket guy who is limited in options as to methods and techniques.
    Doc.
    Ha, I think you may be goading us. Stiff, sure, he's no stick twirler (thank god for that).
    Umm, Charlie has had a jazz/orchestral band in his off time with the Stones, for years. He started in jazz before the Stones. I think he knows "swing" and how to swing. Check in at the 5 min mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg1uo...eature=related

doctor dirt Guest

Your kidding right? Anyone can play what he played just because a person becomes famous doesn't mean their talents are at a high level.
    hes close to dropping a beat when he tries to hit the down on the cymbal to the far right. He recovers because its the same thing hes done for 45 years.
    Why can't someone have a different opinion then the general group? I'm not saying the guys a child molestor I'm stating hes an ordinary drummer with limited skills and he doesn't swing from within. He can have big bands because hes a millionaire hahahaha!!! Not sure if McCoy Tinner or Herbie Han**** has called on him for sessions or tours yet, ya think? I saw him play live 3 times and they were about 10 years apart, I thought they sounded like a kids garage band and other than Jagger using Tina Turners act they had no appeal to me. I'm not implying anyone should feel as I do, if someone likes them and him alot thats fine. I'm just stating my opinion based on what I've seen and heard. I like alot of the bands songs but their playing live isn't good to me. I've been a full time player for 50 years, I have a pretty good repitiore and people who know me personally respect my opinions. I'm NOT saying anyone has to but I am entitled to mine as you are to yours. Fare! Doc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    Your kidding right? Anyone can play what he played just because a person becomes famous doesn't mean their talents are at a high level.
    hes close to dropping a beat when he tries to hit the down on the cymbal to the far right. He recovers because its the same thing hes done for 45 years.
    Why can't someone have a different opinion then the general group? I'm not saying the guys a child molestor I'm stating hes an ordinary drummer with limited skills and he doesn't swing from within. He can have big bands because hes a millionaire hahahaha!!! Not sure if McCoy Tinner or Herbie Han**** has called on him for sessions or tours yet, ya think? I saw him play live 3 times and they were about 10 years apart, I thought they sounded like a kids garage band and other than Jagger using Tina Turners act they had no appeal to me. I'm not implying anyone should feel as I do, if someone likes them and him alot thats fine. I'm just stating my opinion based on what I've seen and heard. I like alot of the bands songs but their playing live isn't good to me. I've been a full time player for 50 years, I have a pretty good repitiore and people who know me personally respect my opinions. I'm NOT saying anyone has to but I am entitled to mine as you are to yours. Fare! Doc

Love how Han**** got censored...you Yanks are too funny!

User Info Menu

Charlie was on this too.....

User Info Menu

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I don't think that Charlie's playing will ever be mistaken for Buddy's Neil's or Vinnie's, but I think that is missing the point. A drummer has to "play for the song" and Mr Watts does that time and time again. His loose style fits Mick and Keith's writing. Estimated sales of Rolling Stones albums is over two hundred million. I've been a fan since I was a kid and I appreciate what he does.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

I'm also a non Charlie Watts fan. My opinion, he was in the right place at the right time.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 06-04-2012 at 06:51 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I'm also a non Charlie Watts fan. My opinion, he was in the right place at the right time.
    Heh, heh, heh...........everyone on this board wishes that they were Charlie Watts.

User Info Menu

Charlie Watts is certainly a pocket player, but can you really imagine something better for most of the Stones' songs?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Heh, heh, heh...........everyone on this board wishes that they were Charlie Watts.
    I'd certainly take his money and fame, I don't think I could have lasted a quarter of the time he has with a band like the Stones though. I'd go crazy playing that simplistically all the time. Still there's something to be said for his longevity, He's a legend for sure. Just not my thing.