Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Van Halen

User Info Menu

Default Alex Van Halen

Alex Van Halen

Drummer: Alexander Arthur Van Halen
    Style: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
    Main Bands: Van Halen
    Brief Summary: Born in Amsterdam in 1953, Alex and his brother Eddie began playing music together at an early age. Originally, it was Alex that played the guitar and Eddie played drums but the duo realized that Alex was a better drummer. Alex met Michael Anthony and David Lee Roth while attending Pasadena City College in California and in 1974 with his brother Eddie formed Van Halen and released their first album in 1978. Van Halen was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007.

Other Facts: Alex is an ordained minister and performed the wedding ceremony for his brother Eddie and now ex-sister-in-law Valerie Bertinelli in 1981.
    Last edited by late8; 09-01-2011 at 06:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alex Van Halen

I hate to correct you on the facts that Eddie married Valerie in 1981 and divorced in 2007. Their son Wolfgang " Wolfie " was born in 1991. No offence just the facts.

User Info Menu

Love Alex Van Halen, great on double bass,really shows on
    Hot For Teacher

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I hate to correct you on the facts that Eddie married Valerie in 1981 and divorced in 2007. Their son Wolfgang " Wolfie " was born in 1991. No offence just the facts.
    I don't know much info on Eddie and Val and ya they got divorced in 2007....2009 was a typo. No offense taken.
    Last edited by late8; 09-01-2011 at 06:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Alex rocking his classic hybrid kit from "Live Without A Net".

....and a short interview with him.

Last edited by Drumbledore; 05-09-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Alex Van Halen

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I don't know much info on Eddie and Val and ya they got divorced in 2007....2009 was a typo. No offense taken.
    I see you corrected it. No problem

User Info Menu

It still says sister in law though, haha. That guy has some really nice setups though, that's a great picture! Glad to see him up here.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    It still says sister in law though, haha. That guy has some really nice setups though, that's a great picture! Glad to see him up here.
    "Now ex-sister-in law" means at one time was a sister-in-law and now since the divorce decree is final "now ex". GEEZ!!!!

User Info Menu

Haha, everyone giving late8 a hard time. Avh is pretty solid, not among my top 10 or maybe even my top 20, but a great drummer none the less.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

"Now ex-sister-in law" means at one time was a sister-in-law and now since the divorce decree is final "now ex". GEEZ!!!!
    I forgot it was Eddie that married her and not Alex. Someone else told me it was Alex that married her, so my mistake.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    Haha, everyone giving late8 a hard time. Avh is pretty solid, not among my top 10 or maybe even my top 20, but a great drummer none the less.
    Thanks for trolling. This post brought absolutely nothing to this thread.

User Info Menu

Alex is one of my biggest influences. in fact him and Tommy Lee were the reasons I started playing.
    Alex is one of the most under-rated drummers around. Van Halen was notorious for recording live off the floor. Two of my favourite forgotten Van Halen tunes, incredible drumming.

Last edited by Northern Redneck; 09-03-2011 at 03:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for trolling. This post brought absolutely nothing to this thread.
    Oookay?

I wasn't meaning this in any sort of mean spirited way and I'm certainly not trolling. Don't know what I did to you, I wasn't the one throwing corrections out at you, maybe I should be more direct and say: "MAN, THATS FRUSTRATING THAT PEOPLE ARE RAGGING ON LATE8. THAT'S JUST WRONG."

I would be PMing a correction, as it is likely a mistake, rather than airing it in an open forum personally.

As far as what I said regarding Alex, I'm stating my opinion, this isn't a forum about top 10 or 20 drummers, it's about famous drummers, and Alex is certainly famous. He was a very, very good drummer, but I don't know that I would put him into a top 10 list of all time drummers. That's all I'm freaking saying man.

Nobody said everyone had to worship the ground these guys walked on. I'm sorry if he's one of your favorites, he's great, but he's just not one of mine.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Alright come on guys, no one is hating. A simple misunderstanding took place, just like I had a misunderstanding. Everyone has opinions about this and that, they can sometimes be taken out of context, but no harm was meant by any of it i'm sure. If I was trolling as well, i'm sorry but I was misled by word of mouth(I was not intentionally doing so). Hopefully we can keep it cool and go back to discussing AVH. I love this kit of his:
    Last edited by Russ; 09-03-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Larrysperf Guest

Ditto to what NR said hes amazing drummer. Thought Id add his bad back almost ended his drumming. Glad he still drums

User Info Menu

Big fan of Alex too. Wasn't that first picture from the Monsters of Rock stadium tour? I went to it in Candlestick Park. Luckily the affects wore off before they ended the show. I was behind the stage watching him from the back. That kit is one of the best ever.

I've heard that drum companys ask these guys if they wouldn't mind playing white kits for sales. Wonder if that was the case with that one. White kits are cool. They always remind me of a party band color and not so much for metal although Bill Ward played one at LiveAid.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

he inspired me at a young age but i lost interest when he built that goofy quad bass drum setup.
    definitely a power drummer, Jamies Crying i think was his best. rappers sampled it.

User Info Menu

Alright come on guys, no one is hating. A simple misunderstanding took place, just like I had a misunderstanding. Everyone has opinions about this and that, they can sometimes be taken out of context, but no harm was meant by any of it i'm sure. If I was trolling as well, i'm sorry but I was misled by word of mouth(I was not intentionally doing so). Hopefully we can keep it cool and go back to discussing AVH. I love this kit of his:
    Are those a bunch of mini bass drum woofers? They look like the rocket pods on an attack helicopter. I wonder what affect they have on sound? Anyone know more about that kit/setup?

Tan

User Info Menu

Alex was/is a massive influence on my drumming. Not so much for the double kick (which by the way was awesome and above anyone else's capabilities), but for showing me how to groove under what the guitarist is doing. If you really listen to what he does, he adds so much to the song which almost goes unnoticed to the untrained ear.
    Anyway, here's a few pics of my favourite era....enjoy.

Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Alex, IMO is very very underrated. The way he plays is so unique that in a way he doesnt play his drums like drums he plays them like another guitarist but still is very solid and lays down amazing groove. His fills and footwork are mind-boggling. Ever listened to the doublebass fills he does in Humans Being? right after the bridge part, and he does some in the intro if you can catch them. Bottomline:Alex VanHalen is kickass. He is in my top 10 for sure

User Info Menu

Lovers of big, crashable rides... as well as all things Paiste and 2oo2's in particular will appreciate his contribution: The 24" Paiste 2oo2 Reverend Al's Big Ride ... I love mine!
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

I miss those old heavily counterweighted cymbal stands. Nicko McBrain used them a lot too.

I gotta admit, Van Halen was a huge influence too. Especially the early stuff.
    Here's one of my faves.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uiqgwUs1l4"]Van Halen - Van Halen II - Light Up The Sky - YouTube[/ame]

User Info Menu

anybody have a pic of his Ludwigs from the first and second albums with the fire extinguishers? It looks like there mignt be one in the pic above with the cones on the kick. Probably my all time favorite video here....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1d8BVvY-I&feature=player_detailpage"]Van Halen-Unchained (Live) - YouTube[/ame]
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Happy Birthday Alex, I know because mines tomorrow
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN